Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brass Key posted:

Part of the problem with discussing video games in the same critical context as books or film is that, even now, video games are a young medium with all the awkwardness that entails. It took decades for directors to really get a handle on the effective presentation of film. Games are still finding that footing. It's only in the last few years that I've started to see games that experiment with the constraints of interactivity instead of going for the usual gameplay - cutscene - gameplay loop.

The other part of the problem is that a lot of video game writing is just really, really bad. I honestly don't get it. It's like the entire industry saw Avatar with its pretty scenery and paper-thin story and went "yes, this is perfect". Hiring a couple of writers to fix your poo poo can't possibly cost more than modelling all those fancy particle effects and snake monsters with boobs.

It's really not, though. The SNES came out 26 years ago, and the PS2 16 years ago. Comparably, film was more or less a developed medium by the 40s/50s, which was maybe 15 or 20 years after it was viable technologically

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I really think "Gamers" are the biggest obstacle to game criticism out there because they don't want either to look at their games in a critical manner like one would do with other story telling mediums or want negative reviews. The recent story of a well known contrarian game reviewer receiving death threats comes to mind on that front . Or a month or so bad I shared this video from Extra Credits about Tom Clancy's The Division on my facebook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jKsj345Jjw and at least one over wheliming reaction it got was one friend saying how he didn't care about the criticism and why do we have to talk about it he just wants to enjoy his game. We see this same thinking happening whenever you bring up issues of sex or race in the Games forum and hints of that here already.

the fact that the reddit nerdvoice fedoralord guy in that youtube series represents the reformist wing of "gamers" as a self-identified group is about all you need to know

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was obsidion, but i am mixed. I like 4's gameplay but i liked new Vegas story better. the problem with new vegas is their are only 2 good faction choices, you(after cleansing criminal filth from the wastes) and NCR(after cleasning filth from the wastes and blowing the poo poo out of the legion) 4 i am still having trouble deciding weirdly enough.

New Vegas' story is passable, though still bad by the standards of actual writing or even good TV, 3 and 4 feel like they were written by a panel of TVtropes editors

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All games have mechanics, and an aesthetic theory of game mechanics isn't an unreasonable goal.

I would argue game mechanics do not actually count as an aspect of aesthetics

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I agree, but you see this a decent amount with movies too-- there was a decent amount of criticism of how lightly That's My Boy take rape, and more than a few people commented how odd the statutory explanation scene in Transformers 3(?) was. Mentioning how rather odd the level of violence in GTA or Doom is seems about on the same level to me. The main problem is there's a subset of gamers (roughly equivalent to the Japanese otaku) who are currently being catered to almost to the exclusion of everyone else in the AAA market. There's a fear among these guys that any amount of inspection by decent people might get the more nuts elements of their games reigned in. I don't think they're wrong in that regard (probably more true with the worst of anime games than military shooters) but I also don't see any reason those things have to survive. In fact, I'm utterly fine with them failing if only to spite the people making a violent stink over light being brought to the situation.

AAA games target the same demographic centered on ~30 year old adult men that all other major media like movies, TV, etc, do, especially as you get more and more expensive. Bioshock and the Fallouts are more of a fedora-tipping redditor demographic but they're also cheaper to make than your GTAs, Destinies and Last of Us's

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 31, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Only media which support the message of the Party and promote political consciousness among the masses should be allowed

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've been reflecting on some of the posts here, and I have to wonder: now that we have the possibility of seeing people review a game on Youtube, with all the live gameplay footage that entails, is there really a need for written reviews, as opposed to critiques? I know that if a game comes to me through other than "this is good" word-of-mouth, what gets me to play a game is seeing people actually play through the start of it, and their reflections as they play.

I also know that I rarely read anything by games media, IGN or Kotaku, especially not when I'm making the decision of whether or not to play a game.

Well, that's the whole point of Polygon - sell long-form editorial content to The Millennials (tm) by coating it in slick marketing and aesthetics. I don't think there's going to be an enormous market for that going forwards, but certainly enough of one to support a few major publications. But yeah, your average 14 year old CoD player has moved on to Youtube and Twitch

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have Millennials (pat. pend.) not moved on to Youtube and Twitch, as well, except watching entirely different videos from different reviewers? Or possibly the same ones when those are covering different genres?

I think you'll have a full spectrum from long-form editorial content, maybe even something approaching the prestige of a book review periodical, down to the Youtube critic personalities like the Nostalgia Critic or the British guy with rear end cancer and finally to people playing Minecraft and making wacky faces for an audience of 13 year olds.

Polygon seems pretty successful, I think the great die-off of written game journalism has already happened and we're in a fairly sustainable state, as long as you don't expect to be paid anything for being a critic

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That sounds like you're talking about critique. I'm really talking about reviews, as in a summary that is supposed to answer the question: "do I want to play this", as opposed to critique, which is where I would expect more of "how does this fit within the context of the genre and/or society at large."

I don't feel like uncompensated content creation is sustainable, actually.

I don't think you can really separate the two. Consumer Reports style 'should you buy this Y/N' reviews is a fake category made up by nerds who can't stand to see their toys be criticized. At least if you're of the opinion that games are an artistic medium and not toys

And I think it is sustainable. Big outfits like Polygon can afford to pay (some) people, midlevel people use Patreon, Pewdiepie begs on the street from 12 year old children and does well for himself. If the market says the price of content is nearly free that's what it is

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Much like with teaching, though, if the market says the price is low to an unsustainable level, eventually people will stop doing it. Polygon is one outfit who can afford to pay X amount of people. Since everything's on the internet, you don't need more than one or two such outfits to cover everybody. Where does the money come from? How do people eat? None of the models you're describing is sustainable in a world where potentially everybody in the English-speaking world is competing with Pewdiepie.

There are still teachers, actually, and there will continue to be teachers, despite poo poo pay. People keep darkly insinuating some sort of mass extinction event where the games criticism will up and vanish and I don't buy it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's funny you think Snyder was saying "hell yeah titties" instead of "everyone who says 'Hell yeah titties' is gross".

aka 'the anime defense'

• Locked thread