Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bushiz posted:

Yeah, spec ops turned the "player agency" thing through the fourth wall. You don't have the choice to massacre or not massacre civilians with white phosphorus,you have the choice to massacre the civilians with white phosphorus or stop playing the game. It's an interesting idea, but it's hard to differentiate "making a conscious choice to stop playing the game" and "just stopped playing the game because it really isn't super great"

It's also really dumb to have the message be "Well, you can just stop using this product that you paid money for if you want."

I respect the hell out of Spec Ops: The Line, I loved that game and the way it turned the narrative on the player. I think it's a dumb sentiment to say "Well, you can just stop playing the game." If you stopped playing the game and never found out about the stuff at the end, the message that the game is trying to send wouldn't work. The story works because you finished it, and you're expecting a boss fight or at least some sort of "At least it was all worth it" cutscene and that's when the game hits you hard. Without the ending, the game loses its impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetris doesn't have a narrative or metaphor either--what does anything that happens in Tetris mean?

Oh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Art exists in the act of experiencing it. You'd disagree?

This is pedantic quibbling to make yourself sound enlightened or something like that. Without the actual piece of art, there would be no experiencing of it, so why make this dumb semantic argument?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The solution is just to find a reviewer that you like and just read/watch their reviews. It's not like the marketplace is lacking of reviewers. If you want a more "objective" view of the game, there's literally tons of footage of every game on YouTube which should give you the gist of how the game plays.

I like the Giant Bomb guys, so I read their reviews. They have a nice mix of talking about mechanics and occasionally talking about the background politics of a game if they feel it's worth talking about. That may not be your cup of tea, so feel free to seek out someone who reviews games in a way that you appreciate. I don't see the need to criticize Polygon/Kotaku, just don't read them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

I do believe that there's been some badly written think pieces disguised as a game review, there's definitely been a fair bit of the Gawker-style clickbait that you can find just about anywhere. The articles that have bugged me the most feel like the sort of Gotcha! shitposting that come up from people like rkajdi: no actual attempt to engage with the audience intellectually, it's just someone speaking at you in as condescending a tone as they can manage, telling you that you're just wrong for not 100 percent seeing things the way they do. It's a lot like that whole "we're smarter than people who read GameSpot/IGN" bit you mentioned.

So don't read them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god, CineD is leaking into D&D.

• Locked thread