Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I suspect "snake monsters with boobs" is more about signaling who the game is for than anything else. Even more than genre fiction already is, videogames are about who gets to participate in, perform, and excel at the stories they tell. At its best, this creates meritocratic communities of people who are really good at and knowledgeable about X; at its worst, it creates "if you're not a teenage boy or willing to tacitly submit to the tastes of teenage boys, gently caress you, go away."

I have one thing I want you to consider. Your avatar is of the Darkstalkers character "Sasquatch". Sasquatch is a Bigfoot from Canada. But Sasquatch is eating a banana. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Where would a Bigfoot, an 8-foot-tall Bigfoot, living in Canada, find a banana? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with how we talk about videogames? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with how we talk about videogames! It does not make sense! Look at me. My avatar is of a pig with a human head advertising Grove's Tasteless Chill Tonic! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in here deliberatin' and conjugatin' the ethics of video game journalism, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this dead, gay forum, it does not make sense! If Sasquatch eats a banana, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread