Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It only makes sense to analyze games from a narrative standpoint when the most heavily-promoted and pushed games are linear, finite experiences cribbing from movies and books.
Toaster analogy works well with session-based multiplayer games or primarily replayable games - and, well, critics tend to not bother with narrative analysis of Dota or Crusader Kings. Turning sessions into separate experiences is another matter and it is a very good avenue for any critic that is not afraid to feed personal experience into writing.

Personally I think treating games as appliances is very depressing and self-defeating. The endpoint of 100% utility-oriented approach to food is Soylent; I am sure some games addict dreams of a automated entertainment unit injections that will cut time spent on installing, updating and learning to play games (also finally, an objectively good video game), but it runs counter to the escapist purpose of recreational produts.

bewilderment posted:

Architecture?

I'm not really sure why games aren't talked about in architectural terms as much. Possibly because 'architecture/building critic' doesn't sound as glamourous as being a film critic or a music critic or an art critic.

But something that's 'explored at your own pace' (for most games), that has interactivity, that has elements of both practical construction (a building needs to stay upright) and has elements of aesthetic (people like pretty games and pretty buildings) - that's something that should probably be applied more to games.

I think Destiny was mostly approached from that direction. Not because it has pretty buildings, but because it is a massively expensive, long-term project shaping landscape around itself. Rather than exchanging experiences people mostly wrote about the state of Destiny as a system.
Same can be said about writing on WoW probably, and various pieces about closing or failing MMORPGs remind about the eulogies for demolished buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread