Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
they might not be trying to do it, but any multiplayer game is gonna teach you a thing or two about human nature

usually they are things you would rather not have known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ddraig posted:

Gamers are indeed terrible. They rallied against Ebert with his "video games are not art" spiel, as they totes are art guys this old dude doesn't know what the the gently caress he's saying

Then when it's widely accepted that video games are indeed art, applying the most basic concepts of criticism and discussion to them that is applied to EVERY OTHER ART FORM is suddenly not necessary because They're Just Games

So which is it?

i'm not sure you'd find the same people arguing both sides of that coin. as with film/literature audiences, "gamers" aren't a a unified body speaking through a single figurehead or anything

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

rkajdi posted:

Why? Not every movie is fun, but lots are enjoyable in a different way (think Shindler's List vs. Guardians of the Galaxy) Is it any dumber to try to consider game this way?

I'm also wondering why people react so incredibly towards "walking sim" art-style games, when movies are allowed these types of efforts without so much as a whimper from the average movie-goer. And I'd expect art games, just like art films, to not be the majority of the market despite getting a decent amount of the critical press. What makes games so different in this regard?

plz don't feed trolls

• Locked thread