Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
One guy at work tries to talk about this one game he plays all of the time. He's pretty nerdy, but a not-gross functioning adult nonetheless. Anyway, he goes on about how real the environments are and how they are strictly modeled on xxth century Spain or something. Maybe it was Italy. So he tries to engage the rest of us in this conversation about that place and era and what he's learned from the game (you can tell I paid a whole lot of attention to him) but no one is really into it. I don't know if it's just the topic that is boring or the fact that the information he's sharing comes from a video game somehow disengages us. He'll be talking about some famous bridge that was recreated in the game, and then interject how fun it was to jump off of it and stab someone in the neck from the bridge.

I don't know why this talk is so groan-worthy but it just is. Yeah, he went and did some more independent study on whatever that location is, and he's proud that video games inspired him to learn more. That's nice and all, but can't he just talk about it without mentioning the ridiculous poo poo the video game brings, like jumping on people, stabbing them, and enjoying it?

I think if you are in the industry or interested in the industry, there's much to talk about there. When I was deep into RPGs as a kid, I thought there was a lot of room for video games to grow as far as being considered art or literature. I haven't seen much change to be honest, but that may have something to do with male bias and tits/violence that still prevails. Not exactly intellectually stimulating stuff. I don't even play any games anymore, so what do I know though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread