Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Toxxing for presidents is what I got this account for in the first place, so ground floor on this poo poo.

But yeah for real if Trump wins we won't need forum accounts/eyes to see for much longer, so the risk here is pretty minimal.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Even if people aren't thrilled for Hillary, at least we've got the continuous full-fledged meltdown of the Republican party and its supporters to look forward to when she wins. The last eight years under Obama were amazing if measured in futile right-wing rage and basically directly led to the Trump candidacy, so at least having the Clintons in the White House will continue to deliver on that angle.

In particular the immediate post-election reaction where we see how many Trump supporters were already resigned to losing, how many were doing it 'ironically' and how many are genuinely shocked. Remember that video of Romney's election-day party getting stunned at Obama's win? Trump should top that handily.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The only downside, meltdown-wise, to a Hillary win is that while there are plenty of True Believers elsewhere who'll be shattered, the nature of Trump's candidacy is perfectly suited to pulling the puppetmaster defense and blending back in like nothing happened. I expect a whole bunch of Trump's Something Awful supporters will just reveal they were concern-trolling people who care about politics the whole time and of course Trump was always going to lose. Hell, it's what the man himself will probably claim instead of concede a real defeat, why not follow in his footsteps? Even the Trump Toxx Thread will probably be more along the lines of "Heh, we got 'em good, best ten bux I ever spent" before the hammer comes down rather than gnashing of teeth.

Part of the fun of the Romney election-night video and reaction was knowing that the Republican elites, media allies, financial backers and intellectuals were the ones who'd fooled themselves into believing they were going to win. This time around though these were the people humiliated by Trump, so we've sort of already had our fun, and a lot of them will react with varying degrees of concealed relief when he's out.

This time it's only the rank and file who will suffer, and they'll be told it was their punishment for throwing off the yoke of their betters - outside of latching on to an insurgent anomaly like Trump the Republican base don't really have the power to take control of their party, and the dormant establishment will likely just go back to exploiting them.Trump will just go back to being extremely rich and internet trolls ride eternal, but there's a lot of desperate Americans piling a lot of hope onto Trump and it's kind of sad their hopes are so misplaced.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Any tentative progress on the GOP's outreach to nonwhite voters went down in flames this year with Trump's nomination. If there's one nice thing about having the two Toxx threads separating people out a little it's the chance to acknowledge that no, Trump is not going to win big with Hispanics by eating a taco bowl. And just in case people start to forget, the regular revelation of Trump supporters and delegates as proud white nationalists is a good reminder.

But acknowledging that is probably the dreaded "Identity Politics" that Trump supporters hate so much.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Biden should be able to contribute a fair bit as well, not the least of which because in an election where Donald Trump's twitter is blowing up on CNN every day his patented "Biden Gaffes" will seem quaint by comparison. His sense of humor is well-suited to mocking Trump too, which provides something the Clinton camp could use more of.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Northjayhawk posted:

I am really going to enjoy election night this year. Its going to be epic. The tears... my God, think of the glorious tears.

Honestly, I'm still pretty sure we've already had the best of it with Trump's nomination (although the convention will also be amazing). The Trump supporters on SA all come off as insincere trolls pushing him for the fun of watching his opposition squirm, none of whom will be particularly surprised or bothered when he loses. The same more or less goes for his alt-right internet followers on /pol/ and elsewhere, they're just in it to enjoy the ride and air their memes on a national stage. Trump's more normal, mainstream supporters might be upset but they don't have much in the way of a voice (hence latching on to Trump so hard) so we'll probably mostly be seeing the barely-disguised relief of the Republican establishment, media and intellectuals.

People talk about dehumanizing and facing to Trump, but Hillary's the one people actually seem resigned to - that the most probable outcome is still just another 4-8 years of incremental progress and political gridlock, status quo mostly maintained. The person who probably most strongly believes he can win and who will have the most over-the-top meltdown will probably be Trump himself, although after he lost Iowa he was pretty reserved so maybe even that won't be all that fun.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gyges posted:

My only fear is that Donald melts down before the RNC and they manage to get rid of him. Please wait until after Cleveland's golden coronation to melt down like Chernobyl, Short Fingered Vulgarian.

Hopefully the meltdown will begin during Cleveland, with an ostentatious shitshow where scheduled speakers go off-script and turn on Trump mid-speech, a floor fight over the platform, brawls between protestors and counter-protestors of multiple factions outside and Trump so hopped up on ego during his big speech that he sets a new record for insane poo poo coming out of his mouth. Garnish with half the officeholding Republicans and other major figures going into hiding for the whole week so they don't have to comment on it.

But people tend not to talk about the Democratic convention, and that should be good too if just for a change of pace from the All-Trump-All-The-Time show we've got right now. It might be refreshing to actually hear what the Democrats have in store for their next four years of controlling the White House and see where the platform ends up after all this push and pull between Hillary and Bernie. If they can really heal the rift between the establishment and the progressive wing then the convention will be the place to show it off, hopefully in a way that reincorporates the Sanders contingent and also commits Clinton to major positive planks people will want to vote for instead of only voting against Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I am glad that Bernie endorsed Hillary and that the Democrats will come together. As much as incremental progress is basically a constant feeling of low-grade disappointment that rarely hits at the big, structural needs at least it's something, and the progressive sentiments stirred up by Bernie have a better chance of affecting change within the Democratic party than they do out of it (and especially if the Republicans win).

The disaster of Trumpism and the fractious chaos of the Republican party is probably a better example of what happens when zealous ideologues pull a party apart, and hopefully their coming defeat will be a general setback for their cause actually achieving their goals even if the hardcore just get even more riled up and thrash around even harder.

• Locked thread