Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

e: Live-posting starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3776228&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post461416321

Pick Order

1. Toronto Maple Leafs — Auston 20:16
2. Winnipeg Jets — Patrik Laine
3. Columbus Blue Jackets — Pierre-Luc Dubois
4. Edmonton Oilers — Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Vancouver Canucks — Olli Juolevi
6. Calgary Flames — Matthew Tkachuk
7. Arizona Coyotes — Clayton Keller
8. Buffalo Sabres — Alex Nylander
9. Montreal Canadiens — Mikhail Sergachyev
10. Colorado Avalanche — Tyson Jost
11. Ottawa Senators (from New Jersey Devils - pick swap) — Logan Brown
12. New Jersey Devils (from Ottawa Senators - pick swap) — Michael McCleod
13. Carolina Hurricanes — Jake Bean
14. Boston Bruins — Charlie McAvoy
15. Minnesota Wild — Luke Kunin
16. Arizona Coyotes (from Detroit Red Wings - Datsyuk trade) — Jakub Chychrun
17. Nashville Predators — Dante Fabbro
18. Winnipeg Jets (from Philadelphia Flyers - pick swap) — Logan Stanley
19. New York Islanders — Kieffer Bellows
20. Detroit Red Wings ( from NY Rangers - Yandle trade, via Arizona Coyotes - Datsyuk trade) — Dennis Cholowski
21. Carolina Hurricanes (from LA Kings - Sekera trade) — Julien Gauthier
22. Philadelphia Flyers (from Chicago Blackhawks - Ladd trade via Winnipeg Jets - pick swap) — German Rubtsov
23. Florida Panthers — Henrik Borgstrom
24. Anaheim Ducks — Max Jones
25. Dallas Stars — Riley Tufte
26. St Louis Blues (from Washington Capitals - pick swap) — Tage Thompson
27. Tampa Bay Lightning — Brett Howden
28. Washington Capitals (from St. Louis Blues - pick swap) — Lucas Johansson
29. Boston Bruins (from San Jose Sharks - Jones trade) — Trent Frederic
30. Anaheim Ducks (from Pittsburgh Penguins - Kessel trade, via Toronto Maples Leafs - Andersen trade) — Sam STEEL

TRADES D1
Montreal gets: Andrew Shaw, WSH 2017 2nd, WSH 2018 2nd
Washington gets: Lars Eller
Chicago gets: #39, #45

Calgary gets:Brian Elliott
St Louis gets: #35; Conditional 2018 3rd

New Jersey gets: #12, #80
Ottawa gets: #11

Detroit gets: #20, #53, Joe Vitale
Arizona gets: #16, Pavel Datsyuk

Philadelphia gets: #22, #36
Winnipeg gets: #18, #79

St Louis gets: #26
Washington gets: #28, 87

TRADES D2
That I care to mention

Buffalo gets: Dmitri Kulikov, #33
Florida gets: Mark Pysyk, #38, #89

New Jersey gets: Beau Bennett
Pittsburgh gets: #77

LA gets: Jack Campbell
Dallas gets: Nick Ebert

It's that time of year where we all pull up our badly stuffed computer chairs, flick on our monitors or phones and use our limited knowledge to berate each others about the NHL readiness of awkward teenagers! Yes, that's right it's almost time for the 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT taking place June 24-25, 2016 in Buffalo, NY!

So what's happening this year?

Well, as you may or may not have heard the 1st overall pick belongs to the self-described Centre of the Hockey Universe Toronto Maple Leafs having won the first of the three anti-Oilers pick lotteries held last month. Somehow, no one is really all that upset with this because the Leafs have been the NHL's punchline for the last decade and people are almost happy to see something go right for them now that they seem to be competently run. This feeling will fade once the TSN YOUNG BUDS specials start airing on a biweekly basis. The Jets and Blue Jackets will pick 2nd and 3rd respectively after winning the other two draft lotteries. No one has any strong feelings about either of these franchises, so sure why not?

Who are the top prospects this year and why have I never seen them play outside the WJC?

The first three picks this year are as close to locks as you can possibly get. They are Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi and they'll be selected in that order and there's no real question about that. All three of them play in Europe, so despite what people may tell you no one has actually seen them play live outside of international tournaments.

Auston Matthews - C - 6'2" - 195lbs - Shoots Left

Effective, efficient and completely boring. Switzerland was a good choice.

A half-Mexican, California born, Arizona raised childhood Coyotes fan currently plying his trade in Zurich, Switzerland. Needless to say, he's breaking a great deal of new ground for the NHL here. Continually labelled as an example of the success of southern NHL expansion, he's going to Toronto so loses all of his worthwhile marketability.

He's a classic two-way centre. Good at everything, bad at nothing he's entirely unflashy but the type of player cup winners are built around. He set a bunch of scoring records with the USNTDP before eschewing both college and junior to sign a contract with Zurich in where he was the best player in the league. He's drat good and everything you want in a franchise centre, but whatever he does for the next decade is going to be analyzed in intense detail because of the market he's going to so fingers crossed he's allergic to hot dogs. He's also Toews level uninteresting.

I'll leave you with the words of the drunk guy I overhead in the Thai restaurant to sum up how Matthews' time in Toronto will go: 'Ya hear about tha fuckin' Leafs getta that first overall pick eh? Like when we got Wendel Fuckin' Clark man, that guy could totally beat the poo poo outta like Surley and Memmeeso and them guys. That was hockey. Fuckin' Leafs man.

Patrik Laine - LW/RW - 6'4" - 210lbs - Shoot Right

After glancing at a January weather report for Winnipeg, Patrik sets to work on a new career

A bit of an after thought at the beginning of the year, he's established himself as a can't miss player and the most promising European prospect since Alex Ovechkin (who incidentally he is basically a carbon copy of stylistically). Big, strong and with a booming shot, he's a flashy attacking winger who's worth the price of admission alone. As punishment for not being a robot, he gets to spend his youth in Canada's Detroit. He won the Finnish league playoff MVP despite just turning 18 a month ago, can currently be found breaking Jagr's u-18 points record at the WHC, and doing rad poo poo.

Jesse Puljujärvi - RW - 6'3" - 200lbs - Shoots Right

No, no! Not me, friends. He's talking about himself. But thanks for looking!

Pullujj Pulluj Jesse's sorta the opposite of Laine in that he's a 'complete' two way winger. He's a great playmaker, a crafty thinker and has the size and strength to beeline for the net when needed. Defensively he's more than competent, and you'll probably hear analysts call him a "coach's dream" about 30 times leading up the draft. However, he doesn't quite have the top level offensive prowess of Laine and could probably stand to be more assertive and muscle defenders more. Then again, he has that can do attitude and infectious enthusiasm that makes you want to ruffle his hair, punch him in the arm and say "go get 'em tiger!" Who can resist that winning smile?

The Other Guys

Consensus rankings per The Leafs Nation.

Let's all continue to have a hearty chuckle at McKeen's having Michael McLeod at #3

TV Options

The first round will air on Sportsnet (don't watch this channel) and NBC Sport Network (the one with the good analysts) on Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. EST. Things will actually start happening a good 20 minutes later though, be prepared for a 3-4 hour night if you wanna watch all 30 picks. The second round to seventh rounds will be live streamed on NHL.com on Saturday, June 25, 2016.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good thread. Assume Matthews is the #1 but I'd love to listen to the Toronto guys going over the pick. It should have been a slam dunk, but Laine is really making the case that it's not.

Also, I asked this elsewhere but if anyone knows where I can grab old draft predictions from scouting services or magazines, I'd be appreciative. I'm looking for the top 30s for 2005-2009. Have TSN and CSS.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Also, I asked this elsewhere but if anyone knows where I can grab old draft predictions from scouting services or magazines, I'd be appreciative. I'm looking for the top 30s for 2005-2009. Have TSN and CSS.

If don't mind paying a few bucks a pop, THN sells digital copies of their draft primer dating back about a decade.

https://secure.thehockeynews.com/online-store/?cat=S&utm_source=index_page&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=special_issues

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pronman's top-100 prospect writeups is apparently available on the ABC site without the need for the ESPN insider paywall.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
My body is ready.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
my preference for a thread title was "two finns and a baby"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Poonerman posted:

my preference for a thread title was "two finns and a baby"

I think the thread title has an unnecessary "now" in it. Sky blue, water wet, Toronto Sports Network.

As an Oiler fan this is the first year in forever where I have no idea who we'll draft. I'm honestly hoping for a chaotic trade with pick #4 to spice things up.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I kind of hope the Flyers draft Alex DeBrincat. Even if he falls to 18 I don't think it's happening, though.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Tkachuk or Dubois should be cool on the Canucks.

Which means welcome to Vancouver, Jakob Chychrun

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My gut tells me that Nashville will go for a defenseman in the first, because that's totally Poile's jam and they haven't in a while, plus the pipeline is a little dry in that respect at the moment.

E: so...Fabbro if he's still around at 17?

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 16, 2016

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i love the draft and i wish that my favorite team were ever going to pick in the first round again so i could have more personal investment in it

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Yaya posted:

Tkachuk or Dubois should be cool on the Canucks.

Which means welcome to Vancouver, Jakob Chychrun

That's a funny way to spell Logan Brown.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

nature6pk posted:

That's a funny way to spell Logan Brown.

SKILLS: BIG

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I'd like the Coyotes to take Tkachuk or Nylander at 7. That being said, they are probably taking the 2nd defenceman of the draft, after Edmonton hopefully makes a smart pick. I just don't think that going for the #2 dman in a draft with a significant talent gap between F and D is a good idea. But then again, Arizona does have a ton of quality forward prospects and jack poo poo for D prospects so...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think Tkachuk makes it to 7, but I suppose it's possible. Nylander would be a nice pickup though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Are there any high risk, high reward Russians that GMs will be scared enough of to drop to the Capitals at 26th?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Are there any high risk, high reward Russians that GMs will be scared enough of to drop to the Capitals at 26th?

Sounds like Vitaly Abramov to me! A tiny, dangly Russian winger playing in Gatineau. He's quick, shifty and kind of a rat. Like a lot of high scoring juniors, defence is largely a mystery to him but with the right coaching he could be a Maxim Afinogenov type. Not quite as magical hands and feet, but that sorta player.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 17, 2016

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Yaya posted:

SKILLS: BIG

can't teach size

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gunjin posted:

German Rubtsov could fall since he was on the Russian U-18 team that got booted for collective steroid use, though I don't know if he himself pissed hot.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Logan Brown's good. Not top 5 good, but he actually scores a lot.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Matthews is gonna get run out of Toronto provided that he doesn't refuse to report in first.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Logan Brown's good. Not top 5 good, but he actually scores a lot.

Shutup, Jimbo might hear you

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Seems like a poor draft for top-end Canadian talent. Have to go back to the really loving bad 1999 Draft to find a time where a Canadian didn't go in the Top 3.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the consensus on Logan Brown, at least among smart people, is he'd be a nice pick up in the early-mid round (so like 13-16ish) but he's probably not a top 10 caliber pick?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I thought the consensus on Logan Brown, at least among smart people, is he'd be a nice pick up in the early-mid round (so like 13-16ish) but he's probably not a top 10 caliber pick?

can't teach 6'6"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I know. I'm praying someone drafts him before Sweeney gets a chance to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If you think someone has a real NHL career ahead of them, they're probably fine after the first 5. The drop off after 5 is pretty precipitous.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

yellowcar posted:

Matthews is gonna get run out of Toronto provided that he doesn't refuse to report in first.

And why would he do that? It's not like he'd be playing in Quebec or anything...

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I know. I'm praying someone drafts him before Sweeney gets a chance to.

Jim will save Sweeney from himself

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

If you think someone has a real NHL career ahead of them, they're probably fine after the first 5. The drop off after 5 is pretty precipitous.

If you're going by 'I'll confidently bet that this guy will be a good NHLer' I'd say the drop off is actually at 3.

I've heard people saying constantly that Laine plays like Ovechkin but I just don't see it. Every time I watch him his game just screams Kovalchuk

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

A Typical Goon posted:

If you're going by 'I'll confidently bet that this guy will be a good NHLer' I'd say the drop off is actually at 3.

I've heard people saying constantly that Laine plays like Ovechkin but I just don't see it. Every time I watch him his game just screams Kovalchuk

Potato, PotAHto. If I told you with pick 2 you could only draft the worse of the two (pre-NHL career, not current) you'd be making GBS threads your pants with joy and rightfully so.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

darkwolf220 posted:

Potato, PotAHto. If I told you with pick 2 you could only draft the worse of the two (pre-NHL career, not current) you'd be making GBS threads your pants with joy and rightfully so.

only six months until we get patrik laine floater segments on coach's corner

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
would anyone like to part with their first round pick in a package involving, say, rick nash or chris kreider. hmu

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
All I want to say is, hail Satan.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

dyn posted:

And why would he do that? It's not like he'd be playing in Quebec or anything...

Worse! He'd be playing for the Leafs!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mentholmoose posted:

I kind of hope the Flyers draft Alex DeBrincat. Even if he falls to 18 I don't think it's happening, though.

I like this idea

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

I have faith he'll find his way to Arizona where he can be the desert messiah.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

McDavid signed with the Oilers, if that can happen, anything can.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Rielly is going to be such a good core to build around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Arabian Jesus posted:

Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Rielly is going to be such a good core to build around.

Can you imagine a first line of Laine/Nylander/Marner. It'd be loving insane.

• Locked thread