Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

sethimothy posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to capture your PS3 gameplay? If you do mind, disregard.

I've got an HDPVR. Sadly it's hooked up to a failing computer that loves to crash mid-recording now. I miiiight just be able to get that computer replaced this holiday season (I technically have the replacement computer already but haven't taken the time to get everything sorted out wrt the switchover because it's going to require me to rebuild my workflow).

And perhaps over the holidays I'll try to set something up for an exciting discussion topic in poo poo gaming. That and play some more Disgaea D2, the postgame maps are pretty cool so I do want to show them off it's just a matter of getting the engine of UNHOLY STRENGTH started and that's not entirely trivial.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a shame Disgaea became known as "the game where you can grind for a million hours and make the numbers go as high as you want". Now it's really shackled to that idea, when there are much more interesting ways of making people want to do nothing but play your game forever.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 16, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Been super busy with a bunch of holiday stuff, just wanted to check in and say this will at some point resume.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hope to have an update next week, I've just not had a lot of time with the holidays and we're going to be traveling for a couple days coming up too. Sorry for the service interruption, honestly I also just needed a bit of a break.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Totally understand. I'm sure it'll be a while after this when you tackle 5. God knows you need a rest after this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In related topics, my plan from the end of the last LP to buy the Genometric Concert CDs fell into a dimensional vortex and only reappeared now, almost a year later.

Amazon's basic international shipping is slow as balls, so I'm having a bet with myself on whether they'll get here before the Persona 5 OST, which doesn't come out for another three weeks and itself has to be shipped from Hong Kong. Frankly, I think it's anyone's game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

In related topics, my plan from the end of the last LP to buy the Genometric Concert CDs fell into a dimensional vortex and only reappeared now, almost a year later.

Amazon's basic international shipping is slow as balls, so I'm having a bet with myself on whether they'll get here before the Persona 5 OST, which doesn't come out for another three weeks and itself has to be shipped from Hong Kong. Frankly, I think it's anyone's game.

Still having CD versions of those is always nice.

The nice thing is that once I'm actually set up for the postgame I can knock it all off super fast, the setup is just the daunting part.

It does not help that my health is shaky as hell the past couple weeks, just so tired.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm definitely more interested in having a physical copy of a pair of cool concept albums than a physical copy of their dodgy tie-in game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feinne posted:

Still having CD versions of those is always nice.

The nice thing is that once I'm actually set up for the postgame I can knock it all off super fast, the setup is just the daunting part.

It does not help that my health is shaky as hell the past couple weeks, just so tired.
That just means you need to hibernate for a month.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

That just means you need to hibernate for a month.

I sure as hell did hibernate a full day this weekend. Anyway I'm giving a go at recording the next postgame map assuming I can get my goddamn computer to cooperate.

EDIT: I have recorded the two maps of the next postgame section and the final DLC map, which concludes the story that starts. Should be like Wednesday or so, and with the postgame character I got I can start making some poo poo go cray since getting to the Cave of Ordeals map with the +EXP starts being a thing now.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 2, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fifty-Three: The Saga of Eye Beams

It’s been a while, but we’re finally back into the postgame. To get to the next part, we have to pass a bill to meet a girl who shoots eyebeams.

Video- Mysterious Girl

Watch

And that sure looks like such a girl.

She shoots strange beams from her eyes, right? Is she good or evil? I’m really curious!
You’ve gotta be pretty crazy to be called suspicious in the Netherworld. I wonder what she’s like…
I wonder if she’s anything like that girl over there who’s staring us down…
Oh…!
Wait! You there! Suspicious little girl! Are you the girl who shoots beams out of her eyes!?
I’m sorry, I’m busy right now. Please don’t mind me.
Hey, you were just staring us down! Were you aiming your eye beams at us?
Maybe she’s out to get us! Maybe she wants to defeat you to become the Overlord!
Then I will defeat her instead!
Overlord…!? So you’re the Overlord here… I see…
Petta Beam!

EYEBEAMS.

I’m gonna get going now.
Wow! She shot beams from her eyes! That’s so cool!
Now’s not the time to be impressed! Chase that suspicious girl!

This map could be annoying if things go wrong.

There’s a bunch of enemies up high that you can only reach with very high rank magic or by using a Warp panel. Make sure you don’t accidentally destroy the Warp effect, that’d make things really awkward. The enemies are all pretty fragile, try to get alpha strikes on them.

Now for the follow-up map where we actually get Petta.

Video- Red Overlord Search

Watch

We’re also going to learn a bit about Petta, if you aren’t aware of who she is.

Fine…I’ll talk. My name is Petta.
I came here looking for an Overlord that resembles this book.

Petta then pulls out a replica Lord Zetta Sacred Tome.

Well, I guess I’ll go look for him in another Netherworld…
Oh, well actually… I think I see some resemblance… Like you you’re both red.
Red!?
Now that you mention it, they are red! And the top of the cover kind of looks like his antennae!
I don’t think they’re both alike, but I have to admit they’re both red and the book looks like it has a short temper, too.
Shut up!
Sorry, but it’s not him. The Overlord I’m looking for isn’t a child.
drat you. Now you’re treating me like a kid…? You’ve got some nerve…!
I didn’t mean to. It’s all just a misunderstanding. The Overlord I’m looking for is the most badass freakin’ Overlord—
I am the most badass freakin’ Overlord! Which makes me the Overlord you’re looking for! Which means I won’t just let you go!
I don’t know what’s going on, but I guess I have no choice. I don’t have any business with you, but I will put up a fight!

Petta’s certainly the toughest enemy we’ve faced so far.

She gets Star magic and has a cool support Evility that raises the range of all adjacent allies by 2.

So the trick of this map is that the red tiles are Invincible, but also start with unfavorable effects for us. We can throw those symbols off on the first turn, though, and just let Red be Invincible. We can clear out everything but Petta by taking advantage of the Invincibility. We then need to use Yellow panels to jump up to her. She hits really hard, but she’s also pretty fragile herself, so this isn’t actually that bad.

Now that that’s straight, make that book look more like me!
Like I said before, it’s all just a misunderstanding. I’m looking for Overlord Zetta.
Overlord Zetta…! The strongest Overlord in all the cosmos? That one…?
Well if he has a different name, he must be a different person. Our mistake!
But why are you looking for—oh, are you trying to take his place!?
No. I’m his daughter.
So you were looking for you old man…
I’m an Overlord’s daughter, too, so I think I know how you feel!
Oh, really…? Wait, an angel is the daughter of an Overlord?
We must’ve met for a reason! We’ll help you find Zetta!
What? Oh no, that’s fine…
Then I shall make you my vassal!
Wait, what? Why!?
I’ve been thinking that I need to set things straight with Overlord Zetta. I’m sure he feels the same way.
Are you sure about that?
If you become my vassal, you won’t have to look for him, since we’ll eventually just meet him anyway!

This is plan makes sense but does have a bit of a flaw if you don’t have the DLC.

I don’t think that’s quite right…!
System Message: Petta was forced to join your party!
What…!? I have no business being in this Netherworld… How did this…?
Let’s do our best to find your father, Petta!
I kinda get the feeling she’s never gonna see him.
I feel the same way…

Now it’s time to encounter the last of the DLC characters, who I’ve been saving because there’s an interaction here.

Video- Most Badass Overlord

Watch

What’s wrong, Big Brother?
This evil power in the air… It must be the person who wants to be the Overlord. I can tell that this isn’t just any demon.
It’s getting closer, Prince.

And of course look who it is.

Not to mention he looks kinda scary… Are you going to be okay, Big Brother?
We don’t have time to worry. Here he comes!
Urrraaaggghhh!!! Where are you, my daughter!?
She must be lost on the edges of this Netherworld, starving and crying in the fetal position…!
Just hang on. I’ll find you, and then I’ll get the best food this Netherworld has to offer to sate your hunger!
Huh…? Something seems wrong…
Looks like he’s just looking for his daughter… Could he really be after the Overlord’s throne?
Absolutely. It’s only natural for a white-eyed, evil-looking guy like him to wanna be the Overlord.
Etna’s right.
That sounds more like a really insensitive stereotype.

Awkward after Sicily says that.

…Oh, they were right.
Screw you! This Netherworld belongs to me, Overlord Laharl!
What!? Overlord…Laharl?
You know who I am!?
Looks like word of my evil reign over this Netherworld has spread to other worlds!
Nope, never heard of you.
What!? Then why did you react like that!?
I don’t have time to play with children. All you need to do is shut up and listen to me.
Dammit, I’ll make you pay for disrespecting the Overlord!
Go!

This is a fight against Zetta alone, which makes it as easy as all the other fights against lone DLC characters.

His Evility increases his attack power by 20%, plus an extra 1% for every 200 levels he’s ever had. Because of it, he has the potential to have the highest attack power in the game. Just that simple.

I see… You fought well for facing Overlord Zetta.
Seems like you weren’t lying about being the Overlord.
Overlord Zetta?
Huh? That means…

I think if we’d done this in the other order Zetta would have come out during the scene where we recruit Petta? I’m not sure honestly, never done it in that order.

Petta!?
Father…did you come looking for me?
N-No, of course not! I just came to this Netherworld to use the restroom. I just happened to find you.
…He’s such a bad liar. He definitely was worried about her…
Is that true, Father?
Don’t be ridiculous! I’m not one of those parents who are overly attached to their daughters!
Uhhh, that’s not what it looks like from here.
Why are you denying it so strongly? I think it’s wonderful that you love your daughter so much.
Demons are really strange sometimes.
Dammit… Just forget what you saw earlier, okay? It would be problematic for me, as an Overlord, if word of this got out.
Why should we agree to that? If you want us to do something, you should give us something in return.
drat you…

I sure did! I’m one click away from sending it out across the Netherworld.
Wh-What!? How could you be so cruel!?
So, what’s it gonna be? I could just show the video to this girl right here!
Okay, stop, I get it! What do you want?
Father!? Why are you letting these demons control you?! This would probably be even more problematic for you if you got out…
Don’t say that, Petta. There are some things that I just need to accept…
I don’t understand why you would need to accept something like this…
All right! You are now my vassal! You’ll get to work for me alongside your daughter! You should be grateful!
Urgh…! I have no choice.
System Message: Zetta has joined your party!
(Uh, Etna, when did you even get the chance to record him?)
(I didn’t. I was lying.)
(Wh-What!? You lied to him!?)
(Hey Flonne, just remember, “Fool me at all, shame on me.” You got that?)
(…I guess I’ll try to be as nice as I can to those two to make up for it.)

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Ordeal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How do you miss with eye beams? You just have to be looking at the thing!

Well, I suppose you don't really have a lot of precision or a sense of focal length.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was Zetta possessing a book in Makai Kingdom, because I thought he was the book?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yea, he basically got stuck as a book for most of the game.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Have not heard that theme that plays during the meetup with Petta in a while, real nostalgia there.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Was Zetta possessing a book in Makai Kingdom, because I thought he was the book?

Zetta is a person, but in the entirety of majority of Makai Kingdom he became trapped in the very book he sought out to destroy. Oddly, despite making things right, in some DLC for other games he appears as a book.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Well only some endings of Makai Kingdom actually feature him escaping his literary fate, so I guess you could assume in those games poor Zetta got a Bad End.

Above and beyond every other way in which we know this game is taking the Good End is that Pram's actually armed with the proper Sacred Tome, and Petta's book is clearly listed as a Replica.

So the next postgame step is to unlock and mess around with the Cave of Ordeals probably, which is also where I start being able to take poo poo to the infinite extreme. Petta and Pram are going to be big helps on that front, since as long as we've got baller casters we can double-up and also level a monster to 9999 while we're leveling the caster thanks to Mounting. Once things are really rolling it's possible to do poo poo like add 9999 stored levels to Metallia every five minutes or so until she becomes a bloated mass of unspeakable death.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
It's been a long while since I played Makai Kingdom but I don't remember Petta at all. Was she from DLC or did they make a sequel or something?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

mastersord posted:

It's been a long while since I played Makai Kingdom but I don't remember Petta at all. Was she from DLC or did they make a sequel or something?
She's from the PSP port that didn't come out in English.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Typical Amazon. You talk poo poo about them online and they make you look like an idiot when your stuff shows up a week earlier than they estimated.

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm definitely more interested in having a physical copy of a pair of cool concept albums than a physical copy of their dodgy tie-in game.
I said this as a goof, but actually I've completely forgotten everything about where these songs showed up in the game by now, and if anything hearing them out of context actively makes them better.

There's a distinct risk that someone listening to these CDs on their own might mistakenly assume that Ar Nosurge must be a good video game, which would be a terrible mistake.

e: The liner notes are such a cool artifact. The lyrics are given in their respective fictional scripts, with a transliteration into the Latin alphabet and a translation into Japanese. The passages in Russian (or maybe yet another constructed language written in Cyrillic, for all I know) are preserved, and also given a Japanese translation.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 11, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Akiko Shikata is really good at that in general, she sings in a lot of strange languages on her own albums and the liner notes always display it in a way that makes it plain what the actual words are supposed to be.

If you are inclined to buy music in a physical form at all anything of hers is straight amazing and worth importing.

I've been very busy with poo poo the past couple of days and some more actual work might be coming up, but I have not forgotten this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If "actual work" is code for "playing the new Criminal Girls port" I don't think we can be friends anymore.

If only NISA were as brazen as Idea Factory International. Then their stuff would get banned in Australia too and I wouldn't have to put up with Steam recommending it to me from now until the end of eternity.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 12, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

If "actual work" is code for "playing the new Criminal Girls port" I don't think we can be friends anymore.

If only NISA were as brazen as Idea Factory International. Then their stuff would get banned in Australia too and I wouldn't have to put up with Steam recommending it to me from now until the end of eternity.

Actual work is actual work that pays me money.

Criminal Girls is a game I am pained that I cannot recommend to anyone ever for extremely good reasons because the actual combat part of it is pretty cool and good but WHOOPS IT IS SKEEVY AS gently caress.

I'm still working on the next update, I'm taking an admittedly leisurely pace to recharge my terrible energies in case I decide that rather than Disgaea 5 some dire work must be done next.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Actual work is actual work that pays me money.

Criminal Girls is a game I am pained that I cannot recommend to anyone ever for extremely good reasons because the actual combat part of it is pretty cool and good but WHOOPS IT IS SKEEVY AS gently caress.
okay, we're cool then

I'm dreading the day I start working on my tactics game in earnest, because I might have to play Criminal Girls for research. The things we do for our art.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Even the people that like Criminal Girls all seem to like it for the skeeviness. Every review I've seen said that the gameplay was mediocore.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Wiffle posted:

Even the people that like Criminal Girls all seem to like it for the skeeviness. Every review I've seen said that the gameplay was mediocore.
I've heard at least one report that it's, and I quote, "pretty cool and good".

My real worry would be that it might take too long to show me anything I could learn from. Time is a much more valuable resource than my dignity.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, here are some further hot Genometric Concert takes for anyone from the last LP who's still around and happens to be interested:

I've been listening to it on shuffle to the complete exclusion of all other music, and I can attest that it's just as great the 20th time around. Hidra Heteromycin emerged as my favourite song on there pretty early on, but I'm not sure I can say it's the best. As much as I love it, a fairly conventional metal song seems out of place among some of the coolest, weirdest, most avant-garde poo poo I've heard in ages.

Class::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE; in particular is downright haunting. It expresses the theme of "fighting an alien consciousness for control of your mind" brilliantly, and it barely even alludes to it in the lyrics. Its music alone does a better job of telling Ar Nosurge's story in six a half minutes than the whole game does in God knows how many hours.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 21, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Honestly I'm not playing the plus version of Atelier Shallie instead of Disgaea D2 who would do that am I right?

I'm going to try and find some time soon to really knock at this, there's still some cool postgame fights that I'd love to show off.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Were you ever mad enough to play Omega Quintet, Feinne? I've only ever heard the legends, and still I sometimes find myself waking in a cold sweat in the dead of night, trembling in fear at the thought of its return.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Hey Feinne, sorry if posting this in this thread isn't the best way to ask this, but it's not like you have any other contact information and I don't want to be super creepy about it:

Disgaea 2 PC is expected to land at the end of the month. How upset would you be if someone else attempted AN LP of it? I ask because almost 7 years ago you started the LP of the original, for the PS2, and you did a pretty good job of it! Of course, this new version brings all the content and gameplay changes that the PSP port brought, such as Magichange and additional classes, and I think it would be neat to do in an episodic fashion. I know that there isn't like a "one LP per game" rule and in theory I could just say "Forget their feelings, I can do what I want" but you're notable for really having this franchise on lock. Would you mind terribly if I gave it a shot?

If I shouldn't have posted this request on this thread, feel free to have me probated.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you want to do an LP. :justpost:
I would expect a more thorough LP since there were no Land of Carnage from the last one and the videos might all be dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sethimothy posted:

Hey Feinne, sorry if posting this in this thread isn't the best way to ask this, but it's not like you have any other contact information and I don't want to be super creepy about it:

Disgaea 2 PC is expected to land at the end of the month. How upset would you be if someone else attempted AN LP of it? I ask because almost 7 years ago you started the LP of the original, for the PS2, and you did a pretty good job of it! Of course, this new version brings all the content and gameplay changes that the PSP port brought, such as Magichange and additional classes, and I think it would be neat to do in an episodic fashion. I know that there isn't like a "one LP per game" rule and in theory I could just say "Forget their feelings, I can do what I want" but you're notable for really having this franchise on lock. Would you mind terribly if I gave it a shot?

If I shouldn't have posted this request on this thread, feel free to have me probated.

Back when the forum was younger people tried to find new games to show off, but the main time folks got *really* snippy was when there were multiple LPs of the same game at the same time, particularly if they were stepping on each other's toes in how stuff was presented.

For a 7 year-old LP though? :justpost:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

sethimothy posted:

Go for it, I don't mind.

I might wander in and make long rambling effortposts about any differences between the PC port and the original game of course but that's because in the intervening years I have become a weird old person.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm not even going to lie, I started Tales of Berseria on a whim and since that game owns I still haven't made any progress.

In actual news, there's a special premium edition of the Disgaea soundtrack that's getting ready to ship (though I'm not sure how one can even get it at this point if you hadn't already ordered it quite some time ago).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have never played a Tales before. Should I play this Tales?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FractalSandwich posted:

He said, asking an opinion on the game of the man who played all three main Hyperdimension Neptunia games, as well as Ar Nosurge.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
well yeah, if you ask someone who's only played good games, their ideas will be way off!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feinne posted:

I'm not even going to lie, I started Tales of Berseria on a whim and since that game owns I still haven't made any progress.

In actual news, there's a special premium edition of the Disgaea soundtrack that's getting ready to ship (though I'm not sure how one can even get it at this point if you hadn't already ordered it quite some time ago).
One that has all the tracks? That sounds familiar.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He said, asking an opinion on the game of the man who played all three main Hyperdimension Neptunia games, as well as Ar Nosurge.

Isn't that a tad too harsh towards Ar Nosurge? It was bad but not even close to Neptunia bad.

PSA: although, for those that are unaware, avoid the 3rd Ar Tonelico (Ar Tonelico Qoga) like the bubonic plague and pmeumonia combined. Just saying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

Isn't that a tad too harsh towards Ar Nosurge?

Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Did it anyway. So far I'm enjoying the adventures of the world's biggest edgelord.

When I first played Disgaea 5, I said I'd like the story a lot more if Killia were a woman. Little did I know, someone was kindly making that game for me even as I spoke.

• Locked thread