Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

These are some pretty quality mechanics. But, uh, given their explosion potential, is riding a Prinny really a good idea?

This reminds me of the time I magichanged a Prinny and then threw the unit because I needed a reposition. Whoops

Is there going to be a(nother) Prinny map like in one and two? Those are always a fun diversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

logger posted:

Couldn't you just chuck both red and green on the blue tiles and then hit the green one without even having to move the clear one from green?

Oh yeah, that'd also work. Blue -> green hits red, blue (+green) -> red hits clear, blue (+green+red) -> clear.

Glazius posted:

These are some pretty quality mechanics. But, uh, given their explosion potential, is riding a Prinny really a good idea?

As long as nobody throws the Prinny, you should be fine, dood.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember that prinny said he would reincarnate after this battle, but I don't remember if it actually did. Is that a mechanic we haven't seen yet or just flavor text?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Lotish posted:

I remember that prinny said he would reincarnate after this battle, but I don't remember if it actually did. Is that a mechanic we haven't seen yet or just flavor text?

It is just flavor but honestly Prinnies are interchangeable so maybe he did and we just got another identical Prinny as a replacement.

Omobono posted:

I dunno, if the worst thing you can say about this game is that D5 is better then it's drat good praise.

Yeah "not quite as good as an absolutely amazing game" isn't exactly a scathing indictment.

Glazius posted:

It would actually be dangerous on a gimmick Prinny map because her mount would totally explode if it got caught in a Prinny explosion. You'll get to see some other Hot Mounted Action in Episode 3 once I've scraped together the 300 Mana for Fuka and Desco because they start at 4/5 stars likeability with each other and can ruin some faces with Desco's mounted skill as a result.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Omobono posted:

I dunno, if the worst thing you can say about this game is that D5 is better then it's drat good praise.
I guess that's true, and I'm also forced to admit that D2 has two or three very important things that 5 doesn't. More on that later.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm going to try and get an update out tonight, though I'm really wiped from travel right now so it might slip to tomorrow.

e: I'm feeling a bit better and just got screens, we're tentatively on like Monkey Kong. And anyone who gets that reference can join me after for a good session of weeping.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 24, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Four: Statue Showdown

We’ve got nothing to do around the castle, so we’ll jump right into the next map.

Video- Silent Death Land

Watch

The rest of this episode’s maps all have lead-ins.

Oh, over there!?

The screenshots don’t convey it that well, so if you don’t watch the video you should be aware that the statue is, um, leaking water. In an unfortunate fashion.

Wait… What is that?
I figured adding a fountain feature would be a nice touch to improve this statue.
Wasn’t that nice of me?
What!? It looks like I’m pissing in my pants!
He’s right! You should have at least made it without its pants on!
Oh yeah! Good call, Flonne.
No! You shouldn’t have made it a fountain!

And further indignity is heaped upon him when monsters arrive.

Looks like the monsters like it, though.
I don’t care! That statue isn’t dignifying at all!
Take it down now. Beat up anyone who gets in the way!

It should be noted that the statue on the map does in fact constantly leak water. This has no effect, it’s just funny. The map’s pretty straightforward, it just puts us up against a bunch of Catsabers and Ghosts. Make sure you’re hitting Catsabers with characters that can damage them and take Ghosts out as quickly as possible and this’ll be no problem. Next map.

Video- Withered Local Pride

Watch

This one better be good…

The production values do indeed seem to be higher, though the accuracy is possibly even worse.

Etna! This statue isn’t even of me!
Oh, that… I had the Prinnies make this one on the side.
Do you like it!? The body is just like the real thing!
It looks as far from the real thing as mine, but…I can tell they obviously spent more time making yours!
No fair, Etna! Can you make one of me, too!? With a nice body, of course!
Shut up! Voluptuous statues are nothing but eyesores. Get rid of it!
What!? Why!? Who cares if some of my statues are mixed in with yours?
Statues…? You made more than one? Well, how many did you make?
One and a half times as many as the Prince’s.
That’s not “some”!

Unfortunately, Etna’s statue is received as well as Laharl’s have been.

Ah…! My nice body…!
I guess my statues aren’t the only ones they’re getting rid of.
Oh no! A lot of demons appeared again!
I wouldn’t have cared if they just stuck with the Prince’s statues, but how dare those drat fearless idiots destroy my statues, too…!
Fine! I’ll give them a taste… OF TRUE FEAR!!!

We start the map by getting another quick tutorial on Evilities.

What about those Mothman?
They have Evilities that affect the whole map.
They might be like Chance to inflict status ailments or More poison damage.
Hmph, that’s fine! I’ll just kill them before I get poisoned! It’s a waste of time to worry about it!
Laharl! She warned you, so you should make sure to always check enemy Evilities!

So this is a bit of a gimmick map.

The blue area has a Silence effect that prevents use of skills. If we kill that symbol, though, it’ll turn the area red and give us Ally Boost + 50%. As Etna warned us those Mothmen cause us to be more likely to suffer status effects and take more damage from poison just by existing. This is a problem because those scarecrow enemies have an Evility that applies status effects on their regular attacks. Make sure you have Fairy Dusts or the Espoir spell, or you’ll really suffer from their attacks. That or just lure them and kill them before they can hit anyone. Now let’s move on to the final map of the episode, where we’ll confront Grosso.

Video- Filthy Ruins

Watch

Well, well, Prince. I thought I told you I don’t have time to waste with you.
That being said, and although they were low-class demons, I’m surprised you were able to get through so many of them.
As foolish as you are, I’ll chalk that up to the fact that you are King Krichevskoy’s son.
How could you destroy my, the Overlord’s, statues like that!?
“How could you?” That’s what I’d like to ask you.
Using your father’s notoriety to claim the title of Overlord and performing tyrannical acts for your own benefit…
You are nothing short of evil to us. You are as foolish as King Krichevskoy was wise.
You have zero qualities of an Overlord. I cannot allow your tyranny to continue.
Is that why you destroyed the statues…?
Precisely. However, this is only the beginning.
We will force you to forfeit the throne, and leave the Overlord’s Castle.
Fool.
No one can order me to do anything. I, the Overlord, make my own decision about everything.

Honestly neither Grosso nor Laharl really get what being Overlord is all about.

You could probably count them all on one hand…
Oh, shut up!
At the very least, you’ll have to convince me if you want to call yourself the Overlord.
Hmph…you were just my old man’s vassal. Don’t act so cocky.
If you aren’t convinced, then let me demonstrate…the absolute power I wield as the Overlord!
Oh well, I suppose I have no choice.
It is the responsibility of an adult to punish bad children. I shall discipline you!

More on that later though, now for the map.

Grosso is accompanied by three Warriors, two Mothmen, and two Scarecrows. Let’s just take a quick look at Grosso himself, since he’s a boss and all.

That’s sure an interesting class, isn’t it? Anyway Grosso’s got pretty good stats all around except for his Speed, which is laughably low. He’s also got really poor Movement. He’s a bit more of a caster than a physical attacker, and actually has Star magic.

His Evility makes adjacent allies stronger if he didn’t move. It won’t really come up in this map. Those Warriors are our biggest initial threat, they can Blade Rush and have extremely strong physical defenses. Flonne and any Magicians/Skulls you have are going to be really key to getting them down, because physical attacks won’t be nearly as effective (remember that Staff/Book hits are based on INT and thus are defended by RES). Combo the hell out of Grosso once you’ve got things stabilized. Fortunately, the Scarecrows will spend their first turn buffing themselves which should give you a chance to be ready for them. Still, this fight can be unexpectedly challenging.

Video- Episode 1 Lead Out

Watch

Why not? I wiped the floor with you.
Prince, I think this is the part where we just roll our eyes and listen to his pitiful excuses…
Hmph…so…do you accept me as the Overlord now?
You don’t get it, do you? It doesn’t matter if you possess ultimate power, you still don’t have what it takes to be the Overlord.
Fool! All an Overlord needs is to be powerful.
Therefore, I, the strongest demon in the Netherworld, have everything it takes to be a great Overlord!!!
…Like I said before, I can’t accept you as King Krichevskoy’s successor.
Enjoy playing Overlord for now.

So as I was saying earlier, both of them are wrong here. While having ultimate power doesn’t make you a good Overlord, being the baddest around is in fact how most Overlords got their jobs.

Get the Prinnies to find out where he’s working from. As soon as they find it, let’s wreak some havoc.
Understood!
Laharl, what kind of person was Krichevskoy?
That was way out of left field…
Since that demon said you’re nothing like King Krichevskoy…
I’ve been wondering what made him such a great person.
I don’t know. I never tried to know.
Let’s go back to the Overlord’s Castle.
All right…

We cut away to Grosso getting some bad news about something.

???: We’ve got big trouble. Please take a look at this…
…Huh!?
Wh-What is this!?
???: I don’t know, but we need to do something about it before something bad happens…
Ungh… We are in dire need of a worthy Overlord as soon as possible.
Call in all of our officers! There’s no time to waste!
???: Yes, sir!
drat it… What are they up to?
…drat angels.

And now for our old Disgaea tradition.

Hey…
Using her vassal, Fallen Angel Flonne, as a shield, Etna dashes through wave after wave of demon attacks!
Th-That’s just cruel!

What a selfish bitch…
Next time on Demon Gal Etna Dimension 2, Episode 2: The Birth of Overlord Etna! A new history begins now!

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Episode 2 begins with an unexpected guest. Stay tuned for The Mysterious Angel Girl, Sicily.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Angels are mucking about in the Netherworld again.... how long after the first game does this take place?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

cokerpilot posted:

Angels are mucking about in the Netherworld again.... how long after the first game does this take place?

Couple years or so. This is assuming that Grosso is correct about the source of the problem, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If 5 is the best, and D2 is second, does 4 rank a solid third? Because I think that 4 had the strongest cast out of all the games (Killia felt sorta bland to me, but the rest of 5's cast was awesome).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How psychomorphic is the Netherworld, anyhow? Would it look differently if the Overlord was different?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

If 5 is the best, and D2 is second, does 4 rank a solid third? Because I think that 4 had the strongest cast out of all the games (Killia felt sorta bland to me, but the rest of 5's cast was awesome).

If we're talking about the Vita version I could buy that, because the Vita version introduces a lot of significant quality of life improvements.

Update either tomorrow or Thursday with the start of Episode 2. My travel plans have changed so I won't have an update Friday, but might get one out Saturday or Sunday instead.

Glazius posted:

How psychomorphic is the Netherworld, anyhow? Would it look differently if the Overlord was different?

It's an interesting sort of chicken/egg question but generally I'd say "very" and "absolutely". Overlords tend to rule Netherworlds that very much feel like their personality, and in Disgaea 2 you very clearly see fake Overlord Zenon constantly making the world worse with his awful incompetence and general crapulence.

Honestly Laharl is at worst midway down the competence ladder with respect to Overlords from these games. Shitlords like Fake Zenon, Alexander, and King Drake III make him look positively brilliant. And he's certainly no worse than say Zetta.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 25, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Feinne posted:

And he's certainly no worse than say Zetta.

Citation needed.

Oh wait, I've got one right here. It's from "The Book of Zetta", who is actually Zetta and who will kick your rear end so hard you'll be spitting out bookmarks for a year.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Junpei posted:

Hmm... not really sure, cast is okay but aside from Emeziel they don't really grow or develop and remain pretty one note. And unfortunately the story falls apart after chapter seven.

The Vita version is definitely the one you want to play though.

But fair warning the Vita version does give off the feeling that they wanted to make a game staring Fuka and Desco.

Feinne posted:

Shitlords like Fake Zenon, Alexander, and King Drake III make him look positively brilliant. And he's certainly no worse than say Zetta.

I wouldn't really put Fake Zenon, and King Drake III on Alexanders level. That is giving them a bit more credit than they deserve, you could totally put them on Seedles level though.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Also, don't know if its just me but, the Vita version of 4 seems to freeze and crash a lot? Its not a disc error, I downloaded it from PSN. Might be something to watch out for

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

megamariox posted:

Hmm... not really sure, cast is okay but aside from Emeziel they don't really grow or develop and remain pretty one note. And unfortunately the story falls apart after chapter seven.
I've heard people say the difference between drama and comedy is that drama is about things changing, and comedy is about things staying the same. From that point of view, it's only appropriate for a Disgaea character not to change.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

If it was like in Makai Kingdom, the health of their Netherworld is shared by their Overlord. One of the Overlords was slowly dying and half her world looked like a graveyard.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Five: The Arrival of the Mysterious Angel Girl Sicily

Let’s get right into Episode 2.

Video- Episode 2 Lead In

Watch

Not yet, but the Prinnies should be back right about now…
Laharl, there’s a package for you from Celestia.
From Celestia? Isn’t it just something for you?
It’s probably just another morphing belt or more ranger figures.
I really can’t stand looking at that junk, so can you stop collecting them at the Overlord’s Castle?
Nooo. I live for those things!
But anyway, this isn’t for me. The delivery Prinny said it was for the Overlord.
I see! For the Overlord, huh!? Then it must be for me!

The box is of course from Amazombie, who debuted in Disgaea Infinite.

…He’s so simple.
Anyway, isn’t it strange that Laharl is getting something from Celestia?
I’ve got a bad feeling about this…
Wh-What the--!?

The box vanishes in a, well, not terribly ominous cloud of feathers.

Pwaaahhh!
A-A-An angel…!? It’s an angel!
It was hard to breathe in there…! Took you long enough!
Who the hell are you!?

Meet the episode’s title character.

I’m here to become the Overlord!

Well that’s strange.

We continue after the title card.

Don’t be stupid!
I’m not being stupid! I am for real!
That’s why I came to the Overlord’s Castle!
Why were you shipped in a package?
Hmhmhm! Good question.
So I wouldn’t get lost on the way! Aren’t I a genius!?
I see!
Ummm, no. If anything, that was pure stupidity.
A puny little idiot angel like you doesn’t have what it takes to be the Overlord!
Ummm, you’re really bossy. What gives you the right to say that?
Oh yeah, he’s Laharl. Contrary to how he looks, he’s actually the Overlord.

I love this line.

What!? Really!? I was picturing someone much bigger…
That’s what most people would think.
In that case, let me begin with…

Big Brother Overlord, can I take your spot as Overlord?
You’re even stupider than I thought. No demon would give up being the Overlord!
Really? In that case…let me give you this.
What is it?
Prinny cookies that I baked. I used plenty of sugar, so they’re really tasty.

Flonne’s expression of consternation here is pretty great.

HELL NO!!!
Enough of this mockery!

Anyway Laharl isn’t planning on putting up with this.

Kyah! What are you doing!?
That’s it, angel. I’ll make you regret ever wanting to be the Overlord!
Laharl, stop! She’s just a little girl!
Let go, Flonne! I don’t care if she’s small! She could be old for all I care, I can’t let her get away with that!
I heard that demons were violent, but I didn’t think they were this bad.
Bye for now! I have to come up with a new plan!
Dammit! Hey, Etna! Follow that angel!
Why? We could just leave her be. Some monster would probably eat her.
No! An Overlord can’t let anyone get away with trying to take their position!
Okay, fine, I’m going…

This situation feels somehow familiar. Anyway we’ll see more next time.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Ice is Nice, it’s seriously like we did this before guys.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Laharl, I'm sure there's a universe where you're more distractable than this. Somewhere.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

Hmhmhm! Good question.
So I wouldn’t get lost on the way! Aren’t I a genius!?
I see!
Ummm, no. If anything, that was pure stupidity.

Etna's right. How is anyone supposed to hear her saying "nin nin nin" over and over if she's stuffed into a box? It's like Celestia isn't even training their angels to go on sneaking missions anymore.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Etna's right. How is anyone supposed to hear her saying "nin nin nin" over and over if she's stuffed into a box? It's like Celestia isn't even training their angels to go on sneaking missions anymore.

At some point NIS needs to make a Metal Gear Flonne game where it's game over if every guard doesn't discover you during a mission.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Feinne posted:

At some point NIS needs to make a Metal Gear Flonne game where it's game over if every guard doesn't discover you during a mission.

The guards become increasingly more oblivious as the game progresses, start having hearing problems, poor eyesight, etc.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Obligatum VII posted:

The guards become increasingly more oblivious as the game progresses, start having hearing problems, poor eyesight, etc.

Final level has the Genome Soldiers from MGS1 as guards then?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm back home but feel like hell, 50:50 on an update later today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Six: Ice is Nice

Last time a little kid (who happened to be an angel) showed up and tried to get us to let her be Overlord. Needless to say we didn’t and won’t be doing that. Also if you haven’t already figured it out this is a direct reference to the original Disgaea’s second episode right down to where we’re going.

Video- “Unmoving Land”

Watch

We catch up with her right away.

Look!
Sicily is surrounded by demons! This doesn’t look good for her!
That’s true, but something doesn’t seem right…
Hmph, who cares? I’m going to catch her!
Oh, it’s the self-proclaimed Overlord from earlier! You caught up to me already!?
Haaahahahaha! You thought you could get away?
…Wait a minute.
I’m not the self-proclaimed Overlord! I am the absolute, one and only Overlord!
But all these demons say they don’t know who you are.
Really…? All those statues were for nothing…
drat you…
Fine, then I will engrave into your rotten brains…
That I am the ultimate Overlord of the Netherworld!

A new and unpleasant monster type makes its debut here.

These Slimes will shrug off anything that doesn’t have an elemental damage type. There are plenty of good options for such. Obviously there’s magic from a Skull or Magician, but we can use Book skills, the Sword skill Hurricane Slash, and Laharl’s Blazing Knuckle to also clear them out.

In addition the some Slimes, we also have to deal with a pair of Skulls and a pair of male Healers. Don’t let the Slimes bog you down, throw over them to alpha strike the Skulls if need be.

Video- “Cold Breath”

Watch

We’re up against a couple of new opponent types, Zombies and a Sorcerer. Zombies are healed when they do damage, and Sorcerers debuff the entire enemy party with their Evility. In this case, we’re suffering a 20% evasion penalty for this lady being on the map. Even worse, most of the map has a -50% Attack effect. We’ll want to clear that out right away, because Zombies can also Poison us which won’t give a poo poo about the attack reduction. Fire based skills are extremely effective against Zombies, if Laharl gets surrounded he can clear out a bunch at once with Blazing Knuckle.

A bit more plot with our last map of the day.

Video- “Ice Demon Grave”

Watch

You have angered me, the Overlord! I will chase you to the ends of the Netherworld!
Was what I did really that bad? Aren’t you being a bit too harsh?
Well you did go after this throne, so I think it’s well deserved…
This is getting to be too much work. Why don’t you just let us catch you already?
Absolutely not! It’s time for my secret weapon finisher.
Prin Prinny Prillian!
My cute Prinnies, come on out!

Oh that’s going to be effective.

That was angelic language!
So, are those Prinnies from Celestia?
Hmph! They’re just mere Prinnies.
Don’t take them so lightly.
These Prinnies are the best of the best in Celestia.
Them? Really?
They’re not much different from the ones here.
It’s a strategy to soften you up! A strategy, I tell you!
Now, my Prinnies, don’t hurt them too badly!
W-Wait!
Hmph, weaklings.
I’ll wipe you all out in the blink of an eye!

This is a Prinny gimmick map, which means it’s pretty easy.

The arrangement of Prinnies here is such that we can detonate them all in a chain, which will also take the four Magicians down low. Just throw people over to them to push in quickly after the Prinnies are down.

I think we’ll be able to finish this up next time.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Frozen Showdown

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Next update probably Tuesday by the by, which should finish up this Episode. I actually need to play some more soon, but fortunately I don't have to travel for work again until like late July.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

In the meantime, I'm going to begin a series on Character Classes, with our intro being on the Fighters. And so...

Long Live The Fighters

Our generic fighter class is the Warrior (male)/Valkyrie (female). Let's compare/contrast.

Weapon Skills: Warriors are B with Swords, Spears, and Axes, C with Bows and Fists, and E with everything else. Valkyrie are B with Swords, Spears, and Bows, C with Axes and Fists, and E with everything else.

Stats: Warriors have slightly more HP, DEF, and RES than Valkyrie, who in turn have significantly more HIT and slightly better SPD. Valkyrie take more damage from Wind, while Warriors take more from Ice.

Evilities: Warriors can choose from the following Evilities-

Wild Cry - Increase stats by 15% per enemy unit within two panels. This Evility makes it much trickier to gang up on Warriors with multiple melee attackers, and makes a Warrior much more dangerous if they're diving into a crowd. It's certainly a bit risky, though, because it really only shines if you're already stronger and yet the enemy outnumbers you (since if you're NOT already stronger, they're just going to drag you down with numbers anyway).

Shaking Excitement - Increase stats by 3% per enemy unit on map. A pretty weak Evility when you're on offense, since there have to be at least six enemies on the map still to be better than Wild Cry if you've got even one enemy within 2 panels. It's better if you're taking ranged attacks, though.

Fortitude - Always have at least 1 HP after receiving an attack with max HP. A pretty great tanking Evility, since healing is pretty powerful and it's totally viable to heal someone back from 1 to full in a turn. Obviously if you are targeted by two attacks in a turn you're still dead, though.

Valkyrie have these in the meantime-

Assault Attack - Increase Attack Power by panels moved x 5% (Within turn). A very aggressive Evility that benefits moving around a lot, obviously. Equipment that increases movement goes well with it. It also goes well with Bows, because you can much more easily move your full movement each turn and still have an enemy to attack.

Cooperativeness - Increase stats by 3% per ally unit on map. A more reliable Evility for a Valkyrie you're not wanting to move a lot. it gives you a nice consistent benefit, and unlike the Warrior's equivalent it's much more consistent with the competition numerically

Extra Move - After defeating enemy unit, can move again. A great aggressive Evility for close up weapon users since we can run the Valkyrie in, kill something, then run back to safety. As with Assault Attack it really favors taking some effort to increase her movement to really get in and out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wait, what? Aren't Prinnies, like, the lowest step on the wheel of reincarnation? What would they be doing in Celestia?

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Glazius posted:

...wait, what? Aren't Prinnies, like, the lowest step on the wheel of reincarnation? What would they be doing in Celestia?

The same things they do in the netherworld. Heaven needs indentured servants just as much as hell does in this series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Disgaea 3 had a DLC that showed Prinnies in Celestia for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas in the Prinnies in the Netherworld are basically underpaid labor workers, the ones in Celestia have to do charity work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Disgaea 3 had a DLC that showed Prinnies in Celestia for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas in the Prinnies in the Netherworld are basically underpaid labor workers, the ones in Celestia have to do charity work.

From some of Flonne's lines in the original Disgaea it sounded more like they were maids and butlers.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure since we met him there that Prinny Kurtis was also supposed to have been a Prinny from Celestia.

Things work basically the same, except that Netherworld Prinnies are expected to literally pay for their sins which is why they are paid. It's also why Disgaea Infinite notes the ultimate penalty a Prinny can suffer, the dreaded Negative Salary. Celestial Prinnies are just expected to do nice poo poo for its own sake. I'd suspect Netherworld Prinnies probably CAN actually reincarnate that way too (for example Big Sis Prinny) but that's not generally the way of things.

Oh and there will probably be some more character information tomorrow, do we want to hear about Mages or Martial Artists?

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 29, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Does Assault Attack only factor in the distance the Valkyrie moved with her own move command? Or will it measure the whole distance covered when she gets chain-thrown clear across the map?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
What's the actual difference between like B and C rank in a weapon? Does it multiply the stat given by the weapon, or a flat boost, or what?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mages.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

booksnake posted:

What's the actual difference between like B and C rank in a weapon? Does it multiply the stat given by the weapon, or a flat boost, or what?

The difference between a B rank and a C rank is in how fast the character can master the weapon. A character with a B rank will be able to hit level 255 in weapon mastery faster than a character with a C rank.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Martial Artists I usually don't keep any around longer than it takes to unlock more classes, so I want to hear what they've got that's worthwhile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

megamariox posted:

The difference between a B rank and a C rank is in how fast the character can master the weapon. A character with a B rank will be able to hit level 255 in weapon mastery faster than a character with a C rank.

And mastery IIRC multiplies the stat bonuses on the weapon, so e.g. if you have rank 10 with Fists and you have a fist weapon with +250 Speed, then your actual Speed bonus will be like +400 instead (numbers made up).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

IMJack posted:

Does Assault Attack only factor in the distance the Valkyrie moved with her own move command? Or will it measure the whole distance covered when she gets chain-thrown clear across the map?

I'm pretty sure it's only what is Moved and doesn't count throws, because several Evilties that require you not to move don't count being thrown as such.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And mastery IIRC multiplies the stat bonuses on the weapon, so e.g. if you have rank 10 with Fists and you have a fist weapon with +250 Speed, then your actual Speed bonus will be like +400 instead (numbers made up).

This is the case, you get extra stats from your weapons depending on your Mastery. It should be noted that monsters don't have a weapon skill and therefore can't benefit from one in this way, instead they get extra stats from their weapons based on their level (their magic ranges work the same way, which can be super annoying when doing serial reincarnations because when they go back to level 1 they briefly can't always cast a 3x3 if the actual skill level is too low, and yes it's relevant because one of the strongest DLC characters is in fact a magic monster).

One cool new feature to DD2, you don't have to Reincarnate to upgrade to higher tiers of the same class anymore. You can now Promote people which maintains their present level while converting them to the next tier, it's pretty sick (and extremely important for Mages/Skulls since you need to be a couple tiers up to actually learn Star magic along with your natural element).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I want to hear more about mages tomorrow, since I prefer magic in just about everything I do.

• Locked thread