Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
For me, publication has been a pretty detached experience - the piece goes out, the money comes in, then I never really hear about it again. The exception has been live readings, which are a pretty cool environment to actually interact with fans. It's nice to see people so excited to see you, even if you're some random short-fiction unknown. People often approach to chat afterwards .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Defenestration posted:

I wrote a story that I know is good. I've sent it 40 places and they all rejected it. I shortened it by a thousand words for a contest which I also didn't win.

My question is can/should I start resubmitting it to all the big names if it's 1k shorter and the rejection was in 2013? Or is this dumb?

(It's a literary short set in the near-future. Not really scifi but commercial spaceflight is a major plot point)
How do you know it's good? Rejection happens, but if 40 different places have bounced it (and they're not giving you "we liked this but it doesn't fit our current issue please submit in future kinda emails) then it might need further revision.

You shouldn't resubmit to places you've already sent the same story, regardless of edits. If you want to try again, try a new piece.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If I sounded like a bit of a dick before, I wasn't trying to - I was more wondering if you'd thrown it up in CC at any point for crit. The writer is often the worst person to see issues in the story: if you need fresh eyes, you only need to ask.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How long is it?

Maybe try Hunger Mountain or Yarn -- both are currently closed for submissions, but they have windows coming up in May and September respectively.

• Locked thread