Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Don't count on markets to provide feedback. Use instead something like CC, Scribophile or Critters.

The pro rate has been bumped to 6 cents a word, at least for the SFWA, even if Duotrope counts 5 as ''pro.'' Aim for 6 cents plus.

The Horror Tree is a good resource for new genre markets. It often has stuff that Duotrope and Grinder hasn't posted yet, plus some markets never show up on those (usually anthologies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There's worse, like Fireside, I believe. My long shots (but quick turnaround) markets are: Clarkesworld, Nightmare/Lightspeed, Shimmer, The Dark. Then a bit slower, F&SF, Fantastic Stories of the Imagination, Lamplight, Black Static.

Most of these are horror or at least dark fantasy.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

For GP and others who have been published a few times or more, I'm curious to know: Have your readers ever contacted you? I mean through social media, wordpress, email etc. If so, what have these interactions been like?

Never a reader, but a couple of reviews mentioned my stories in particular. Not enough of them!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mostly slushers see your work and they have a high turnover rate so I'm not too worried.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bruh I just made Ellen Datlow's long list for Best Horror of the Year.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks, guys. It's not available for free I'm afraid. I'll probably throw it on my blog when I get the rights back.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

$300 payment for a short story oh yeaaaaah gimme dat pro rate yo

In other news I haven't sold poo poo, this is all stories I sold in '15 that are coming out this year.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks, fellas.

I made a list of markets that are open right now, some have deadlines, some don't, all pay something(not royalties).

http://www.cotronis.com/blog/2016/8/15/markets

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Realistically you're gonna get a different slusher in all likelihood. But I still wouldn't do it. Write the next one.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Just send it to anthologies that open up here and there. Plenty of places to sell to.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sold a story to the Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing newsletter/Dark Moon Digest, along with a reprint of an old story.

In other news one of my stories is getting translated in French for the magazine Tenebres in 2017.

I'd love this thread to be more active. What can I help with?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Use Duotrope stats to gauge. Like volume of submissions. Go to your favorite journal that you KNOW is popular and scroll to the bottom where it says ''Pieces submitted here were also submitted to:''
Also check the hardest ones to get into and the highest paying ones. Use all of that and you should have a better idea.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, none of those are happening.

I haven't sold anything new, but I'm shortlisted over at Ares Magazine, so hopefully something will come of it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

New year, new markets: http://www.cotronis.com/blog/2017/1/12/short-story-markets-and-submission-calls-2017-edition

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I have a story in the latest Dark Moon Digest. It's a rip off of Palahniuk's Lullaby.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sold a story to Pantheon Magazine. I think I've been shopping it around since 2012 or so.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also congrats ravenkult!

Thanks!

My story, HEARTLAND will be in Turn to Ash vol 3.

*kickflips out of thread*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

New calls for submission (mostly genre, but some lit): http://www.cotronis.com/blog/submissioncalls

I sold a reprint to Tales to Terrify, which is a podcast.

• Locked thread