Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I submitted a short piece (fifty words past flash fiction) to some journals yesterday. It's my first submission and not knowing much about journals I submitted to ones I vaguely recall from talking to writers and poets. This of course means I submitted to ones that are extremely hard to get into, and I could be waiting a while to hear a response. Of course I could also be rejected after they skim two paragraphs because the piece is really a love it or loathe it type thing.

Does anyone have advice for finding journals that have decent readership, but may not be well known? I've been releasing a lot of my writing (fiction, poetry and essay) on my website and it's difficult building up an audience unless I review a popular up and coming band, or a literary event (and then the attendee might retweet it and I get five views including them.) Really I'd just love to know my work is being enjoyed by someone, and if a place wanted to throw me some beer money as well it'd be great.

I signed up to Duotrope and am going to cave to paying the five bucks, but I have no idea about reach or spread of these journals. (Note, I haven't really written any fantasy or SF since my urban fantasy novel.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Submitted on Wednesday morning GMT, got a response Friday noon GMT, "Thank you again for giving us the chance to consider "Walk." We're very sorry to say that it's not quite right for us, but we hope you find a good home for it soon."

I'm working up some poems now, old ones I've rejigged with newfound experience. And I'm writing a short story. And I'm doing my usual blogging. Gotta keep powering on. And I'll keep going with my novel and play as well. All basic level stuff but I have to start somewhere.

• Locked thread