Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I find that the quality of the journal is another important part of structuring submissions.

I had an unfortunate situation where a journal I would really have liked to be in wanted my story, but it had already been accepted by a less prestigious outfit. It wasn't my fault, as they didn't properly deal with my withdrawal email, but it felt somewhat bad.

I would recommend not sending to "awesome journal you love" and "somewhat crappy mag you've never read" at the same time for this reason. Organize your journals into tiers, and wait until the first tier has all replied before you move on to the next.

My top tier for literary flash is Bartleby Snopes, Smokelong Quarterly, and Word Riot. All three are massive stretches that I would be ecstatic to be accepted by, and all have fast turnaround times.

After they have rejected me I can look at more narrowly focused and less popular sites on a case-by-case basis.

(please bear in mind I only have had a few things accepted. I'm no expert.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I just sent a humour piece to https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/ on a whim, and this hammered home the importance of the Formatting section above.

The magazine was built on mailed submissions. They have moved to email subs, but still insist on a very particular format. I had to download a pdf and follow a bunch of rules to format my story in a way that I don't even find very easy to read.

Well worth it though, as with their volume of subs I would imagine anything less would result in it being binned without even taking a look. Now I can rest assured that they will at least have to read a few sentences of my terrible writing before binning it.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
That's a great point, twist. If you see a story you like, consider tweeting about it- link the story and @ the author.

You never know- they might read some of yours in return.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I do the website for the journal Flash Frontier: https://www.flash-frontier.com

We're currently looking for entries for out June issue - a maximum of 250 words on the prompt Stolen.

I just had a look and saw we had an astronomical 30% acceptance rate on duotrope, although this is an international issue so it's likely to be a little pickier. Myself and a few other goons have had our first pubs on there though, and there's definitely some cool stories that have been on there.

So if you'd like to have a go at getting something published in a fairly relaxed venue, head to http://www.flash-frontier.com/submissions and submit something by midnight on the 31st!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made it to the final selection stage for Flash Fiction Online,

Grats! I think they have the biggest readership of any dedicated flash fiction site, iirc.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

ravenkult posted:

$300 payment for a short story oh yeaaaaah gimme dat pro rate yo

In other news I haven't sold poo poo, this is all stories I sold in '15 that are coming out this year.

It's still awesome! well done!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It's not the done thing to resubmit a story to the same market. Worst case scenario is you get blacklisted one of your top markets. I think it's kind of rude, too.

Since you're very confident in it you should save it and just put it in for competitions as they come up. There's enough of them and they take long enough to judge you're not ever likely to run out of places to submit it.

Good luck! I know the feeling :-)

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I've had an acceptance from a new magazine, geometry, which is the first time I've been paid for a story. Also about a dozen goons from the thunderdome had their recent stories accepted for flash frontier.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Id like to thank you for starting this thread. I've been looking to get more into writing and this is a helpful resource when I'm going to look for other places. I'll be turning a submission to my college's magazine shortly.

Nice! Good luck!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Wow spectres that's amazing feedback. Well done.

Mrenda - looking at the acceptance rates on duotrope will really help put those rejections in perspective. Some of them are at less than 1%, and they're overestimates of the actual rates.

Once you've got rejections back from all your top-tier places, just submit them to a bunch of mid-tier ones. Once they have all rejected it submit to the low-tier ones. Meanwhile submit your next story to your top-tier markets!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I got a story accepted for Takahe Magazine. https://www.takahe.org.nz

It's the first time I'll have a story in a print journal, which is cool. They spent a bit of time on proofreading, too, which is cool of them. Only a couple of minor corrections and one change suggestion but it's nice that they care enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Name names! It will be interesting to look them up on duotrope and see what kind of an operation it is. Not getting any kind of critique is 100% normal though - you shouldn't expect it.

It's normal for places to get you to send a short bio with your sub, but I would expect a photo only to be asked for once you've subbed.

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread