Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lmao they have an app to showcase their wait times.
My TSA by Transportation Security Administration
https://appsto.re/us/SwwQw.i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
just lol if you dont use Einstein–Rosen bridges to teleport yourself and your belongings instantly through time and space

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BlueBlazer posted:

I agree, I flew out of O'hare a couple weeks ago and we spent 2.5 hours in the fuckin TSA line, so some guy whole told me to put my laptop back in my bag to take it out and get probed afterwards because I didn't leave it out of the bag. Lucky I showed up 4 hours early.

It's an constant reminder that america is ran by a bunch of loving cowards.

no, it's run by people who know that security theater is important for keeping idiots from freaking out

and whats this coward stuff? lol

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Doesn't the TSA find tons of illegal poo poo and post it on a website?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just walked by a checkpoint with 4 open, and 12 lanes closed. Their trolling the American people.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Isaac posted:

My friend is a minority who works with explosives and he gets positive results on the bomb swab when he gets it.

Yeah. I have this happen sometimes. It shows positive. They say so. I respond with, yes I have been using explosives. Then they wave me though.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I had a family member who had a security clearance back in the early 90's when he worked for a government contractor. When the job was done they all lost that clearance since it was just for that job and time period. A decade and a half later, all the computer shows is that he had a security clearance then he "lost" it, which is a huge red flag. Well that's my TSA gently caress up story thanks for playing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

plain blue jacket posted:

Doesn't the TSA find tons of illegal poo poo and post it on a website?

yes but usually its things like nail files and water bottles

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

no, it's run by people who know that security theater is important for keeping idiots from freaking out

and whats this coward stuff? lol

The coward stuff comes from American mythology. "give me liberty or give me death". Americans are supposed to be such hardcore freedom lovers that death is preferable to putting up with bullshit. We all know that's a lie of course. Americans put infinite value on human life, which isn't practical.

Is the security theater worth it to save 1 person a year? What about 100 or 1000? In a country of 400 million losing a few hundred a year to terrorism should not be a big deal.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
OH i thought it was because like our past 5+ presidents have all been draft dodgers, and the war hero ones mostly lose elections

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

The coward stuff comes from American mythology. "give me liberty or give me death". Americans are supposed to be such hardcore freedom lovers that death is preferable to putting up with bullshit. We all know that's a lie of course. Americans put infinite value on human life, which isn't practical.

Is the security theater worth it to save 1 person a year? What about 100 or 1000? In a country of 400 million losing a few hundred a year to terrorism should not be a big deal.

It's almost like u don't know the meaning of the word terrorism!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Darth123123 posted:

It's almost like u don't know the meaning of the word terrorism!

I'm g ay!!!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Only somebody who doesn't live in America believes that Americans put infinite value on human life. In fact I'd say we treat life pretty cheaply for the most part.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

notZaar posted:

In fact I'd say we treat life pretty cheaply for the most part.

non-white lives, sure

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
seriously if you fly a lot pay the $80 for PreCheck.
Best money I ever made my company spend.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
CNN is doing a story at the top of the hour. I wonder if they time delay live shots still. If you are in o'hare look for news people, you could get on TV nationwide.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
TVs nation wide? Imagine the thousands of elderly people who will see your face.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matey posted:

This is a shout out to my friend, Mecca. Check her out, she's an awesome singer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9LbUQrLhqY&

this sucks

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lmao shut the gently caress up

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

shoophobo posted:

seriously if you fly a lot pay the $80 for PreCheck.
Best money I ever made my company spend.

this is what I'm doing, have an appointment a few days before I fly out next but I don't think it will be in effect before I fly out

sooooo I'll be getting to the the airport at 3 in the morning I loving guess

last couple of times I went out of O'Hare the wait was over an hour, security lines overflowing out of the little roped off areas and stretching allllll the way across terminal 3 so they met in the middle

also I got flagged for the little bomb stick somehow so I had to wait another 10 minutes while they putzed around

I knew about the wait times but there's always people freaking out about missing their flights in the line now

can you imagine someone setting off an explosive device in the middle of one of those bigass security switchback lines

I can since there is literally nothing stopping that from happening lol

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

this is what I'm doing, have an appointment a few days before I fly out next but I don't think it will be in effect before I fly out

sooooo I'll be getting to the the airport at 3 in the morning I loving guess

last couple of times I went out of O'Hare the wait was over an hour, security lines overflowing out of the little roped off areas and stretching allllll the way across terminal 3 so they met in the middle

also I got flagged for the little bomb stick somehow so I had to wait another 10 minutes while they putzed around

I knew about the wait times but there's always people freaking out about missing their flights in the line now

can you imagine someone setting off an explosive device in the middle of one of those bigass security switchback lines

I can since there is literally nothing stopping that from happening lol

The FBI is stopping that from happening you idjit.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

The FBI is stopping that from happening you idjit.

How?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wiretaps probably, I don't know. If we knew then it would be probably be easier to blow up one of those lines.

Really it must be a miracle that nobody shot up an airport yet, seems like such an easy target.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Wiretaps probably, I don't know. If we knew then it would be probably be easier to blow up one of those lines.

Really it must be a miracle that nobody shot up an airport yet, seems like such an easy target.

So you agree that theoretically there is no obstacle to someone doing this.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

This has already happened befire, some guy shot up thw el al counter in lax a while ago

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol I just drive everywhere now even 2000 miles I dont loving care I hate flying

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
some people just recently detonated bombs near check-in counters and a starbucks. they didn''t even need to reach the security line for mass carnage. at istanbul-ataturk, you have to get screened as soon as you enter the airport, and then again after check-in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
you could fit a really big explosive device inside a piece of rolling carry-on luggage

like big enough to loving vaporize the whole security line I'm pretty sure

but take your shoes and belt off, assume the position in the scanner thingy that I'm sure some legislator-connected business makes and let me make sure that screwdriver isn't over 5 inches there

ultimately we rely a lot on people just sorta not getting too murdery as a societal construct; think of it what you will

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

This has already happened befire, some guy shot up thw el al counter in lax a while ago

Pu leeze. I'm taking about a massacre, not an incident. Think 'sandy hook' or 'Oklahoma city'.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you catch an std from sleeping in the airport you got cot rot.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

tbqh it would probably be really easy to bomb an airport and these lines would make it all the more worthwhile

just thinking out loud here

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I haven't flown in like six or seven years. I'm not afraid of terrorists. I just don't like being loving hassled by fat idiots. So I vote with my dollars and drive wherever I go.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ferroque posted:

tbqh it would probably be really easy to bomb an airport and these lines would make it all the more worthwhile

just thinking out loud here

all the muslims are too busy murdering each other to attack america good job OBL

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I find the magnitude and consistency of TSA's failure pretty amusing. Remember when DHS tested them and they had a 95% failure rate, and the TSA director got all butthurt because it wasn't fair that DHS already knew security procedures and how to beat them. Mmmm good stuff. I can't wait for the increased coverage of their total ineptitude this summer!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Looks like I'm going to be roped into a 1.5 hour meeting next Tuesday in Connecticut where I'll have to leave my house at 3:00AM, take two flights, land at 9:30AM, drive for an hour, wait 4 hours, speak bullshit, drive an hour back to the airport, take two flights and get home at midnight. The only thing that could make that worse is missing flights because TSA hires high school dropouts and there's not enough of them that can remember the phrase "remove all items from your pockets"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've lately just completely given in to the fact that flying just sucks rear end

parking expensive?
parking tram not working so you've gotta wait for the backup shuttle?
long security line?
everyone takes 2 years to throw their poo poo on the plane?
Tiny-rear end seats apparently designed for people the size of pixies?
take 20 minutes taxi-ing to gate?
crying baby next to you on plane?
can't drink because you've actually gotta do poo poo when you get there?

who cares none of this is a surprise; in fact if the experience is not in some way alike to sitting on a red-hot railroad spike then you should be worried because the plane is probably going to crash to even things out

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

Pu leeze. I'm taking about a massacre, not an incident. Think 'sandy hook' or 'Oklahoma city'.

If the guy wasn't such a fuckup he would have done more

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RedMage129 posted:

I find the magnitude and consistency of TSA's failure pretty amusing. Remember when DHS tested them and they had a 95% failure rate, and the TSA director got all butthurt because it wasn't fair that DHS already knew security procedures and how to beat them. Mmmm good stuff. I can't wait for the increased coverage of their total ineptitude this summer!

To be fair, that administrator got canned, his staff was investigated by a congressional panel for incompetence and fraud and put a nice spotlight on all the rotten parts.

The new administrator got the job and immediately stopped programs that weren't working (a lot of them) and has been applauded by both sides of the aisle.

But yeah, lines this summer are going to be insane for basically everyone. Their budget keeps getting smaller and allocated improperly. Once people get stuck all day in a line, I hope they write their representative and demand change.

sub girl
Jan 3, 2007

oh screw this ultra banal conversation

pr0k posted:

I haven't flown in like six or seven years. I'm not afraid of terrorists. I just don't like being loving hassled by fat idiots. So I vote with my dollars and drive wherever I go.

I called flying quits when I saw they could take naked pictures of me for no reason whatsoever. "We delete them after we're done." Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You don't even have to have made it through high school to work for TSA. They literally hire rejects from mall security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sub girl posted:

I called flying quits when I saw they could take naked pictures of me for no reason whatsoever. "We delete them after we're done." Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You don't even have to have made it through high school to work for TSA. They literally hire rejects from mall security.

I think one time a tsa agent shot another agent because he went through the naked scanner for a training thing and afterwards everyone started calling him baby dick because they could see he had a baby dick

Enjoy your flight guys!

• Locked thread