Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
You know how when the plane engines start up the A/C is cut off?
I love when all the rubes immediately reach up and start fiddling with the vent then get annoyed they don't have air blowing in their face for 30 whole seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
people rush in zone group flights because assholes bring gigantic carry ons so overhead bin space is at a premium

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

I hate yankees posted:

people rush in zone group flights because assholes bring gigantic carry ons so overhead bin space is at a premium

This is why I only travel with my computer and 2 outfits.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

truth in this post. it actually feels way less confrontational than other airlines because everyone is lined up neatly before boarding instead of a surging mass of people jockeying for position when group 2 is called up. and unless youre at the end of the line you have a decent chance of sitting up front because people would rather sit 20 rows back than take a middle seat on an hour long flight

I'm the guy on the aisle or window seat that gets angry when someone comes to sit in the middle seat when the airline announced the flight would be full.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

I hate yankees posted:

yes

doesn't make it any less stupid, just wait until there are only 5 people left in line, then if they plane is stuffed you check your carry on for free

I really want to hear a good logical reason for the way people behave in airports, I would be a happier person if I knew that I'm not witnessing proof that 99% of the human population are complete morons every time I'm at the aiport

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

yes

doesn't make it any less stupid, just wait until there are only 5 people left in line, then if they plane is stuffed you check your carry on for free

I really want to hear a good logical reason for the way people behave in airports, I would be a happier person if I knew that I'm not witnessing proof that 99% of the human population are complete morons every time I'm at the aiport

they are, this is what happens when humans have no natural predators

we need a culling imo

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AugmentedVision posted:

yes

Nope, 99.999% of people are scum and that scum is at their worst when in airports/on airplanes. I have a lot of family in the airlines and there's some seriously awful poo poo that happens, and I waited tables for years at an Applebee's in college, so you can imagine the type of scum I've dealt with. Some of the best stories are from my father though, he was a pilot and is definitely not someone to gently caress around with (not that he's going to punch someone, but he does NOT put up with BS).

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012

MF_James posted:

Nope, 99.999% of people are scum and that scum is at their worst when in airports/on airplanes. I have a lot of family in the airlines and there's some seriously awful poo poo that happens, and I waited tables for years at an Applebee's in college, so you can imagine the type of scum I've dealt with. Some of the best stories are from my father though, he was a pilot and is definitely not someone to gently caress around with (not that he's going to punch someone, but he does NOT put up with BS).

Don't leave us hanging. Tell the garbage people stories.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

yes

It's because everybody is stressed out and pissed off and they know they'll probably never have to deal with you again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how they remind you that the front toilet is only for first class passengers.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

notZaar posted:

It's because everybody is stressed out and pissed off and they know they'll probably never have to deal with you again.

But why are there only ever like 5 people on a 200 person flight that are smart enough to just chill until there isn't a 2 mile line? I understand that people are mean and selfish, why are they so stupid?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hate yankees posted:

I like it when people try to bring massive duffle bags and other stuff in as carry ons.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Transportation Security Administration is flooding Chicago's O'Hare International Airport with more staff and resources after hundreds of passengers were stranded as their planes took off while they waited in line, local and federal authorities said Tuesday.

TSA Administrator Peter Neffenger apologized at a travel conference Tuesday in Houston to the more than 450 passengers who didn't make it onto their flights overnight Sunday and Monday as the security screening lines crept along at O'Hare.

"We had a significant challenge in Chicago yesterday," Neffenger said. "I don't know what that was, but fixing that, that is of great concern to me. "

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tsa-apologizes-delays-promises-hundreds-new-staffers-chicago-o-hare-n575701

"I don't know what that was, but fixing that, that is of great concern to me. "

They aren't going to fix it I bet.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I know what the serious problem was. They hire subhumans as TSA employees. If they hired actual people instead of retarded meat robots, things would be fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tenspott posted:

I know what the serious problem was. They hire subhumans as TSA employees. If they hired actual people instead of retarded meat robots, things would be fine.

They would have to have the budget for a real wage, though. I think most if them earn around $15/hr. and, as we are seeing, is becoming the new minimum wage.

Airport security guards, federal employees tasked with keeping the public safe are earning minimum wage.

Edit: They will never be able to hire quality people who give it their all so long as they remain uncompetitive.
A big issue is getting rid of the lovely employees that skirt by every year and don't do quite enough to get fired. If any of you have worked for the federal government, you'd know how impossible it is to get canned.
Not only do you have to go down a table of discipline in sequence but you also have to have the support of your superiors.

If employee X is a complete rear end in a top hat and barely does his job but is drinking buddies with his boss, he's untouchable unless you have 100% proof that the stole something or are on drugs right now.

I've seen dozens of racist, sexist xenophobes fail upwards because they tell jokes that the boss likes. I've seen even more get lodged into their jobs and cannot be fired because they are just smart enough to not poo poo their pants.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 18, 2016

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'll be on 8 planes over the next five days, through 6 different airports.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Went through TSA at JFK a few days ago and was pretty uneventful except for all the agents yelling at a Chinese family who clearly spoke little English and agents trying to figure out whether my 3DS had to be in a bin of its own to go through screening for five loving minutes.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Dealing with US airports is loving stupid. Saw this older couple line up for boarding last time I was in Chicago for a flight that wasn't boarding for 3 hrs. That me first mentality that so many Americans have just make us look incredibly stupid.

Too many people bringing on stinky subway food and pillows on a 90 min flight. Just get on the plane and shut up until we get there.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

I Might Be Adam posted:

Dealing with US airports is loving stupid. Saw this older couple line up for boarding last time I was in Chicago for a flight that wasn't boarding for 3 hrs. That me first mentality that so many Americans have just make us look incredibly stupid.

Too many people bringing on stinky subway food and pillows on a 90 min flight. Just get on the plane and shut up until we get there.

What?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

It's pretty clearly written and composed. Do you have reading comprehension issues?

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

It's pretty clearly written and composed. Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Apparently. Something about subway and old people?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Just lol at all you nomad people flying dozens of times per year.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
O'Hare is such a lovely-looking old airport

like the look has not changed for the almost 30 years I've been alive lol

at least the neon walkway thing on the way into the United terminal is cool I guess

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I pack myself in a shipping crate and call UPS for a pickup. I highly recommend it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGQWfLzkeE

edit: I've only flown Australian and Canadian, and it's been a little annoying but mostly pleasant. I also found out it's way more comfortable not bringing a carry on bag. Some people go crazy with their carry ons like they couldn't possibly be comfortable unless they haul 20 pounds worth of poo poo with them on their flight.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 18, 2016

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Darth123123 posted:

Posting from ORD ATM, pretty chill

:hf: as am I

pre-check is p much a necessity

also nice that work footed the bill

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I love it when some moron argues with a flight attendant. Yes, the niggling rules and regulations are annoying, but FA's can get you thrown off a flight for any made up reason they want thanks to the 'better safe than sorry' policy airlines operate on. Arguing with them is never going to go your way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Airborne Viking posted:

I've only flown Australian and Canadian, and it's been a little annoying but mostly pleasant. I also found out it's way more comfortable not having a carry on bag. Some people go crazy with their carry ons like they couldn't possibly be comfortable unless they haul 20 pounds worth of poo poo with them on their flight.

I think the most frustrating airport experience I ever had was entering the American zone at the Montreal airport. You get all of the TSA bullshit but with French-Canadians who move in slow motion. I had 90 minutes to catch my connecting flight and I barely made it despite a short line because they moved so goddamn slow.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

you could fit a really big explosive device inside a piece of rolling carry-on luggage

like big enough to loving vaporize the whole security line I'm pretty sure

but take your shoes and belt off, assume the position in the scanner thingy that I'm sure some legislator-connected business makes and let me make sure that screwdriver isn't over 5 inches there

ultimately we rely a lot on people just sorta not getting too murdery as a societal construct; think of it what you will

no one actually cares about stopping mass death. airport security is to prevent a plane being used to harm important people and expensive building's

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

The_Franz posted:

I think the most frustrating airport experience I ever had was entering the American zone at the Montreal airport. You get all of the TSA bullshit but with French-Canadians who move in slow motion. I had 90 minutes to catch my connecting flight and I barely made it despite a short line because they moved so goddamn slow.

The montreal trudeau airport is a hellhole on it's own, no need for the TSA.

The mirabel airport was a much better layout, but it was so far away from everything. Although, because of the lovely road network and constant state of road works, one could argue that at this point it takes just as much time to get to Trudeau than Mirabel, but with even more stress and anger because of the lovely traffic.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Homeland Security is laying down the law, with suggestions,

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/homeland-security-airlines-get-rid-baggage-fees-shorten-lines-n576371

The head of Homeland Security has a bit of advice for airlines who want to shorten long waits at airport security: waive fees for checked baggage.

"We've asked the airlines to consider possibly eliminating the checked baggage fee to encourage people to check their luggage rather than putting it in the carry on," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday evening.

It's a call echoed by U.S. Senators Edward Markey and Richard Blumenthal who also pitched the idea in a letter last week to a dozen major U.S. airlines.

The airlines' response? No way.

So homeland security has to know long lines are a security risk right?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lime Tonics posted:

Homeland Security is laying down the law, with suggestions,

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/homeland-security-airlines-get-rid-baggage-fees-shorten-lines-n576371

The head of Homeland Security has a bit of advice for airlines who want to shorten long waits at airport security: waive fees for checked baggage.

"We've asked the airlines to consider possibly eliminating the checked baggage fee to encourage people to check their luggage rather than putting it in the carry on," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday evening.

It's a call echoed by U.S. Senators Edward Markey and Richard Blumenthal who also pitched the idea in a letter last week to a dozen major U.S. airlines.

The airlines' response? No way.

So homeland security has to know long lines are a security risk right?

The hand of the free market

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I believe this is a states rights issue so therefor

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The head of security for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration has been removed from his position, according to an internal TSA memo on Monday seen by Reuters, after the agency was criticized for long lines at airport security checkpoints.

Hoggan came under fire at a U.S. House Oversight Committee hearing on May 12 for receiving over $90,000 in bonuses and awards over a 13-month period in 2013-14.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-security-tsa-idUSKCN0YE2R1

They fired the top guy, but replaced him with the second top guy so nothings changed.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

shoophobo posted:

You know how when the plane engines start up the A/C is cut off?
I love when all the rubes immediately reach up and start fiddling with the vent then get annoyed they don't have air blowing in their face for 30 whole seconds

I love that in this day in age they cannot bother to figure out how to not give everyone swamp rear end in a smelly plane until after the engines start. That 30 seconds you are lacking fresh air is 30 seconds you are inhaling jet fuel fumes and airborne fecal matter from the unwashed masses packed in around you.

I remember back in the 70s when people used to bathe, dress up for flights, and planes actually made an attempt at making passengers comfortable.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't know how taller/bigger people sit in the coach seats for any length of time

I think it would be better than those miserable coach seats if they packed you into horizontal tubes

We don't if you're over 6' you better pray its an isle seat so you can have some leg room in the aisle. Also hope that your airline employees arent dicks that crash their lovely carts into you instead of asking you to move.

ArbitraryC posted:

What's even better is when the person in front of you wants to lean back and then gets upset that you can't retract your knees like a telescope. I dunno why they even bother making the seats have that recline function, it's not enough to actually make you any more comfortable but if the person behind you has long legs it just makes them even more crowded.

This 100% gently caress you fat person in front of me you can't recline and I'm not letting you butcher my legs with your repeated attempts to recline.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 24, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cartouche posted:

I love that in this day in age they cannot bother to figure out how to not give everyone swamp rear end in a smelly plane until after the engines start. That 30 seconds you are lacking fresh air is 30 seconds you are inhaling jet fuel fumes and airborne fecal matter from the unwashed masses packed in around you.

I remember back in the 70s when people used to bathe, dress up for flights, and planes actually made an attempt at making passengers comfortable.

back in the 70's planes used a lot better air in the cabins. now that smoking is banned in planes they can recycle the air quite a bit more and the average air quality has actually gone down :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Give back right of way to passenger trains. I was shocked that in England you can take a train to a location as fast as you could drive there. In the US it literally takes three times as long. Charlotte to Chicago takes over 30 hours by train.

• Locked thread