Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Update on last page

So, I decided to take some time to check out the earlier vids you did in the Kirby eries. Some comments:

- Holy crap those old puzzle games are annoying, especially the pinball one. I couldn't watch through all that and I'm surprised you didn't give up at some point.

- In one of the vids it was said that the very first game was short and you could play through in no more than a few hours. While that is true, Kirby's Dreamland was one of the first games I had as a little kid and I was bad at games, and I spent months if not years playing that game every so often trying to finally beat it. And I did, in the end. As a kid I never managed to finish most other Gameboy games I had. Super Mario Land was just too hard.

I also remember my cousin, who's my age or just slightly older, also had Kirby's Dreamland and I was completely convinced that if two people had the same game and you connected them with the link cable, something special would happen. He kept telling me it wouldn't, and I just didn't believe him.

- Did one of you seriously claim that salty water conducts electricity worse than regular water because the salt "blocks the flow" or something? Holy crap. Water by itself cannot conduct electricity, distilled water is an electrical insulator. It's dissolved ions (charged particles) that flow around conducting electricity. And how do you get ions? By dissolving salts. The reason tap water conducts well is because it already contains plenty of ions, compared to distilled water. And ocean water conducts even better, because it contains a lot more ions.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Did one of you seriously claim that salty water conducts electricity worse than regular water because the salt "blocks the flow" or something? Holy crap. Water by itself cannot conduct electricity, distilled water is an electrical insulator. It's dissolved ions (charged particles) that flow around conducting electricity. And how do you get ions? By dissolving salts. The reason tap water conducts well is because it already contains plenty of ions, compared to distilled water. And ocean water conducts even better, because it contains a lot more ions.

I'm gonna step directly in front of this bullet and say that yes, I am a total idiot. My first instinct was that the salt greatly increased conductivity over freshwater, but I second-guessed myself and went with the substantially stupider answer.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kirby's Dreamland was tough for me too, because I sucked at Kabula. I beat Dedede on my third try though but I always had a friend beat Kabula for me.

Shine and Bright are the only tag team boss in the series, right? The rest of them you basically fight one-on-one, don't you?

ricdesi posted:

Yeah, so... I'm still working out how I'm going to handle the postgame in terms of the harder bosses, but I think ultimately I'm going to at least show each of them... and that's about it. I win: great! I lose: move on. This postgame can take a literal eternity, and no one wants that.

I really, really don't blame you for skipping most of the nonesense. BN3's post game is excruciatingly padded, especially since in order to properly access areas you need to kill all the V3/Beta Navis and collect basically every standard chip. Just show off Serenade and BassGS. If you feel up to it, you might wanna try taking on AlphaOmega, but ehhhhhhh. Don't do the time trials. Cheat through them. Nobody likes the time trials.
Anyhow, gz on beating Alpha!

-Grab FolderBack* ASAP. That chip is godly
-You can for sure grab the Three Tomes quest from the Job Board now. Despite the fact you have no need for Zenny, you should do it anyway since you get a QuickGauge *
-The GaiaBlade, Fountain and whatnot require a lot of hoops to be used. First off, your style has to match the element of the chip. Yeah. Notice how it says Wood: in the description? That's your only hint. And yes, Fountain and Salamander travel from you to a hole on the opposite side of the field. Thunderbolt is vastly more useful since it hits *all* objects on the field and BN3 loving loves field objects. Simple combo if you have Elecstyle: Fan * + Thunderbolt *. Put it on the front row, wait for enemies to be pulled towards you, use Thunderbolt. Put more field objects for more hits. Use IceStage to double their damage. BN3 is Balanced.
-GaiaBlade is actually crazy good, and if you can use it (which you can), it's the best chip of the bunch. If you have the MasterStyle requirements in your folder, but they're not coming up, you can sacrifice Salamander, Fountain and whatnot to boost GaiaBlade's damage. This absolutely destroys Flashman and Electric-form Darkman.
-Poltergeist lifts all objects on the field and throws them at enemies, doing 200 damage each. Does not work on Kingman's chess pieces though.
-The megabuster chip is what the game does whenever you do something it doesn't like. Whether it's using version-invalid chips, using dummied out chips, or just general fuckery. IIRC its chip graphic is identical across all the BN games!
-I would say use the Collect NaviCust program to help you get chips (you get it on Wily's Island from a hidden jack-in port right near the boat), but :v:

-When choosing which chips to keep or to sack, at the very, very least base your codes off your Megas and then build your folder using those codes. Try to play through scenarios in your head. Is Metalman really that good for instance? He's a 130 damage attack that you have to manually aim and his only gimmick is that he can break through obstacles (which isn't good and wastes your attack) since double damage vs frozen enemies isn't a thing until BN6. CurseShield3 does a lot of damage, but how many bosses can you effectively use it against, especially since BN3 has a fetish for field objects? Don't feel bad, it's a common trap these games make you fall into since you are used to these chips, you can't imagine throwing them out and starting from scratch.
-Also you have 2/3 of a LifeSword PA in your folder. I don't thumb my nose at LifeSword, but have all the ingredients for it at least.
-Invis * is free mercy invincibility.
-If you like, use the Sensor series since it's incredible and easily boosted by Ice Panels. The KillerEye virus can also be obtained from the first dungeon, and they provide a good chip.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Kirby's Dreamland was tough for me too, because I sucked at Kabula. I beat Dedede on my third try though but I always had a friend beat Kabula for me.

Shine and Bright are the only tag team boss in the series, right? The rest of them you basically fight one-on-one, don't you?

I had more trouble with Kracko. And of course, Lololo and Lalala are also a double fight.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Regarding your most recent episode which I guess you haven't technically posted yet.
you can go into the boss rooms after beating them to play a mini game. Getting a perfect score in the mini game gives you a percentage point.
You also get a percentage point from finding the pink blob in a sack instead of gooey and grabbing it.

Once you hit 100 the boss rush shows up in the options menu

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 4, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Major apologies for the lack of updates -- Thursday was my work's annual island retreat thing and I've been drunk/recovering since then. Here on out it'll be one video per update post.

SSNeoman posted:

I really, really don't blame you for skipping most of the nonesense. BN3's post game is excruciatingly padded, especially since in order to properly access areas you need to kill all the V3/Beta Navis and collect basically every standard chip. Just show off Serenade and BassGS. If you feel up to it, you might wanna try taking on AlphaOmega, but ehhhhhhh. Don't do the time trials. Cheat through them. Nobody likes the time trials.
Anyhow, gz on beating Alpha!

So the episode that's going up "today" (tomorrow early at this point) is going to be the full α/β set, along with the breedable virus locations, heavily edited to spare everyone the agony. I think tomorrow's episode will be the confrontation with Serenade, along with probably a supremely hacked-together deck just to make it even slightly possible.

SSNeoman posted:

-Grab FolderBack* ASAP. That chip is godly

On that between today/tomorrow for sure.

SSNeoman posted:

-You can for sure grab the Three Tomes quest from the Job Board now. Despite the fact you have no need for Zenny, you should do it anyway since you get a QuickGauge *

Gonna have to remember to swing back to the BBS at some point during my missions today.

SSNeoman posted:

-The GaiaBlade, Fountain and whatnot require a lot of hoops to be used. First off, your style has to match the element of the chip. Yeah. Notice how it says Wood: in the description? That's your only hint. And yes, Fountain and Salamander travel from you to a hole on the opposite side of the field. Thunderbolt is vastly more useful since it hits *all* objects on the field and BN3 loving loves field objects. Simple combo if you have Elecstyle: Fan * + Thunderbolt *. Put it on the front row, wait for enemies to be pulled towards you, use Thunderbolt. Put more field objects for more hits. Use IceStage to double their damage. BN3 is Balanced.
-GaiaBlade is actually crazy good, and if you can use it (which you can), it's the best chip of the bunch. If you have the MasterStyle requirements in your folder, but they're not coming up, you can sacrifice Salamander, Fountain and whatnot to boost GaiaBlade's damage. This absolutely destroys Flashman and Electric-form Darkman.

Yeah, all things considered, I am REAL glad I ended with a Wood Style. Tornado is fantastic in the right spots, and GaiaBlade is so clearly the best of the four it's amazing they left it so imbalanced.

SSNeoman posted:

-The megabuster chip is what the game does whenever you do something it doesn't like. Whether it's using version-invalid chips, using dummied out chips, or just general fuckery. IIRC its chip graphic is identical across all the BN games!

Haha, I thought I recognized that card image before. Definitely saw it while setting up postgame stuff for BN1/2.

Kurieg posted:

Regarding your most recent episode which I guess you haven't technically posted yet.
you can go into the boss rooms after beating them to play a mini game. Getting a perfect score in the mini game gives you a percentage point.
You also get a percentage point from finding the pink blob in a sack instead of gooey and grabbing it.

Once you hit 100 the boss rush shows up in the options menu

Yep, realized that after we started the next game. We're thinking about taking a "Hard Mode Tour" near the end of the Dreamy Let's Play, at least showing off what the Hard Modes of the various games look like. Might toss this back in just for that, ha.

And now, without further ado, the remainder of Kirby's Dream Land 2 (sorry for the slight flood):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNtBmoNOwiw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcE2CfBr_wY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9YdBcRxexE

New episode and a new game Monday! John already hates me for this one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

New episode and a new game Monday! John already hates me for this one.

(Checks)
Oh god I forgot that game existed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You got some audio desync in the second half of your first video.
And I like Dark Matter as a villain. Though it takes until Crystal Shards for him to become a genuine threat. Seriously 64's Dark Matter does some hosed up poo poo.
The rainbow sword kinda stopped being a thing, though you do get to use Master/Galaxia later in the series. I guess they just preferred to use kid-friendly things like star rods and star staves instead. It does fir the theme a lot better.

ricdesi posted:

See, I'm intrigued by the prospect of the Star Force stuff because I basically played zero of that series. I had a busted R button on my DS when I got the first game, which makes it... kinda difficult to play. So that'll be interesting.

Starforce 1 is a genuinely interesting game. It's not very hard, the game itself was more of a way to showcase the cool new 3D graphics that the DS could provide over the GBA.
But it's story was actually top notch. When you get passed the Capcom science, it actually has a lot of heart and it said some very prescient things about social media and its impact on society. Keep in mind, it came out when FB wasn't all that popular and Twitter wasn't even a daydream, but it talked about the need to be connected and how people seek it, or why they shun it. Geo's character actually has a great arc throughout the story, and while he is mopey, you never feel annoyed with him. And you do sympathize with the loss of his dad and how he comes out of his shell throughout the course of the game.
You might notice I'm not talking about the gameplay. Well for SF1 Capcom decided to dial it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back and make the game more accessible for new players. It...didn't really pan out. The game wasn't popular enough to justify the effort, and veteran players (assuming they didn't scorn the faux-sequel on principle) broke the game in two with. Like I said, it was more of Capcom showing off their 3D bosses more than anything. OTOH, it's extremely accessible to casual players.

SF2 goes and fucks all that up! The game has no loving balance. You can break it over your knee in so many ways. There's a code you can enter which gives you Tribe King at the start of each fight. What's Tribe King? It's a form that normally requires multiplayer support from other players of different versions. You combine their forms with yours to activate Tribe King. This normally takes 2 turns (at best) but you're rewarded with a form that has a crazy good buster, an insane Big Bang and doubles all your card damage. This code gives it to you automatically at the start of each fight. BTW, I do mean every loving card, gigas included.
The encounter rate is insane. The post-game area is the worst in the SF series and arguably the worst relatively to the entire BN/SF franchise.
And the story. gently caress's sake the story is just awful. It's got a shitton of dumb plot twists. Every characters sans Sonia acts like a blazing jackass to Geo and they introduce an ow-the-edge rival named Solo. The ending is goddamn awful and totally shoots its theme of learning to move on in the face.
SF2 smothered the SF series in the crib due to how bad it was.

SF3 on the other hand, is goddamn amazing. Its story takes half of its game to pick up, but in the second game it hits its loving stride hard (unfortunately you have to get past AN ABSOLUTE rear end in a top hat FROM SF2 WHO SHOULD BE MURDERED BY WAY OF LAMENT CONFIGURATION :argh:) both story and gameplay-wise. Apparently the devs knew this was probably going to be the last SF game, so they made sure to go out with a bang.
The gameplay mechanics are revamped and improved for the most part. The Noise system makes random drops fun and the game features an extensive customization system. Even more so if you use cheat codes to unlock certain features that were dummied out in the American version :v:
If you can have multi-player Brothers, you can take advantage of Multi-Noise to create some super silly combos. If you can't, you can rock with RogueNoise and just cut all things with your souped-up sword cards. I have my gripes about this system, but I'll take it over SF1 and 2's any day.
Another super helpful feature is that you can get Navi/Wizard cards from V1 versions instead of just zenny. I have no clue why it took them this loving long to implement this feature, but thank god they did. It makes 100%ing this game quite a bit more tolerable.
The characterization is hit-and-miss. Ultimately I felt Geo was fantastic, though it takes him half of the game to get there, Bud was great along with several other stand-outs and I love the villains. OTOH hand, Luna. Nothing too terrible, BN is much, much worse on this front, but still a downturn from SF1.
And the post-game is fantastic, and features a boss that genuinely punts your balls even if you do abuse game mechanics.

Kurieg posted:

(Checks)
Oh god I forgot that game existed.

Megaman and Bass convinced me I was bad at Megaman until I tried Megaman 2. Then the skills I got from Megaman and Bass made me utterly demolish that game, though admittedly MM2 ain't that hard. I will probably never beat MM&B without save states because -gently caress- that Tower 2 boss. DO YOU LIKE PLATFORMING AND BOSS FIGHTS!? DO YOU FUCKER!? DO YOU!?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Megaman and Bass convinced me I was bad at Megaman until I tried Megaman 2. Then the skills I got from Megaman and Bass made me utterly demolish that game, though admittedly MM2 ain't that hard. I will probably never beat MM&B without save states because -gently caress- that Tower 2 boss. DO YOU LIKE PLATFORMING AND BOSS FIGHTS!? DO YOU FUCKER!? DO YOU!?

That wasn't the game I was talking about.

There's a kirby game inbetween Dreamland 2 and Superstar.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

In a very loose sense there are two games between, but the second one is a lot trickier to make happen for a myriad of reasons, the primary one being "Why did the Satellaview even exist?" Working out logistics for that one right now, I've got my hands on at least a third of the pieces for that one, it might get relegated to a one-off "hey, wasn't that weird/neat?" video so we can get past it. Kind of a bummer though, it's got a lot of neat ideas I'd love to mess around with. More digging required.

But yeah, your instincts are right on the nose here. Shooting the live intro tonight then putting up the video once I'm done with it. Might be a bit late, but it's goddamn hilarious. John's taking the lead on this one at least to start, gonna see if we can beat it quickly and move on.

SSNeoman posted:

You got some audio desync in the second half of your first video.

UGH. We've been having issues with that lately, the RetroN5 and the HD PVR 2 have been at odds with each other on an increasingly frequent basis. For some reason, it really hates the Game Boy games we play lately, and Battle Network has always been an issue for some reason. We have two consoles, might switch to the other to see if it helps, otherwise we may need to replace either the PVR or the RetroN.

SSNeoman posted:

And I like Dark Matter as a villain. Though it takes until Crystal Shards for him to become a genuine threat. Seriously 64's Dark Matter does some hosed up poo poo.
The rainbow sword kinda stopped being a thing, though you do get to use Master/Galaxia later in the series. I guess they just preferred to use kid-friendly things like star rods and star staves instead. It does fir the theme a lot better.

I do love Dark Matter, I wish it got fleshed out a little better though. Always seemed like just some cosmic horror without any real explanation. Which is awesome once in a while, but it just seems like the apocalypse is hovering just off Popstar and no one ever seems to notice.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

My fave iteration of Whispy Woods is in Mass Attack, which just blows up the character to its logical extreme: a entire woods of Whispys. Was sweet stuff.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It was only a matter of time, love the fact that Whispy Woods is now basically part of some bizarre ent species with their own forest. Which begs the question: has Whispy Woods been the same Whispy Woods this whole time, or have we been eliminating them one by one?

Clanky Woods pretty much made me fall instantly in love with Planet Robobot during the PAX demo, can't wait to get my hands on the real game!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Only four more days, then I've got a large package of amiibos and a smaller package of "game" arriving at my doorstep.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Alright, here we are now. Took a lot longer to get prepped than intended, but we've started posting videos for our newest game in the lineup, Kirby's Block Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGtp9isszDQ

We did get some pretty immediate feedback (from only one viewer on this specific topic, but the number's not super relevant) that, in so many words, the lead-in was too long and not entirely relevant.

...yeah, that's probably true. It was a bad case of wikiholing, where Block Ball didn't have a lot to be discussed, so I decided to pull in Arkanoid. Which somewhat mandated pulling in Breakout. Which made talking about Pong and Atari in general somewhat valuable backing, and in the end we wound up with an intro that had not terribly much to do with the game at hand.

No Skip on this one because I finished editing at 5:30am Monday night, and I was cursing the rising fireball in the morning sky, and hadn't planned accordingly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

For as maligned as the gameplay is in block-ball, it does have a pretty good soundtrack.

Also: How many episodes does it take you guys to realize that you're supposed to beat the border line score?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 9, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It was on my mind literally the whole time, but as far as full-on sure-thing realization? 5.

And agreed, the soundtrack is surprisingly crisp!

I will say, watching John struggle with this stuff is amusing as all hell. The "reticle"-style control of four paddles looks a little difficult to get a grip on though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j798EspBHEs

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 9, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Never challenge computers to air hockey. From my experience, they're better at it than they are loving chess.

I actually beat Arkanoid II using save states. 99 levels! And every 33 levels you fight Doh (a Maoi head dude) and the first two times are a fake out ("the planet we were heading towards was a trap created by Doh") and you reach the planet after stage 99.
That's not the hard part. The hard part was either stage 94 or 97. It's a giant spiral created from indestructible blocks and the destructible blocks run in between. The last few require VERY precise shots and it's basically a luck based crap shoot.

There was a f2p game called Alphabounce which had a Javelin power up. it's basically a giant vertical laser that comes out of your paddle and destroys all blocks in one vertical line. The time between javelin charge sequence depends on how many blocks are left, the fewer there are, the smaller the time gap. So if you have just one or two blocks left on the board, it's an easy way to clean up. And if you have a lot of blocks but they're in a hard to reach place, you still have an out. Very clever game design.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 9, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, what's up with that, anyway? How is it we can make reasonable AIs for all sorts of 2P games, but for some reason air hockey it's either "total moron" or "savant", nothing in-between? So strange...

Never did beat Arkanoid, I can't imagine anyone pulling that off in an actual arcade without spending half a paycheck on it. I'll definitely have check out Alphabounce if it's still kicking around, that sounds pretty neat!

Meanwhile, it's my turn to take a swing at the game, 'cause we need to get through this alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhDpOI3RLs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At that boss, coudln't you use the Stone power because it's a boss level... or because you already had the bouncy power going when you pressed the button?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I must have been doing something weird there, because in today's first episode I totally do wind up using Fireball in the boss room. I think you're right, attempting the bounce may have been all it needed in order to not work, even if it didn't give me "Big Kirby".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cio34lmMO8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Watching you guys fail bonus chances because you're bouncing around as a giant kirby instead of using your powers is causing me physical pain.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah... I have no idea why it never occurred to use to use the abilities in there, I think we just sort of assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that they wouldn't work.

The good news, though, is that aside from the odd hiccup this game was actually rather short! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbm5iZ-AQXE

Working on today's video, a nice short and sweet intro, should be up later tonight!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah you guys kept complaining about how long this game is, but it really isn't that bad. Beating the pinball game is much more annoying because it's so much more luck-dependent.

Even unlocking the final stage of Block Ball isn't that hard: you can just pop back into an earlier stage, pick up a power and leave, so you never have to enter a stage without a powerup. Needle lets you aim from the paddle at any time. Rock lets you fall straight down while fireball shoots you straight up. Even if you can't use them effectively to smash through a crapload of bricks, you can use them to very specifically set your position, removing most of the randomness of the angles. It still takes a bit of practice but it's perfectly doable. Also, those random power-up roulettes are slow enough so that you can just pick whatever you want.

I brought up the sex line thing you talked about elsewhere, and someone noted that in the mid-90s, 1-800-BIG-BOOB happened to belong to a monastery. They weren't pleased when they found out what letters their number made.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah you guys kept complaining about how long this game is, but it really isn't that bad. Beating the pinball game is much more annoying because it's so much more luck-dependent.

John will complain about the length of a sneeze, I wouldn't read too much into it. But yeah, this one was surprisingly short, I was expecting it to take a lot longer, but this wasn't so bad. And you're totally right, Pinball Land was SO much more luck-based that it became infuriating to play.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Even unlocking the final stage of Block Ball isn't that hard: you can just pop back into an earlier stage, pick up a power and leave, so you never have to enter a stage without a powerup. Needle lets you aim from the paddle at any time. Rock lets you fall straight down while fireball shoots you straight up. Even if you can't use them effectively to smash through a crapload of bricks, you can use them to very specifically set your position, removing most of the randomness of the angles. It still takes a bit of practice but it's perfectly doable. Also, those random power-up roulettes are slow enough so that you can just pick whatever you want.

That's not a bad point -- being able to grab powers at will would definitely make those border lines significantly easier to pick off, at least in the earlier stages.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I brought up the sex line thing you talked about elsewhere, and someone noted that in the mid-90s, 1-800-BIG-BOOB happened to belong to a monastery. They weren't pleased when they found out what letters their number made.

Ahahahahaha, that's fantastic. I think the only time I really won at "Is It Porn?: Website Edition" was the there's-no-way-this-could-be-real URL of burqababes.com. It was real, at least in 2008.

Anywho, guess what? It's time for a new game! A NEW new game! Kirby: Planet Robobot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJrrQKFoc0

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Oh my God this is freaking adorable. And awesome. And a bunch of other positive adjectives. I like this game already.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh trust me it's an absolutely amazing game, that references games from earlier in the series that I guess we technically haven't seen yet as far as this Lets play is concerned. Like Spark is basically super-plasma at this point, and Mirror shows up despite only having been in the Superstar game (and utterly destroying bosses).

There are also a ton of musical cues stolen from Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, and Triple Deluxe.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Oh alright I'm digging this, mech's cool"

*scans fire*

*mech transforms into fire and gets burner arms*

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :tem: :tem: :tem:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I've been playing Planet Robobot off and on since it came out and it's hella good. Especially when the robot gets certain powers in later levels.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

While Canvas Curve is an okay game and Epic Yarn is also great.... I'm kind of a sucker for the classic platformer, eat-and-gain-powers Kirby gameplay. I hadn't heard of this new game yet, but watching that video, it looks like they got all the puzzle pieces right. That mecha is fantastic.

It does seem they use a lot of good ideas from other (Nintendo) games, but I'm not sure how much of that is on purpose. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Robobot is really just the distilation and evolution of Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe. Each had their own gimmicks and ways they interacted with puzzle solving. RTD had the Super abilities which were basically repeated scripted cutscenes that did a thing and usually killed the entire screen's worth of enemies. But they were varied and interacted with the puzzles in a unique way. Triple Deluxe had Hypernova, which was.. not as good. A level with Hypernova in it boiled down to holding down the B button repeatedly until the puzzle was solved and the level was over. But the Robobot is a gimmick that builds on your existing powerset, rather than taking anything away. There are only a few powers in the game that the Robobot can't copy, and outside of a few puzzle sequences it really is up to you which power you want to use to fit your playstyle. It's also used more often because it isn't just an I Win button, it's a force multiplier, and there are things that it can't do therefore allowing for some interesting puzzle solving. Triple Deluxe was okay but I'd say that Robobot is probably a better Kirby game, and it's arguably better(if shorter) than Return to Dreamland.

Just please for the love of god no one spoil the final boss for them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Or for me.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh wow, look at all the new replies! Guess playing the new game right away was the right call, haha.

LucyWanabe posted:

Oh my God this is freaking adorable. And awesome. And a bunch of other positive adjectives. I like this game already.

Everything about this game is just... wonderful. I feel silly just dropping flowery language all over it, but Planet Robobot is (so far anyway) just a completely pleasing experience. This is what I wanted the Dreamy Let's Play to be all about :)

Kurieg posted:

Oh trust me it's an absolutely amazing game, that references games from earlier in the series that I guess we technically haven't seen yet as far as this Lets play is concerned. Like Spark is basically super-plasma at this point, and Mirror shows up despite only having been in the Superstar game (and utterly destroying bosses).

There are also a ton of musical cues stolen from Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, and Triple Deluxe.

I have definitely noticed a wealth of references from across the series, even (weirdly enough) the Dream Course credits music. HAL visibly loves themselves in a very non-narcissistic way, and I couldn't be happier.

SSNeoman posted:

"Oh alright I'm digging this, mech's cool"

*scans fire*

*mech transforms into fire and gets burner arms*

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :tem: :tem: :tem:

kalonZombie posted:

I've been playing Planet Robobot off and on since it came out and it's hella good. Especially when the robot gets certain powers in later levels.

I am so pumped to see all the various mech powers, you guys have no idea.

Carbon dioxide posted:

While Canvas Curve is an okay game and Epic Yarn is also great.... I'm kind of a sucker for the classic platformer, eat-and-gain-powers Kirby gameplay. I hadn't heard of this new game yet, but watching that video, it looks like they got all the puzzle pieces right. That mecha is fantastic.

It does seem they use a lot of good ideas from other (Nintendo) games, but I'm not sure how much of that is on purpose. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though!

Yeah, at the end of the day, while HAL does seem to love experimenting with Kirby in unfamiliar territory, he's always going to be a soft platformer at heart. It seems they've been realizing that lately, and pulling him away from the sidegamey stuff.

Kurieg posted:

Robobot is really just the distilation and evolution of Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe. Each had their own gimmicks and ways they interacted with puzzle solving. RTD had the Super abilities which were basically repeated scripted cutscenes that did a thing and usually killed the entire screen's worth of enemies. But they were varied and interacted with the puzzles in a unique way. Triple Deluxe had Hypernova, which was.. not as good. A level with Hypernova in it boiled down to holding down the B button repeatedly until the puzzle was solved and the level was over. But the Robobot is a gimmick that builds on your existing powerset, rather than taking anything away. There are only a few powers in the game that the Robobot can't copy, and outside of a few puzzle sequences it really is up to you which power you want to use to fit your playstyle. It's also used more often because it isn't just an I Win button, it's a force multiplier, and there are things that it can't do therefore allowing for some interesting puzzle solving. Triple Deluxe was okay but I'd say that Robobot is probably a better Kirby game, and it's arguably better(if shorter) than Return to Dreamland.

Yeah, what little I've played of Return to Dream Land definitely made the Super Abilities seem a little... I don't know, forced? Deus Ex Machina-y? It just looked nice, but didn't have much of an apparent point to me. Haven't actually played Triple Deluxe before, but I heard that Hypernova was just sort of disappointing too.

But it does seem like you basically have the animal companion dynamic from Dream Land 2 & 3 boiled down to its most basic form, while giving it the added benefit of being a goddamn mech, so there's a distinct separation between "with mech" and "without mech" that wasn't there for the animal buddies. Much puzzlier, and I am ALL about that.

Kurieg posted:

SSNeoman posted:

Or for me.

Yes, please! Games that have been out a couple years, or don't rely much on plot I don't tend to mind too much, but as a lifelong Kirby fan (my second Game Boy game, after Super Mario Land), I desperately wanna be surprised here. Thanks for stepping up on that front, ha.

And now, with that all out of the way, here's yesterday's episode! Would have posted it when it went up, but I was a bit absorbed in some major live video stuff for this coming weekend. Kirby's just about the only series not involved in it, so I probably won't post it in this thread, but there'll be good stuff going out starting Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3r5iOJq-a8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well I think skipping ahead might have been a little premature because most of it's references are to Superstar, but it sounds like you're going in blind so eh.

As far as the ending... it's... it's a Thing. Even by HAL's standards it's pretty loving out there.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Not super concerned about skipping past Super Star for this one, since that seems to be the game that everyone has touched at some point or another. Definitely feels like the natural extension from Super Star into the Return/Triple set.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well since you didn't play 3d I should point out that getting all the code cubes in an area unlocks an extra level. And getting all the code cubes in the game(including the ones in the Extra levels) unlocks a final extra level focused entirely around the Robobot.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Fantastic! We did already record Parts 1-5, which includes opening up the Patched Plains Extra Stage, so I figured we'd shoot for clearing the Code Cubes if we can manage it without grinding things to a halt. And if there's a bonus bonus level, then hell yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unless you have any specific code cube questions, one thing I will mention is that if you're solving a puzzle where you have to rotate a cylinder with spark wiring on it, once you've solved it's puzzle just keep rotating it in one direction until it stops. That was a puzzle that stumped me for a very long time and is pretty unintuitive unless you're playing in 3d (Which you aren't if you're capturing).

Also: if you go into the Sticker menu while on the world map you can put stickers (one on each arm) on the Robobot.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Haha, I'll definitely keep both of those in mind -- the next episode we're recording is next Monday's, so we'll probably open by messing with stickers (and possibly sneaking around 1-4, too).

Having some catastrophic laptop issues (been saving up, by the end of July I believe I'll be replacing it), which means today's videos can't get uploaded until I can hammer it all together tonight (nor tomorrow's excellent Mega Man video, which has me much sadder, tbh), but tomorrow's episode went up just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyOLIWtXLOQ

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing you only need like half of the code cubes foundin the levels to open up the boss areas. Kinda how you only need the white chests to beat Squeak Squad.

ricdesi posted:

(nor tomorrow's excellent Mega Man video, which has me much sadder, tbh)

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do all of the powers have that many pages of attacks, or is it just Fight simulating a fighting game?

In the former case, I'd like to see some more super hyper power combos.

• Locked thread