Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure Fighter, Smash, Ninja, And Sword are pretty high up there in number of moves. Same with spark because "Charge a little" "Charge some" "Charge a bunch" and "Charge to max" are different moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Hello again, guys! I'd like to apologize for two big issues we've been facing over the last week or so:

First, right on time to completely facefuck us in the midst of our channel's 5th birthday, my editing laptop's hard drive suffered a catastrophic fault, resulting in roughly 7x the usual production time per video, as I needed to salvage as much footage as I could, while editing our videos on either my work laptop (a Mac, and thus not friendly with my external hard drives) or my old editing laptop, one that underperformed so severely that it drove me to purchase my current editing laptop in the first place.

As such, The Dreamy Let's Play ended up suffering a one-week hiatus.

Compounded onto this, we managed to lose our video footage for not only Part 4, but also Parts 6-10 of Planet Robobot, resulting in extremely inconveniently-timed emergency re-recording sessions, and as such, this makes 7 out of our first 10 videos that have been reshoots in one way or another. Which is really a shame, because we adore this game, and losing our genuine, blind reactions to this majesty is disheartening, to say the least.

The good news is that I have installed a brand-new solid state hybrid drive, and the editing laptop is running like a dream.

So I'll be catching this thread up with the series in chunks similar to before, two at a time so as not to flood the thread, but also to ensure that anyone getting their updates from here instead of our channel can still catch the whole thing.

So without further ado, here are last Thursday / Friday's episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tnWnbbo-MQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLiz-lswPg

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll catch up with the vids later, but I'm just glad you guys aren't dead/didn't forget about this thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure if you guys realize this later, but you always seem nervous about going through doors/using stars for fear of missing something. If the star above the door/in the 3d star is Orange, it's 2 way, meaning you can/will come back. If it's yellow it's one way.

Also I'd suggest checking the power pages for everything even if you think you remember them from Superstar. Mirror, Crash, and Mic all have new additions, and mirror's in particular are particularly strong because this game has reduced the enemy damage immunity interval to almost zero in order to accommodate Poison.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'll catch up with the vids later, but I'm just glad you guys aren't dead/didn't forget about this thread.

In hindsight, we got exceptionally lucky with our hard drive death, since I was able to recover all of the necessary Premiere Pro project files. Losing those would have meant several days of reconstructing intros, outros, icons, the works. Very very fortunate, all things considered.

That said, we also were lucky enough to retain our Mega Let's Play files, and the Super Sonic Let's Play hadn't even been started yet, so all of those turned out safe too. Gonna be building threads for those tonight I think.

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if you guys realize this later, but you always seem nervous about going through doors/using stars for fear of missing something. If the star above the door/in the 3d star is Orange, it's 2 way, meaning you can/will come back. If it's yellow it's one way.

Yup! Someone had pointed it out in the comments, though us talking about it may have been in one of the dead videos. Paying much more attention to star colors as a result!

Kurieg posted:

Also I'd suggest checking the power pages for everything even if you think you remember them from Superstar. Mirror, Crash, and Mic all have new additions, and mirror's in particular are particularly strong because this game has reduced the enemy damage immunity interval to almost zero in order to accommodate Poison.

Yeah, it came as a big surprise to me that Mic is now an area-of-attack move (though I actually think that helps balance an otherwise broken move), I'll have to take a look at Mirror and Crash though.

Loving that Poison is just a rejiggered Water, btw. Took me a few recording attempts to finally notice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You might be okay for the Sonic Lets Play but there was a rules update recently that would cause issues with dumping the entirety of your Megaman backlog.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763182#post461217520

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh god yeah, no I wouldn't go dumping that. I got in enough trouble for linking to a few dozen at the start of this thread, the Mega Let's Play is around 550 videos in, I'd be burned alive in the streets.

I think what I'd wind up doing for the Mega Let's Play is start from Mighty No. 9: Part 1, along with one of the following (in order of likelihood):

• Simply saying "the first three chapters of the Mega Let's Play are available on our channel" and leaving it at that
  • Making one link apiece for Part 1 (Jan-Jun 2015), Part 2 (Jul-Dec 2015), and Part 3 (Jan-Jun 2016).
  • Including a mention (non-linked) of the list of games included in each of the three parts

#1 is obviously the most likely (and safest) option, if for nothing else than to not piss literally everyone off, but #2 might not be entirely out of the question if it's just a link and no real continued discussion of those, just starting with Chapter 4 and going forward like that. Would have posted both threads last week, but I was out of the state on vacation (so well timed, I know), and internet was tricky enough as it was).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'd probably stick with #1, and maybe ask in the sandcastle too.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Definitely starting in the Sandcastle this time, ha. Learned that lesson well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Whoah ESP is cool!"

*mech ESP*

"I NEED THIS GAME IN MY LIFE YESTERDAY!"

And I beat Megaman and Bass with Megaman and I was deeply disappointed how easily you clowned that flying tank rear end in a top hat. You even missed his gimmick: His punches destroy the platforms. Also he can use that screenwide energy ray too. If he fires it, then it's a matter of luck whether or not you can recover.
Part 3 King did indeed have a platform and was 2ez in comparison, so I felt your pain.
And I really, really don't blame you for save stating. The game intends for you to spam magic card against Wily, but that's a risky strategy with Bass. And the fight itself is just unfun and hard.

What gets me about the game is that it never really tells you about the full extent of your powers. Magic Card fires horizontally and vertically, but it can be spammed. Remote Mine can destroy the laser crystal. Thunder makes you invincible (apparently that's how you're supposed to survive Wily teleporting next to you point blank). I have no idea why the devs would think players would be up for seeing what each power does in every possible scenario. Bleh.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 30, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The fact that the game was designed for 4:3 TVs and they introduced some really lovely scrolling to compensate on the GBA didn't do them any favors either. There were all sorts of times that they died to some bullshit that was perfectly visible on the SNES version.

And the trick with the thunderbolt power isn't that you're invulnerable, it actually removes your hit detection box somehow, the Megaman TAS of the SNES version involves them glitching their way into a wall with Thunderbolt and then teleporting 30 screens to the right with regularity.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 30, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

"Whoah ESP is cool!"

*mech ESP*

"I NEED THIS GAME IN MY LIFE YESTERDAY!"

The ESP power is by far my favorite new power so far, and the ESP Mech is just broken beyond belief. SO NICE.

SSNeoman posted:

And I beat Megaman and Bass with Megaman and I was deeply disappointed how easily you clowned that flying tank rear end in a top hat. You even missed his gimmick: His punches destroy the platforms. Also he can use that screenwide energy ray too. If he fires it, then it's a matter of luck whether or not you can recover.
Part 3 King did indeed have a platform and was 2ez in comparison, so I felt your pain.
And I really, really don't blame you for save stating. The game intends for you to spam magic card against Wily, but that's a risky strategy with Bass. And the fight itself is just unfun and hard.

What gets me about the game is that it never really tells you about the full extent of your powers. Magic Card fires horizontally and vertically, but it can be spammed. Remote Mine can destroy the laser crystal. Thunder makes you invincible (apparently that's how you're supposed to survive Wily teleporting next to you point blank). I have no idea why the devs would think players would be up for seeing what each power does in every possible scenario. Bleh.

Amusingly, I did see the platform-breaking ability off-camera while getting back to the final King battle, but it didn't seem like something that warranted specifically pointing it out in the buildup. Even with Bass, recovering from that poo poo is hard as hell. And yeah, the powers are weirdly implemented in this game. They seem to want you to experiment, but never really give you an incentive to do so.

Kurieg posted:

The fact that the game was designed for 4:3 TVs and they introduced some really lovely scrolling to compensate on the GBA didn't do them any favors either. There were all sorts of times that they died to some bullshit that was perfectly visible on the SNES version.

And the trick with the thunderbolt power isn't that you're invulnerable, it actually removes your hit detection box somehow, the Megaman TAS of the SNES version involves them glitching their way into a wall with Thunderbolt and then teleporting 30 screens to the right with regularity.

Ugh, yeah, the screen size is easily the #1 issue at play here. It really screws up the platforming, since it feels like you're just making wild guesses 90% of the time.

And to continue with the mild catchup, here are Monday and Tuesday's Planet Robobot videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJJdKDTpRw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWI_hgpSyQw

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah wow that new FPS recording looks way better. God this game is so cool. I'm really impressed that each level has its own theme thus far.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'm honestly sort of embarrassed that I never saw the 60FPS option on the 3DS Capture Card before. Or maybe I did notice it, but was always too concerned about framerate issues, then put it out of mind? Not really sure, but either way I'm much happier with the video quality here -- definitely gonna have to remember this when stuff like Pokémon Sun & Moon happen on the channel.

And yeah, the level layouts are really nice and unique, I'm happy they managed to take one overarching theme of technology taking over, while still allowing each "zone" to feel fresh and distinct.

Here are the last two "catch up" episodes by the way, from Wednesday & Thursday. Today's episode goes up at 3pm EDT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rLXlBQw0pg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J0gqiO6Vp8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm somewhat disappointed we missed out on your genuine reactions to the Jet and Wheel Bots. Thankfully there are still a few dozen more surprises for you.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 1, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So am I :( The technical hiccups are ultimately my fault, these laptop repairs should have come ages ago, but I wanted to just get through the anniversary weekend first just so I had a bit more time to devote to it. So naturally, that was the event affected the most.

The good news is, the old hard drive is undergoing lots of diagnostic tests, and if it turns out that the original Parts 6-10 are recoverable, I will be editing those as bonus content for the genuine reactions. We had done the same last January when we thought we lost four episodes of Battle Network, and labeled them "Part 0.1", "Part 0.2", etc.

Still psyched for the rest of this game! Got some neat stuff I might be able to announce over the next week that's related to the game as well, gotta send a few emails first.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh god programmer humor. An API is an Application Program Interface. It's basically a thing that tells programs how to convert one piece of information into another. You know how Copy/pasting text from one program to another works relatively consistently despite the fact different people made it? That's because an API is responsible for it.
Nowadays we have an API for specific programs, like a Google Maps API (which lets you embed a Google Map into your site), Amazon API and so on.

So a Holo-Defense API is using using data from old bosses and converts it into holo-defenses for our villains :v:

I can't decide if the people who made this are geniuses or dorks.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 1, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also: Coily Rattler is one of the bosses from Triple Deluxe, which is why it has a bunch of attacks where it goes into and out of the background.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Oh god programmer humor. An API is an Application Program Interface. It's basically a thing that tells programs how to convert one piece of information into another. You know how Copy/pasting text from one program to another works relatively consistently despite the fact different people made it? That's because an API is responsible for it.
Nowadays we have an API for specific programs, like a Google Maps API (which lets you embed a Google Map into your site), Amazon API and so on.

So a Holo-Defense API is using using data from old bosses and converts it into holo-defenses for our villains :v:

I can't decide if the people who made this are geniuses or dorks.

Amusingly enough, John and I are both web developers, so literally all we do all day is hook up our code to various APIs (ours and others'). Here's the big question about it being a "Holo Defense API" though... does that mean this alien race has been keeping tabs on Popstar for decades? Have they been watching Kirby this whole time? D:

Kurieg posted:

Also: Coily Rattler is one of the bosses from Triple Deluxe, which is why it has a bunch of attacks where it goes into and out of the background.

THAAAAAT makes sense. Triple Deluxe is the only other 3DS game, so it using the game's sense of depth totally works.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ricdesi posted:

Amusingly enough, John and I are both web developers, so literally all we do all day is hook up our code to various APIs (ours and others'). Here's the big question about it being a "Holo Defense API" though... does that mean this alien race has been keeping tabs on Popstar for decades? Have they been watching Kirby this whole time? D:

To be fair, not like it's hard. Kirby probably kicks up a huge fuss any time Dedede or a nightmare makes a mess.
Oh also the HDAPI seems to be using Crystal Shards' Pix as its core.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

No, but they have digitized/roboticised the entirety of pop star, so it's probably an api to the historical data of pop star itself to utilize past enemies for defense.

It's also a Kirby 64 reference since it's the second boss.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

No, but they have digitized/roboticised the entirety of pop star, so it's probably an api to the historical data of pop star itself to utilize past enemies for defense.

It's also a Kirby 64 reference since it's the second boss.

Ooh, and Paint Roller was the second boss of Kirby's Adventure, too. So basically, this guy is Paint Roller/Adeleine/Ado + Pix smooshed together, with the obligatory Ice Dragon (and to a lesser extent, Kracko) reconstructions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

THAAAAAT makes sense. Triple Deluxe is the only other 3DS game, so it using the game's sense of depth totally works.

It was funny when you said "I don't know what the name Triple Deluxe refers to", while it's the most obvious pun of 3D, and so the 3DS.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

This is true, haha. I was more trying to figure out if it had an in-game meaning that made sense, though I suppose it sits right along with Castlevania sort of embarrassingly-direct naming conventions for the handheld titles.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Just realized I never posted Friday's video here, sorry bout that guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zActjZa2MIM

Recording new stuff (possibly with Dustin!) later on today, should be a good week!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Started up a new week of videos, finally bringing Ben into the loop -- he'd actually been in a ton of videos so far, but they always wound up being ones we needed to re-record. He's even running the show for the first couple episodes, so let's kick it off with... Susie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFJ4aORqNM

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I appreciate this game's use of the 3D. It's really creative and feels way less gimmicky than I would have expected.
Kirby always had good bosses, they usually give you a clear idea of what you're supposed to do. It's weird how games nowadays seem to think this is beneath them.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

The 3D is really nicely handled here. I haven't played Triple Deluxe yet, so I can't really compare to the last outing, but they do a really nice job of keeping the two layers distinct but not entirely separate, and anytime the two layers interact, it feels meaningful and deliberate. Honestly, it reminds me a lot of Virtual Boy Wario Land, one of my all-time favorite games. And yes, the bosses are always a highlight of the franchise, they get to really bust loose with their creativity.

Ben's in charge for the whole episode today! It's a Christmas-in-July miracle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69WIq2xSpPQ

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The engine is basically unchanged from 3d, the polish was in gameplay and gimmick, because every Kirby game needs a gimmick now.

Also, poison has an up+b that probably would have murdered Suzie a lot sooner for you.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
It's Hulkbuster, not Hulk :colbert:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh my god, she's back. She's back, you guys. I love her and she's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIjEe8fKtc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The shield on mirror reflects projectiles, just like it did in superstar. The only difference is that it will reflect it into the fore/background if necessary. That's how you hit that bomb block. It's also murderous on bosses.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 7, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The engine is basically unchanged from 3d, the polish was in gameplay and gimmick, because every Kirby game needs a gimmick now.

Kirby games always had gimmicks. They are the testing ground for Hal's ideas. We actually have as many "standard" Kirby games in the series (Kirby Dreamland, 2, 3, Nightmare, 64, Squeak Squad, Superstar, Triple Deluxe, RtD. I don't count Amazing Mirror because that's Metroidvania Kirby) as off-beat ones (Air Ride, Block Ball, Avalanche, Golf, Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse, TnT, Epic Yarn)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

The shield on mirror reflects projectiles, just like it did in superstar. The only difference is that it will reflect it into the fore/background if necessary. That's how you hit that bomb block. It's also murderous on bosses.

Oh my god, so it's even more OP than we previously though, hell yeah Mirror! Definitely gonna have to give that move a spin.

SSNeoman posted:

Kirby games always had gimmicks. They are the testing ground for Hal's ideas. We actually have as many "standard" Kirby games in the series (Kirby Dreamland, 2, 3, Nightmare, 64, Squeak Squad, Superstar, Triple Deluxe, RtD. I don't count Amazing Mirror because that's Metroidvania Kirby) as off-beat ones (Air Ride, Block Ball, Avalanche, Golf, Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse, TnT, Epic Yarn)

That's something I always liked about the Kirby franchise. Other series feel like they're trying way too hard to shoehorn their mascots into stuff, but with Kirby it always felt like "hey, let's just try something out for the hell of it". And the end result is usually super charming.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Oh my god, so it's even more OP than we previously though, hell yeah Mirror! Definitely gonna have to give that move a spin.

Indeed, you'll notice that the mirror-spray(or whatever he "hold+B" move is) Shoots out less projectiles, that's a part of the whole "Bosses have less hit-invulnerability" thing, if it did the same amount of spam as it did in Superstar it would be overpowered.

HOWEVER this does not apply to the Up+B, Down+B, and Dash+B moves, as long as they're being covered by one of your clones they're taking damage, if you can hit them with 2 or 3 they'll take even more. And if they're just standing there spamming the mirror-cut (hit b and don't hold it) will eat through their hit points.

Mirror absolutely destroys the Arena, it's slightly less good at the True Arena just because the bosses in that one are more aggressive.

Also I will agree with your assessment that Leaf is pretty much useless in this game. I don't think you're ever required to use it for anything ever and it's not as good or useful as the other powers.

Another note: You can stock the Doctor charges by blocking, I think that becomes important later.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh neat, along the same idea as Jet, then? I will definitely have to keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And I dunno what you mean about politics being depressing! Okay lots of people got shot this week, but it's not all bad!
D&D can be happy too! Look at this happy thread for happy people: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767159&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=72

:smithicide:

In another thread for the UKpol people were melting down over Brexit and a dude with a Trump avi asked "have you folks considered moving to America?"

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

The world is a vampire D:

We should move to happier subjects. Yesterday, we launched a Gordo with elephantitis into a wall, and I think that's just proof that we're all gonna be okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TirchXBM8

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love how its expression doesn't change. It's like *launch* "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Is it even possible for a Gordo to not be cheery? I think the Needle miniboss from Dream Land 2 is the only one that emotes in any way.

Speaking of a lack of emotion, here comes our friendly neighborhood antihero... with a few upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o49PJKNvknE

• Locked thread