Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just want to say I forgot how absolutely lovely Ring's chip animations are jesus christ.

I like Ring. She doesn't appear anywhere else though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Battle Chip Challenge approaches some kind of lovely Zen. Once you figure out what the CPU is doing you just set up to counter it and watch them erupt into flames.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
It's weirdly mesmerizing, it's like some really bizarre ballet of annoyance and "oh, sure, yeah that worked, cool".

And I LOVE Ring, I was always sad Capcom didn't even attempt to bring her into another Battle Network game. I guess they were trying to scrub away Battle Chip Challenge as being non-canon, but they could have even just reintroduced her and Mary and it would have been totally acceptable.

I forget if I've mentioned why Battle Chip Challenge has been delayed a week or not, so just in case - if you watched Part 11, the last one we put online, literally immediately after we signed off for the episode, the RetroN froze and... sadly, because it prioritizes savestates over gamesaves, it erased all our progress from Parts 9-11. So the options available were to do an hour or so of "gameplay" again, or just catch back up off-camera then continue with Part 12 when it's ready (the one we opted for to spare people the agony of rewatching the same "gameplay" again).

I'm gonna try to get Part 12 up on Thursday, but at the worst, Parts 12-14 will all be up by the end of the weekend, then back to our Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun catch-up schedule. FWIW, based on the number of episodes we still "owe", we should be caught up right around the end of the year (and almost certainly well into Battle Network 4 by then). If it weren't for the Battle Network/Star Force series almost certainly outlasting the main Mega Man games, I wouldn't be stressing it, but we want to try to have everything move as one as best we can. Odds are, once we get back into the real Battle Network games, the episode lengths for those episodes will move up from ~30 minutes like we've been doing to ~40-45 minutes like we used to do with our weekend Zelda videos, for the sake of keeping things moving (and not having one game take up essentially an entire year).

Also, I hope everyone doesn't totally hate me for the way the next (already recorded) playthrough for Kirby goes, but that's a "later this/next week" problem.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ricdesi posted:

Also, I hope everyone doesn't totally hate me for the way the next (already recorded) playthrough for Kirby goes, but that's a "later this/next week" problem.

Hm... ... ... ... I wonder what this could possibly mean...

Glad Star Stacker's wrapping up. Your commentary has been excellent, but that music is starting to get to me.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hilariously, one of the music cues in the next Sonic video might make you run screaming back to Star Stacker for safety, ha. But yeah, this one's finally coming to a close. Much as I think this series has had some of our most manic, bizarre, and entertaining commentary, it'll be nice to hit the road and play real Kirby games from here on out. The only two "off" Kirby games left are Tilt 'n' Tumble and Air Ride, both of those should be pretty entertaining.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'm afraid our lovely (endless) trip through Kirby's Star Stacker must come to an end. All good things, as they say.

But it's been a great run, 34 insane episodes, full of (frankly) some of the best material I think we've ever had. I hope you've all enjoyed it as much as we have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgY6dVQtK-c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDied9rC638 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEGuEBKveg

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It was sad to see that one episode where you were stuck on level 47 for the whole thing. But I'm glad you conquered it! Let's put the puzzles behind us for... I dunno, 24 hours? Dream Land 3 has some obtuse stuff, too, hopefully you remember how to do all of it when you get to that part.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

:gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggO4MV8ZjI

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Aw, it's cute!

Maybe I'll get a file of this, some puzzle action might be good for me even if I just saw pretty much all of it here. Though I assume this gonna be, what, like three episodes at the most if that's the entire story?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't Dream Land 3 technically come out before this or are you just getting it out of the way now because it's short? Also, you probably answered this earlier in the thread but why did you guys decide to tackle Planet Robobot early rather than doing it twords the end like it would normally be?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 22, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So, my rationale for the placement of Kirby's Super Star had more to do with the combination of American and Japanese release dates than anything else:

- Star Stacker came out in Japan in June 1997, and the US in July 1997.
- Super Star Stacker came out in Japan in February 1998, and not in the US.
- Dream Land 3 came out in Japan in March 1998, and the US in November 1997.

Basically, if a game didn't come out in the States, I default to the Japanese release date and approximate as best I can. So while yes, Kirby's Dream Land 3 came out in the US before Kirby's Super Star Stacker came out in Japan, the Japanese game order made the most logical sense (to me, anyway).

As far as Planet Robobot goes, we wanted to jump on it because it was brand new, though we did leave a few of the harder game modes for when we get to the end! Team Kirby Clash, Meta Knightmare Returns, and the True Arena'll all get tackled when we get back there.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Getting the cobwebs from the weekend off, let's keep on pushin'. This game is WAY shorter than I thought it would be, feels pretty tacked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw8g0vDcRAE

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

And with this... the saga of Kirby's Star Stacker and Super Star Stacker comes to a close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSg1Awmc2SE

Next time, some real, honest to god Kirby action.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Congrats! With that optional boss there, it seemed like the game expected you to clear it in one try because it probably assumed, due to the trick you were using, that you beat every other fight in one try. That's just my guess, but it wouldn't be worth it to really give that the ol' go though. Maybe on the Hard Mode re-run of the games, but other than that, eh!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The way it was explained to me was that "ore sama" is roughly the equivalent of someone referring to themselves as "My most magnificent/resplendent self" in english.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It's been... how many months since our last platforming Kirby game? We're distressingly overdue for some adorable adventures, let's get on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaAB8wusiRU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDp6LYsdog

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hooray! I believe that little girl is a reference to Shin Onagashima, which unsurprisingly didn't come out here in the states.. There's a lot of other references for Heart-Stars in the later levels. As a matter of fact, I think that girl ended up being a later costume in Super Mario Maker.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

She reminds me a lot of the hopping girl enemy from Super Mario Land too, if I'm honest. Never really understood that enemy...

Anyway, we're keeping on keeping on with a pair of boss fights in these two episodes, and god drat do I love what they've done with Whispy Woods in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjKUAaaL1w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7GDxtJGhhQ

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

She reminds me a lot of the hopping girl enemy from Super Mario Land too, if I'm honest. Never really understood that enemy...

Hopping girl? The hopping enemy in Super Mario Land is a Jiangshi, a chinese vampire.

And of course they hop. Their body is stiff from being dead all that time, why would you think a being like that could walk? And if you stomp on them they just come back alive after a few seconds.

Nintendo's official artwork:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 1, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
As a random note: the spiders in this game, specifically the black spheres with legs, are the only enemies throughout the Kirby franchise (to my knowledge) that actually harm Kirby if he inhales them. I have no idea why only that specific enemy defeats Kirby's mighty gastrointestinal tract when, say, inhaling something made entirely of poison doesn't, but here we are.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hopping girl? The hopping enemy in Super Mario Land is a Jiangshi, a chinese vampire.

And of course they hop. Their body is stiff from being dead all that time, why would you think a being like that could walk? And if you stomp on them they just come back alive after a few seconds.

Nintendo's official artwork:

THIS MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE, OH MY GOD. Honestly, I've thought it was just some creepy hopping Chinese girl for DECADES.

FredMSloniker posted:

As a random note: the spiders in this game, specifically the black spheres with legs, are the only enemies throughout the Kirby franchise (to my knowledge) that actually harm Kirby if he inhales them. I have no idea why only that specific enemy defeats Kirby's mighty gastrointestinal tract when, say, inhaling something made entirely of poison doesn't, but here we are.

Oh weird, I never really thought about that... that's super creepy, maybe it's just too many legs. D:

Anyhow, let's get more intimate with our an(im)al companions ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjgYtHBgG58

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

THIS MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE, OH MY GOD. Honestly, I've thought it was just some creepy hopping Chinese girl for DECADES.

You might be more familiar with this hopping vampire.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Another random note: the sublevels in Dreamland 3 form a repeating pattern when it comes to Heart Stars. X-1 levels deal with flowers in some way (not crushing them, watering them, and crushing them are what we've seen so far). X-2 levels require you to use a specific power somewhere in the stage; so far we've used Chuchu's normal attack to tickle a weird spring thing and Kine with Parasol to cheer up an egg. X-3 levels have a memory/focus game partway through the stage (so far we've seen matching Gordos and a shell game with eels). X-4 levels involve finding something hidden in the level and bringing it to the end; we've rescued a little girl's monkey and a big frog's little frog so far. X-5 levels task you with bringing a specific animal companion to the end of the level (one of the animals winds up forever alone, but so far we've hooked up Kine and Pitch). Finally, X-6 levels are puzzles; 1-6 involved collecting geometric shapes, while 2-6 involved breaking blocks to form a shape, but they're not all about geometry.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ricdesi posted:

Hard to blame you for not noticing, it really doesn't come through very well on the sprite. The hat looks more like a rice paddy hat, and the clothes look more like a tight ninja outfit than flowing Qing dynasty robes.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It doesn't help that it was always such a colossal pain in the rear end to kill. It always seemed like its jump arc was specifically designed to throw you completely off.

Anyhow, let's see if John and Ben can make some progress in Sand Canyon today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtRKX8ZaIMw

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What a coincidence, that blue-haired guy in the Sand Canyon level is also from Shin Onagashima.

Also, I love that one of the levels had the Gourmet Race music. This was the first mainline game they made after Super Star, and even a few short years afterwards they still somehow knew that that song would have been so legendary. Speaking of good music, I believe it's the final level of Sand Canyon that has one of my favorite songs in the series, and it actually got remixed for one of the lab levels in Planet Robobot; first time it ever got any love. I can't wait for you guys to get there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ghost is an unlockable ability in Squeak Squad, but not a very good one, especially for how much you have to do to get it. It lets you possess enemies, but enemies generally only have one or two things they can even do, and in the base form Kirby can't even get past some obstacles (like climbing a ladder) that regular Kirby can.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not sure where else to post this but your latest Battle chip Challenge video glitches right the gently caress out at around 4:44. It gets better but the audio is desynced afterwards.

FredMSloniker posted:

Ghost is an unlockable ability in Squeak Squad, but not a very good one, especially for how much you have to do to get it. It lets you possess enemies, but enemies generally only have one or two things they can even do, and in the base form Kirby can't even get past some obstacles (like climbing a ladder) that regular Kirby can.

Yeah, Ghost in Squeak Squad is basically worthless, particularly when compared to some of the better ability scrolls.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Fuckity ding dong. I KNEW it. Premiere lied to me. Gonna have to re-export that after I tweak it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Working on re-editing the corrupt video, but for now I have to appreciate the almost prescient mention of Sonic OC characters we bring up here, considering it also made a prominent showing in our 2000-subscriber special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokHiFxWpE8

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Finally finished up the next Sonic intro, so I've got a minute to breathe and share today's two episodes with you fine folks. Didn't get an episode done for Friday, so today was a two-fer to make up for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB_gqswXsU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCheUp-1ws

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They're covered in soot. You dust them with Rick/Clean or Coo/Clean

:negative:

Also: the latest BCC video has another Vegas freakout, but it's at the same time as Ben's sighing aggressively so it seems like the game's losing it's poo poo cause Ben's screaming in the background.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

There's that Sand Canyon final level music. I dunno, I like that the level gives you all the tools you need right there and asks you to solve puzzles with them. It's better than certain other games coughcoughcrystalcoughshardscough. Also appreciate the shout-out as the one fan of Kirby's Block Ball out there; I'm actually in the midst of doing my own Let's Play of the game, so maybe I can share exactly why I love it so much in a better context.

As for the next episode, yeah Cloudy Park is when things start getting a bit harder to figure out through your brain, and I've definitely forgotten a lot of them myself. Hopefully you're not stumbling around too much.

And that fake Kirby is hilarious, it's like a "vision of what's to come" sort of deal. And that vision is usually death.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Kurieg posted:

They're covered in soot. You dust them with Rick/Clean or Coo/Clean

:negative:

Yep :[ I don't remember if I actually said it out loud but the dark gray made me assume Clean was the solution from the outset. The problem came in from overthinking it. We had already had to use Clean for another "clean up the soot" puzzle, and we had already had to use Clean again (specifically with Pitch) for another flower puzzle earlier in the game, so I had mistakenly assumed that they couldn't possibly have tripled down on Clean again for this one. I was mistaken (though, for what it's worth, I still think the main flower looks like a colored-pencil Fire Flower).

Kurieg posted:

Also: the latest BCC video has another Vegas freakout, but it's at the same time as Ben's sighing aggressively so it seems like the game's losing it's poo poo cause Ben's screaming in the background.

It sure did :\ It hasn't happened lately, but for some reason the Battle Network games have always had a weird problem with doing that from time to time (my current theory is that the games are just really intensive on the GBA video display, in a way that the RetroN isn't quite equipped to deal with, since I've never seen this kind of glitching on any of the actual, physical carts). Normally I'm able to fix this by sending the video files through Adobe Media Encoder once (so that the previews and the video files are actually displaying the same thing -- when they glitch out, the processed preview and the live frame occasionally disagree and I have trouble pinning down the problem frames), then I can edit as normal. But for some reason, this time around it just refused to behave. The video seemed to be able to cooperate once the artifact hell vanished, but for one reason or another, the audio just would not re-sync for the life of me.

If it happens again, I'll be devoting a bit more time to nailing down a cleaner solution that isn't as jarring.

Alxprit posted:

There's that Sand Canyon final level music. I dunno, I like that the level gives you all the tools you need right there and asks you to solve puzzles with them. It's better than certain other games coughcoughcrystalcoughshardscough.

UGH, YES. Crystal Shards is a loving pain about making you leave levels and come back with the right powers for what you need. Dream Land 2 was guilty of that too, but not all that often.

Alxprit posted:

Also appreciate the shout-out as the one fan of Kirby's Block Ball out there; I'm actually in the midst of doing my own Let's Play of the game, so maybe I can share exactly why I love it so much in a better context.

No problem! I feel pretty lame about how we left that game, I feel like we rushed the poo poo out of it, and I wasn't really satisfied with the videos we produced for it. When we do our "Hard Mode Tour", we'll definitely give it some more love.

Alxprit posted:

As for the next episode, yeah Cloudy Park is when things start getting a bit harder to figure out through your brain, and I've definitely forgotten a lot of them myself. Hopefully you're not stumbling around too much.

And that fake Kirby is hilarious, it's like a "vision of what's to come" sort of deal. And that vision is usually death.

Love me some Fake Kirbies. It was neat to see him return from Dream Land 1, I completely forgot he was in this.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ricdesi posted:

Love me some Fake Kirbies. It was neat to see him return from Dream Land 1, I completely forgot he was in this.

According to the Kirby wiki (because of course there is), those are Batamon (no relation), and only appear in Dream Land 3. I'm not sure what you're thinking of from that game, unless it's the Kirby species.

Also, did you know there was a Dream Land 3 manga? Because I didn't.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

According to the Kirby wiki (because of course there is), those are Batamon (no relation), and only appear in Dream Land 3. I'm not sure what you're thinking of from that game, unless it's the Kirby species.

Also, did you know there was a Dream Land 3 manga? Because I didn't.

You have to touch the fake Kirbies in the final level of the first game to destroy the Gordos protecting the doors to the boss rematches.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

You have to touch the fake Kirbies in the final level of the first game to destroy the Gordos protecting the doors to the boss rematches.

Yeah, those guys! The little dancing weirdo clones. ...who, come to think of it, are never really properly addressed. What the gently caress were those?

Anyway, let's get some Cloudy Park on, y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFmtAXlSA8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_s1D-Y9Emc

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bit of a delay on today's videos (my laptop's remote control is turned off, whoops), but here we are rocking out yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntHlvOOUT0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Had a remote access issue yesterday, so I got a bit delayed on putting this up, but here's the last video of the week, getting us to the end of Cloudy Park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KdlaojNq6s

• Locked thread