Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Mega Man and Sonic may be experiencing some scheduling setbacks, but that doesn't mean we can't regale in more stories of John's intense melissophobia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AneJG99Z7fc

Regarding your Mega Let's Play, I have two pieces of advice to make the WonderSwan Megaman & Bass easier on yourselves (for Megaman at least, Bass gets better weapons and his double jump comes in handy, but it takes a lot more work to make him useful. But I'm assuming you guys are only doing one playthrough):

1. Grind up at least 300 bolts so you can buy the Super Armor from the shop (the item that looks like this: "( )") which cuts the damage you take in half (there's another item that does the same for special weapon usage which is also useful).

2. Beat Aircon Man (the boss right above Komuso Man on the Stage Select) as early as possible as literally every single boss in the game is weak to his weapon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Hadn't put much thought into it, but if the game ends up being pretty short (and judging by what we've recorded so far, it's looking that way) we may consider doing Bass's storyline too.

Doing this as soon as possible. More armor would be a serious help (even though most stuff seems to barely hurt Mega Man).

Currently in Aircon Man's stage, christ almighty this level is exhausting and brutal.

Happy to report Star Stacker is moving along nicely -- we're starting to approach the end, and we even have a long-missed friend rejoining us for the final episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-pM05GRTMc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8SR0VBOto

The game is only 8 stages long (and that's counting the intro and final levels) but yeah, Megaman seems a bit more durable than Bass in general. Aircon Man's level is probably the worst one in the game but the reward is worth it. If you do end up doing Bass' story I'd also recommend getting the items that power up his shots and give him the ability to shoot through walls (unfortunatly though they both cost 300 bolts a piece).

Overall while it does get far more manageable once you get a few weapons and powerups under your belt this is not a particularly well designed game (the items are all stupidly expensive, the level design isn't great, weapon energy is only refilled on a Game Over rather than between stages like every other game, and there is some absolutely dickish enemy placement at times plus the fact that a lot of said enemies hit pretty hard without the armor upgrade).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 14, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Oh god. We finished the game last night and christ, there are some absolutely monstrous enemy placements. Was that game even QA tested at all? gently caress me.

Annnnnnnd here's another pair of Star Stacker videos as we inch closer to the finale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1HXyQAwvg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rkiDECPr-U

So out of curiousity, do you guys basically go into a lot of the games you do blind (which seems to be the case during a lot of your Megaman playthroughs at least) or does it vary?

Also, since you did Mighty No. 9 a little while back are you planning on tackling other Megaman-like games such as Shovel Knight and/or the Azure Striker Gunvolt series at some point (Inafune did have some involvement in the development of the latter at least)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 18, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't Dream Land 3 technically come out before this or are you just getting it out of the way now because it's short? Also, you probably answered this earlier in the thread but why did you guys decide to tackle Planet Robobot early rather than doing it twords the end like it would normally be?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 22, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I just realized that the boss of Rock Star encapsulates a lot of the criticisms we're talking about. Almost 75% of the fight is just WAITING. There are phase transitions in modern Kirby games but those don't really serve as an obstacle like the beginning of that fight does.

And yet, in the same episode I was impressed by the shading when Kirby was under the diamond ship.

Yeah, this particular boss (who I think is named Pix or something like that), is probably one of the worst in the game (if not the series as a whole) if only for that reason (it's a lot more fun to fight in Planet Robobot though as there it basically functions as a mechanical version of Ado/Adeline). Also, why did they decide to put a time limit on Kirby's flight in this game but not any of the others?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Impressive, you guys had an easier time with the collection aspect of this game than I thought you would.

Since they ditched the multiple ending aspect the only other games where you have to go out of your way for collectibles are Squeak Squad and Mass Attack (where eventually you'll reach a point where you literally cannot progress any further in the game without them) also the 3DS games to a lesser extent where you need to collect a set number of items in each world in order to unlock the boss of that area. In every other Kirby game besides those the collectibles are completely optional aside from unlocking bonus content.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Maybe, but I'm convinced the D-Pad is cool enough to 100% the games anyway.

I forget, did you guys end up getting all the Code Cubes when you played Robobot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

I believe we did, though I think we did our usual "bad ending first, then good ending" thinger there too.

And as for the next game in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OLU6CB3seg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G129WKiUwsc

This is gonna get interesting.

Probably not as aside from the Meta Knight campaign Planet Robobot only has one ending. The code cubes just unlock the boss of each area plus an extra stage or two if you get all of them in a world (same goes for the Sun Stones in Triple Deluxe). Also good luck with Tilt 'N Tumble as this game can be annoying enough to get through just playing it straight.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread