Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Regarding your most recent episode which I guess you haven't technically posted yet.
you can go into the boss rooms after beating them to play a mini game. Getting a perfect score in the mini game gives you a percentage point.
You also get a percentage point from finding the pink blob in a sack instead of gooey and grabbing it.

Once you hit 100 the boss rush shows up in the options menu

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

New episode and a new game Monday! John already hates me for this one.

(Checks)
Oh god I forgot that game existed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Megaman and Bass convinced me I was bad at Megaman until I tried Megaman 2. Then the skills I got from Megaman and Bass made me utterly demolish that game, though admittedly MM2 ain't that hard. I will probably never beat MM&B without save states because -gently caress- that Tower 2 boss. DO YOU LIKE PLATFORMING AND BOSS FIGHTS!? DO YOU FUCKER!? DO YOU!?

That wasn't the game I was talking about.

There's a kirby game inbetween Dreamland 2 and Superstar.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Only four more days, then I've got a large package of amiibos and a smaller package of "game" arriving at my doorstep.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

For as maligned as the gameplay is in block-ball, it does have a pretty good soundtrack.

Also: How many episodes does it take you guys to realize that you're supposed to beat the border line score?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 9, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Watching you guys fail bonus chances because you're bouncing around as a giant kirby instead of using your powers is causing me physical pain.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh trust me it's an absolutely amazing game, that references games from earlier in the series that I guess we technically haven't seen yet as far as this Lets play is concerned. Like Spark is basically super-plasma at this point, and Mirror shows up despite only having been in the Superstar game (and utterly destroying bosses).

There are also a ton of musical cues stolen from Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, and Triple Deluxe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Robobot is really just the distilation and evolution of Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe. Each had their own gimmicks and ways they interacted with puzzle solving. RTD had the Super abilities which were basically repeated scripted cutscenes that did a thing and usually killed the entire screen's worth of enemies. But they were varied and interacted with the puzzles in a unique way. Triple Deluxe had Hypernova, which was.. not as good. A level with Hypernova in it boiled down to holding down the B button repeatedly until the puzzle was solved and the level was over. But the Robobot is a gimmick that builds on your existing powerset, rather than taking anything away. There are only a few powers in the game that the Robobot can't copy, and outside of a few puzzle sequences it really is up to you which power you want to use to fit your playstyle. It's also used more often because it isn't just an I Win button, it's a force multiplier, and there are things that it can't do therefore allowing for some interesting puzzle solving. Triple Deluxe was okay but I'd say that Robobot is probably a better Kirby game, and it's arguably better(if shorter) than Return to Dreamland.

Just please for the love of god no one spoil the final boss for them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well I think skipping ahead might have been a little premature because most of it's references are to Superstar, but it sounds like you're going in blind so eh.

As far as the ending... it's... it's a Thing. Even by HAL's standards it's pretty loving out there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well since you didn't play 3d I should point out that getting all the code cubes in an area unlocks an extra level. And getting all the code cubes in the game(including the ones in the Extra levels) unlocks a final extra level focused entirely around the Robobot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unless you have any specific code cube questions, one thing I will mention is that if you're solving a puzzle where you have to rotate a cylinder with spark wiring on it, once you've solved it's puzzle just keep rotating it in one direction until it stops. That was a puzzle that stumped me for a very long time and is pretty unintuitive unless you're playing in 3d (Which you aren't if you're capturing).

Also: if you go into the Sticker menu while on the world map you can put stickers (one on each arm) on the Robobot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure Fighter, Smash, Ninja, And Sword are pretty high up there in number of moves. Same with spark because "Charge a little" "Charge some" "Charge a bunch" and "Charge to max" are different moves.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure if you guys realize this later, but you always seem nervous about going through doors/using stars for fear of missing something. If the star above the door/in the 3d star is Orange, it's 2 way, meaning you can/will come back. If it's yellow it's one way.

Also I'd suggest checking the power pages for everything even if you think you remember them from Superstar. Mirror, Crash, and Mic all have new additions, and mirror's in particular are particularly strong because this game has reduced the enemy damage immunity interval to almost zero in order to accommodate Poison.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You might be okay for the Sonic Lets Play but there was a rules update recently that would cause issues with dumping the entirety of your Megaman backlog.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763182#post461217520

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'd probably stick with #1, and maybe ask in the sandcastle too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The fact that the game was designed for 4:3 TVs and they introduced some really lovely scrolling to compensate on the GBA didn't do them any favors either. There were all sorts of times that they died to some bullshit that was perfectly visible on the SNES version.

And the trick with the thunderbolt power isn't that you're invulnerable, it actually removes your hit detection box somehow, the Megaman TAS of the SNES version involves them glitching their way into a wall with Thunderbolt and then teleporting 30 screens to the right with regularity.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 30, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm somewhat disappointed we missed out on your genuine reactions to the Jet and Wheel Bots. Thankfully there are still a few dozen more surprises for you.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 1, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also: Coily Rattler is one of the bosses from Triple Deluxe, which is why it has a bunch of attacks where it goes into and out of the background.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Amusingly enough, John and I are both web developers, so literally all we do all day is hook up our code to various APIs (ours and others'). Here's the big question about it being a "Holo Defense API" though... does that mean this alien race has been keeping tabs on Popstar for decades? Have they been watching Kirby this whole time? D:

No, but they have digitized/roboticised the entirety of pop star, so it's probably an api to the historical data of pop star itself to utilize past enemies for defense.

It's also a Kirby 64 reference since it's the second boss.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The engine is basically unchanged from 3d, the polish was in gameplay and gimmick, because every Kirby game needs a gimmick now.

Also, poison has an up+b that probably would have murdered Suzie a lot sooner for you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The shield on mirror reflects projectiles, just like it did in superstar. The only difference is that it will reflect it into the fore/background if necessary. That's how you hit that bomb block. It's also murderous on bosses.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 7, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Oh my god, so it's even more OP than we previously though, hell yeah Mirror! Definitely gonna have to give that move a spin.

Indeed, you'll notice that the mirror-spray(or whatever he "hold+B" move is) Shoots out less projectiles, that's a part of the whole "Bosses have less hit-invulnerability" thing, if it did the same amount of spam as it did in Superstar it would be overpowered.

HOWEVER this does not apply to the Up+B, Down+B, and Dash+B moves, as long as they're being covered by one of your clones they're taking damage, if you can hit them with 2 or 3 they'll take even more. And if they're just standing there spamming the mirror-cut (hit b and don't hold it) will eat through their hit points.

Mirror absolutely destroys the Arena, it's slightly less good at the True Arena just because the bosses in that one are more aggressive.

Also I will agree with your assessment that Leaf is pretty much useless in this game. I don't think you're ever required to use it for anything ever and it's not as good or useful as the other powers.

Another note: You can stock the Doctor charges by blocking, I think that becomes important later.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So I was watching your first run of episode six. They did make an nfc reader that's compatible with old 3DSes if you want to mess around with the other amiibo powers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-nfc-reader-writer-for-nintendo-3ds-multi/4288800.p?id=1219740801809&skuId=4288800

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Very happy about that! I was worried it was gonna be pretty short, judging by the size of the world map. Sounds like the main game has 7 worlds, definitely cool with that.

Well, I mean, the first letter of the current six worlds spell out PROGRA, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but remember how long world 8 of Adventure was.

It's also super obvious what's going on if you're keeping up to date on code cubes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

At least it's something cute and fun as opposed to say, Dead Space.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

That boss skip had me in stitches.

And man that new stage looks trippy as hell.

Just you wait. This is only the beginning.
:unsmigghh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm so glad I was able to help keep that unspoiled for you guys :allears:

Also whatever stickers you have on the Robobot show up on the Kirbird's wings

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've only played a few Kirby games (Nightmare in Dream Land, Squeak Squad, Triple Deluxe, Robobot), but Tenga Toppa Kirby Lagann was easily the best thing I've ever seen in one of these games. :allears:

I was seriously expecting Sorairo Days to start playing when I got to this point.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The final two EX levels are more or less before the final level, and getting all their code cubes unlock the power museum.
Getting 100%, which involves beating everything, including Metaknightmare mode unlocks a very very japanese cutscene.

As far as the HAL room, there are three of them

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Return to Dreamland probably will, it definitely will if you guys go all in on the multiplayer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Landia's from Return to Dreamland, not 3d. The final boss from 3d shows up in the True Arena.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

are you doing the SNES version and the DS remake as separate games?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah Super Star. Is that... not the next game after block ball?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The "Mario 2 snake" looking enemy is Elieel, he showed up in one level of Dreamland 2, a Dreamland 3 minigame, and this game. And literally nowhere else.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It sounds like you've got some audio desync happening or the game is just really out of sync with it's own animations.

Also there were a lot of games including, apparently, chrono trigger DLC, though I have no idea how you were to actually implement it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you're wanting to post updates at work there is a Something Awful app for IOS/Android. It's called Awful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Surprisingly, it's actually quite addictive! It's a shame no other game used that technology.

Sort of?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I forgot about the Warioware game, "Yoshi's Universal Gravitation" Just stuck with me because it's an amazing name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It looks like they might use different accelerometers but they definitely use different programming, since the Kirby game doesn't account for an inverted cartridge position, but the other two do (Yoshi through a menu, Wario automatically)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Man I'm not even sure what's coming up next. I hope it's Dream Land 3, but I don't know where some of the other side-games fall in the spectrum.

Prepare for disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Something I'm strongly considering as the series moves forward (especially when it comes time for the "Hard Mode Tour") is an examination of the powers throughout the franchise. I actually quite enjoy Ninja, but I admit that it's just technical enough that it needs more love than just Super Star. Somehow, KSS feels just a little too "small" to really get the most out of it. I've only played a teeny bit of Squeak Squad, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing its evolution!
Before Robobot came out I would have said that Squeak Squad was the best of the 2d Kirby's. Take that as you will.

• Locked thread