Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SSNeoman posted:

I can see why HAL isn't big on remaking this one. It seems like this is a game where if you start losing you sort of keep losing.

I dunno if they can. This is a reskin of Puyo Puyo, and I'm pretty sure SEGA owns that IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Qbby is from BoxBoy!, a puzzle platformer made by HAL. It also had a sequel, BoxBoxBoy!.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I guess Coily Rattler takes too many resources to use it as part of the stage.

Actually, Coily Rattler has a grab attack, and programming in a specific interaction with the Robobot Armor for what would be intended to be a very short fight probably wasn't something HAL wanted to bother with.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In the main Kirby games since Returns to Dreamland, Kirby has built in damage scaling, meaning that he takes less damage the lower his HP gets, which is why you kept surviving all those hits you thought would kill you. The odds in the more recent Kirby games are really stacked in the player's favor.

Spitting out stars does kill bosses faster in the Dark Matter trilogy, mainly because the powers in those games were more meant for puzzle solving than actual combat. But in the more recent games, that's no longer the case. While star bullets do deal a good chunk of damage (In PR, they deal 50 damage if you're standing still, and 57 when you dash when spitting one out), you have to wait around for stars to even appear. But powers tend to deal less damage overall, but can be used to attack the boss anytime. Though the fights are definitely designed around Kirby having no powers when coming into the fight. It's best seen with Holo Defense API, which becomes an entirely different fight when you can't just skip the attack patterns through bursting down their HP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The final boss was just amazing. Really strong finish to a great game.

Also you can barrel roll, just like in Star Fox.

• Locked thread