Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i haven't evolved as a person since high school; i'm literally a waste of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
i read Atlas Shrugged when i was 17, it hosed me up for years

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

So you were an edgy, electric hippy? My contrived hippitude took the role of a mellow, back-to-the-earth hippie, for the most part.

I basically started a little hallucinogenic cult of kids who bought into what I was saying and felt really dumb once I snapped out of it in 11th grade and realized that acid, shrooms, k and dmt weren't going to unlock some magical door in our consciousness

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apathy and "lol nothing matters" hosed up my personality for years.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Aesop Poprock posted:

I basically started a little hallucinogenic cult of kids who bought into what I was saying and felt really dumb once I snapped out of it in 11th grade and realized that acid, shrooms, k and dmt weren't going to unlock some magical door in our consciousness

The most impressionable demographic: teenagers on hallucinogens. At least you didn't take 'em all out to the desert on dune buggies to ride out the race war.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i read a bunch of fringe religious stuff (incl. modern prophet anton levay) and some buddhist books my dad kept but never really committed to any of it. so i guess it all contributed to my philosophy that i was very smart.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

The most impressionable demographic: teenagers on hallucinogens. At least you didn't take 'em all out to the desert on dune buggies to ride out the race war.

No but I did spend all the money I made one summer delivering cookies with my grandpa on a 200 hit vial of acid which is almost as bad

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Human, All Too Human: A Book For Free Spirits

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

addendum: i considered shoplifting a big thick book about christian gnostic texts from the library because i didn't want to spend my own 30 dollars. this is the part i feel bad about.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Existentialism.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
When I was a freshman I read "The Naked Ape", and "Alas Babylon". I was an atheist right winger for awhile. Now I'm an atheist who wanted Bernie in the White House.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I thought that Bush did 9/11 for a few months when I was 14.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Wow, I only dabbled in communism.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Does posting on a tribes forum count?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I used to care about things for real back as a teen and even get worked up about whatever. Now I so can't even begin to give fucks generally.

Can't remember any specific philosophy I had I was always kinda life happens

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i used to really despise pop music. now i just eat up whatever poo poo is on my proverbial or literal plate.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing because I ain't flip flopper. I stick to my guns like a real American man.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I was never bright or deep enough to really think about philosophy, still true today :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

dstyle posted:

i read Atlas Shrugged when i was 17, it hosed me up for years

See I looked at the cover and back blurb on books like this and though ughghgh no

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Chinatown posted:

caring about politics/voting

lol. i was pretty stupid

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i never read atlas shrugged but did hear someone describe it and how important it was in painful detail on a roadtrip. i think that qualifies.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Am I really going to be the first one to admit to The Fountainhead turning me into an intolerable objectivist prick in high school.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thinking that women should have equal rights

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
libertarianism.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Bench pressing would make your penis smaller

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

As a kid I was deeply interested in the occult, afterlife and spirit worlds after losing some family. My family went to a church with fairly liberal ideas and I kind of cherry picked a Christian mysticism mixed with ideas of fetishized tribalism I got from various medias.

After deciding to read The Bible, twice, I quickly struggled with belief in Christianity and the supernatural. I read a lot of texts that championed atheism and found it difficult to dispute.

Later at 15, I read some entry level "Eastern Spirituality" books, developed Hippie/Beatnick identity and read a bunch of pop-science books on Quentum physics. For a while I held a disgust for everything created after 1980, until I realized that electronic music, rap and other future stuff was actually more organic and fresh than people pretending to be Bob Dylan.

After about 17 I stopped "identity building" in a sense where I could firmly be like "this IS me" without feeling a bit sheepish which might be why I'm a bit all over the place.

I'm also like the OP where I was "into" drugs for like 9 years before I even tried them.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

crowoutofcontext posted:

After about 17 I stopped "identity building" in a sense where I could firmly be like "this IS me" without feeling a bit sheepish which might be why I'm a bit all over the place.

I would also say that around 16 or 17, I started to phase out of trying really radical shifts in identity and philosophy, in part because I was having a lot of my own new experiences and was less in need of adopting and accepting other people's experiences.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just remembered, when i was around 13/14, i was getting into Metallica and Iron Maiden and all the entry-level metal bands, and i developed incredible music elitism, to the point where if it was lighter than Van Halen, i wanted no part of it and would harshly dismiss anyone who had a different opinion than me. i lost a few friends that way.

now it's just whatever, listen to whatever the gently caress you want, it's your discretion. i've also taken to listening to whatever i feel like. other people don't matter.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Thankfully, at the age and mindset when I would have been most susceptible to Objectivism, I was also pretty religious, and finding out about Ayn Rand's vitriol toward Christianity cured me of any desire to read any of her work.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I was a "christian" until I stopped being forced to go to church at like 14, and then I was like "what the gently caress was I thinking?"

I was also a republican until...2009? 2012? In my defense, I was in the military, which was hard to do without being republican, but I was also a giant rear end in a top hat, so there's that.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I thought 9/11 was an inside jawb when I was 14. I still believe it was.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Communism followed quickly by objectivism.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh after playing Deus Ex the whole way through I thought Bush did 9/11 on orders from the Illuminati for two months.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh after playing Deus Ex the whole way through I thought Bush did 9/11 on orders from the Illuminati for two months.

Idiot! The Illuminati are nothing more than the pawns of MJ12!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Patriarchy, definitely

Applewhite posted:

Communism followed quickly by objectivism.
So I guess you're alt right now?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

symbolic posted:

just remembered, when i was around 13/14, i was getting into Metallica and Iron Maiden and all the entry-level metal bands, and i developed incredible music elitism, to the point where if it was lighter than Van Halen, i wanted no part of it and would harshly dismiss anyone who had a different opinion than me. i lost a few friends that way.

now it's just whatever, listen to whatever the gently caress you want, it's your discretion. i've also taken to listening to whatever i feel like. other people don't matter.

Iron Maiden is pretty good, though.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

symbolic posted:

people don't matter.

:yeah:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Iron Maiden is pretty good, though.
well, yes, of course, but they're still "entry-level"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chinatown posted:

caring about politics/voting

lol. i was pretty stupid

:same:

• Locked thread