Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Because something else will break straight after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've had to take it to the shop for troubleshooting on 3 separate occasions. I'm not blindly throwing parts at the car.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Slow as balls.

940 Turbos aren't that bad (and can be made legitimately quick for cheap) but good luck finding one in decent shape. The 960 has a lot of the downsides of contemporary German cars and few of the upsides - the newest ones you'll find are nearly 20 years old now and there aren't any performance upgrades available for them so unless you're into octogenarian cosplay or something there are probably better choices.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
V70R?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
These came in manual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He said no european cars.

Ziploc posted:

These came in manual.

Lol.

If reliability really is a concern you're probably going to have to steer clear of used turbo cars under 10K.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If there existed a reliable fun RWD/AWD manual transmission wagon under $10k we'd all be driving it.

I think the best you're going to be able to do is a Lexus IS or Infiniti G-series sedan. As far as wagons or hatches go with AWD or RWD you're basically down to the old IS300 wagon with a manual swap, or going back to a Subie.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If there existed a reliable fun RWD/AWD manual transmission wagon under $10k we'd all be driving it.

I think the best you're going to be able to do is a Lexus IS or Infiniti G-series sedan. As far as wagons or hatches go with AWD or RWD you're basically down to the old IS300 wagon with a manual swap, or going back to a Subie.

turbocharged/supercharged 4.0L swapped AMC Eagle SX/4.

With woodsides.

quote:

The AMC Eagle SX/4 cars captured both second and third place the 1981 Sno*Drift Production Class rally held on Michigan's snow-covered gravel surface roads in January.

They're basically Subaru wagons, except with reliability and jeep legos instead of subaru legos.

:ghost: ANGLE GEAR :ghost:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FWD.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

turbocharged/supercharged 4.0L swapped AMC Eagle SX/4.

With woodsides.

They're basically Subaru wagons, except with reliability and jeep legos instead of subaru legos.
That's pretty awesome, I didn't know they went that fast. Been obsessed with Eagles since I saw one when I was like 11 years old and thought they looked so rad :allears:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Nope, AWD!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not all were AWD, but AWD are the best.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

That's pretty awesome, I didn't know they went that fast. Been obsessed with Eagles since I saw one when I was like 11 years old and thought they looked so rad :allears:

They don't, but they sell for a lot less than his budget and a turbo/supercharger setup wouldn't even come close to finishing off the extra cash :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

They don't, but they sell for a lot less than his budget and a turbo/supercharger setup wouldn't even come close to finishing off the extra cash :v:
This plan may usurp my VW Pickup plan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Move to canada, M35 Stageas are legal now. Come in RWD and AWD with manuals and turbos and stuff.

There's a WC34 stagea just up the road from me with big meaty tires on it. Neat lookin cars.

They're also cheap as hell in japan

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/nissan/stagea/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We have a V70 XC. As Kastein said, Angle Gear and the Auto boxes are garbage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What the hell is angle gear? And i thought that XC was being a good car for you :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

What the hell is angle gear? And i thought that XC was being a good car for you :colbert:

Its been a great car, it drives well, but I've had to flush the transmission twice to keep it like that. My wife loves the car, but I'm not going to lie to people and say its all be trouble free.

The angle gear is basically a 90 degree offset gear that takes power from the passenger side CV shaft and sends it to the rear axle.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 19, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

kastein posted:

Some of them blow head gaskets
Some crack oil pickups
Some blow ringlands on the stock tune
Some scrub the rod bearings
Some have stupid filter screens in the banjo bolts for the turbo oil return so they plug up, scrub the turbo bearings, and 5-10k later after replacing the turbo the metal contamination in the oil has ruined the rod/main bearings
Some have catted uppipes that disintegrate and do something horrible to the turbo/engine

Which EJ25 are you asking about specifically? :v: my car had the HGs done 3 times by the PPO, then the PO had to do them and the headbolt holes stripped out, he scrapped the motor, I bought it motorless, put an EJ22 in, ran it out of oil and spun a rod bearing (not its fault), slammed an EJ251 in in a weekend only to find out it already had rod knock when I bought it.

gently caress

Whatever one this is http://m.redbook.com.au/cars/details/?R=415429

Back to OP
Did GM ever import the Commodore SS sportswagon because that car is awesome

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 19, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Did you guys get the newer shape of this? It is excluded under the transverse/euro/auto clauses but it goes very fast and I assume it shares some ford commonality...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

fickle poofterist posted:

Whatever one this is http://m.redbook.com.au/cars/details/?R=415429

Back to OP
Did GM ever import the Commodore SS sportswagon because that car is awesome

LOL noooooo

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

wallaka posted:

LOL noooooo

Because you dont like holdens?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Did you guys get the newer shape of this? It is excluded under the transverse/euro/auto clauses but it goes very fast and I assume it shares some ford commonality...

We got up through '07, and 6spd manuals too. They're a crazy good deal used compared to something like a v8 S4 Avant but still kind of scary maintenance wise...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Lincoln ls with the jag v8. Yes it's an auto but surprisingly non awful based on having had one as a rental for a week once upon a time.

Other option is S60R and live with the transverse engine.

E: but tbh I agree with the poster who said stick with the bmw. Or sell it as is and get another one. You have simply been unlucky with this particular car or its particular problem.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 19, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Because you dont like holdens?

No because GM would never import something so cool.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

S60R or V70R would be every bit as bad as the 330i from a reliability standpoint, maybe worse. Known issues include:

Angle Gear
Slave Cylinder
PCV System
Haldex AWD
4C Adjustable Shocks
Auto Trans (nonononono)
Many electrical things

Engines are pretty solid so long as you do the timing belt in time (interference).

Not really what he's looking for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wallaka posted:

No because GM would never import something so cool because nobody would buy it anyway. See: Chevy SS.

Fixed.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

S60R or V70R would be every bit as bad as the 330i from a reliability standpoint, maybe worse.

Not really what he's looking for.

As a V70 owner, I'd say you're right. I like my car but it's FWD and doesn't have all the problems of the R's, but 2/3 of the power as well.

Seriously, just get a 9-2x and call it a day.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Forget the SS bit, are you saying a holden sourced wagon was selling in the US and noone in AI has jizzed all over it yet?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Saga posted:

Lincoln ls with the jag v8. Yes it's an auto but surprisingly non awful based on having had one as a rental for a week once upon a time.

I'd rather just go full (Ford) Jag and get a XJR.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/5567347521.html

Unf. Not bad for the mileage.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Forget the SS bit, are you saying a holden sourced wagon was selling in the US and noone in AI has jizzed all over it yet?

Nope, never sold here.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
No Holden sourced wagons in the USA :(

9-2x is out because of the EJ. Whenever I say I had a WRX, I had a 9-2x for 5 years. I loved that car very much except for the fact Toplitzin put gear oil in a non-sealed container in the back and didn't tell me. It was a great car but I was convinced the engine was going to pop, the AC quit working, I had to make it emissions complaint for North Carolina and I was short on cash, so got rid of it. There are also nearly 0 for sale right now.

There are locally both a 05-09 Outback and GS300 and 430 available, so I'm going to test drive them when the weather clears up and see if a local G35 pops up.

I have a buddy who is hugely knowledgeable about Speed6s, if one pops up I'll bring him along. I can always drive his, although it is modified.

I had a thought: what about an Infiniti M35/45?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Really almost any Infinity is going to be plenty reliable enough, you'd just have to drive a few and see how you like them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I think you will find that coming from a BMW you will almost certainly dislike any Infiniti that you come across. At least, I certainly disliked them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I feel like the 3.0R outbacks are probably a good option. They're not fast, but they're not slow either, they're reliable as hell and you can have some fun with them on gravel roads and the like which you probably wouldn't want to risk with the 330i. There's also the sedan option if the wagons don't float your boat, but they're harder to find. You could also get the legacy with the 3.0R but, like the outbacks, auto only unfortunately. I don't know how difficult a manual swap on the 3.0R is.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

MrChips posted:

I think you will find that coming from a BMW you will almost certainly dislike any Infiniti that you come across. At least, I certainly disliked them.

I have close friends with g35s and 350z's. The g35x auto with 237k kms lunched two transmissions (both covered by the extended warranty), is really cramped if you have a person in the back, has a dumb clock and the sound system is not ~luxury~. The 350z is a gutted 2800 lb racecar with 275 square NT01s. The car is stable at high speeds, extremely predictable in corners, and the stock engine is healthy and happy at 187k kms with three seasons of track only use. I cant fit in the car in a race bucket with sparco rails. A custom floormount is the only way to go if you're tall and want to track.

Neither car has needed engine maitenance other than plugs, oil and filters. Both have had abs modules replaced. The auto seems to be a 100k consumable and the 6-speed z car lost 5th and 6th at the end of last season. It got a new one from nissan (3k) while the old one has sat on top of my friends washer/dryer for 7 months. It is now rusty in addition to needing syncros, but the new one works great at least.

If you want something less German and you're not tall I think they're a solid choice.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

leica posted:

I'd rather just go full (Ford) Jag and get a XJR.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/5567347521.html

Unf. Not bad for the mileage.

I like the x350 cars but the xjr feels vast and even bigger than the ls. Also has a trunk the size of an rx8 thanks to that jag rear axle plus the aluminium chassis. Not sure it will suit op if he wants to go round corners. Chassis is good but you need an extra lane or two so you don't take out trees pedestrians houses etc.

I actually like the ford based v6 in those. Suits the car and the v8s seem to be geared higher so you don't really get a sense of lurid acceleration in the xjr.

Op, I think you really just need to replace the 330 with another 330 that isn't a problem child. I've had 2 e46s and an e30 and all have been less trouble than my japabese cars. And cheaper on parts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The man said no barges when we suggested Roadmasters earlier, don't salt the wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scuz posted:

The man said no barges when we suggested Roadmasters earlier, don't salt the wound.

This is pretty much why recommendation threads were banned, eventually the OP will be completely ignored and people will be posting pics of Miatas and Hayabusas.

• Locked thread