Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've been looking for a thread like this for a while. I don't travel that much, but I do have a few stories to share.

Oslo Airport (Gardemoen)

This small airport has a good atmosphere and I always look forward to a visit. The security staff are very polite, but also thorough and since most of my wardrobe and bags are military surplus they've never failed to pick me out of the line for a public pat-down at the security checkpoint. The locals generally just stare silently as I struggle to bend over and unlace my boots, which usually gets me going then and there. My experience is that you can go for a good 15 minutes before anyone says anything. The souvenir shop is quite expensive, but bringing home some of the delicious smoked salmon is well worth it. One time I managed to knock over a stand off troll figurines as I was looking through the cooler. I was surprised that the retail clerk simply watched me awkwardly while I tried rearranging them, and I could only cry a little bit before running for my plane.

Score: ✈✈✈✈

Dubrovnik Airport

Waited 5 hours at this airport for a flight back home after vacationing at Hvar Island. It was very warm and people kept holding seats for family members that were fetching drinks so I had to stand quite a bit, but my knees are pretty bad so halfway through I sat down on my backpack while messing around on the laptop until the batteries ran out. I could not find the correct converter for the power plug in any of the kiosks I went to so I ended up crying a bit while standing in line. The security control was a bit weird, as the staff looked a lot like police officers and they demanded that I actually start my laptop to prove that it was a real computer. Their English was very bad and so I started crying pretty hard as I tried explaining the situation. In the end they just sent my laptop through the scanner twice so I'm not sure what that was all about.

Score: ✈✈

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Minimalist Program posted:

Sounds like you had some decent cry'es at these airports.

Yeah, I don't like being hassled when I cry so Norway is the best. Croatia was not so good because things gets so sticky what with the heat and snot and all. Also people are rude and start hassling you when you cry there even though I definitely heard other people cry in the bathroom stalls and on the beach and stuff. That really carried over to the airport. Still, it's good to let it out.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

H.H posted:

i flew Aeroflot last august, it was surprisingly decent.

and sheremetevo airport in Moscow is also okay.

the worst airline the I ever used was the Turkish Pegasus, without a doubt. they had no air circulation in their airplane, a short connecting flight from Amsterdam to Istanbul was hell on earth.

What about the crying tho?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Minimalist Program posted:

Uh wow, this is awkard, because that man was actually me, crying at the Stockton Metropolitan;

That's a weird coincidence, because I was also at Stockton the 10. July 2014 and I heard you crying over my game of minesweeper. We could have exchanged notes, but I try not to talk to people. I had my mom take this commemorative photo from the visit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Uncle Salty posted:

I got fired last month and cried a little bit on the bus on the way home!!!

Did you work at the airport? If not I'm not sure if this is relevant for the Crying @ the airport MEGATHREAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He might live at the airport, or require an airport to get between work and home. We're open minded here.

I guess that is possible, I just don't want spillover from all the other crying threads in here. No offense meant.

• Locked thread