Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Depending on what you consider acceptable gaming resolutions, a handheld like Steam Deck may make more sense. You can build something like this if you need a little more horse power, but that’s more because you wanted to build something as it provides no practical improvements over a gaming laptops. https://youtu.be/ci07KITkhM0?si=JM0eqAB54miBZ28R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
new low-profile cooler by noctua

https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1782695218132730268

quote:

Noctua introduces NH-L12Sx77 low-profile CPU cooler

Vienna, April 23rd 2024 – Noctua today introduced its new NH-L12Sx77 low-profile CPU cooler for compact, powerful yet quiet Small Form Factor systems. The NH-L12Sx77 is a slightly taller variant of the award-winning NH-L12S, offering improved cooling performance as well as enhanced motherboard and RAM compatibility.

“Our NH-L12S is a popular choice for compact builds in cases like the Fractal Design Terra or Louqe RAW S1, but due to its height of only 70mm, RAM compatibility and clearance for tall motherboard components are limited. At the same time, many of these cases offer a bit of extra space”, explains Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). “This is where the new NH-L12Sx77 steps in: It makes use of that extra space in order to provide enhanced compatibility and even better cooling performance, which comes in handy when building powerful gaming or productivity setups.”

With 6 instead of 4 heatpipes, the NH-L12Sx77 offers significantly more headroom for higher heat-loads compared to the original NH-L12S. As such, it is ideal for getting the most out of today’s high-end CPUs in compact cases where their aggressive turbo boost modes are especially challenging to handle.

The NH-L12Sx77 not only improves performance but also motherboard and RAM compatibility versus the original NH-L12S: Due to the x77 version’s taller construction, clearance for RAM modules as well as motherboard heatsinks and shrouds could be increased significantly, which makes the cooler an easy fit in most configurations.

Like the regular NH-L12S, the NH-L12Sx77 has its fan preinstalled underneath the fin stack blowing upwards, which is ideal in compact cases that typically have a perforated panel right above the cooler as hot air can be exhausted directly instead of accumulating inside the case. At the same time, this setup avoids noises from influx turbulences that occur when fans are drawing in air through perforated panels.

At a height of 77mm (7mm taller than the original NH-L12S’ 70mm), the NH-L12Sx77 is a perfect fit for Fractal Design’s Terra (with the maximum space setting for the CPU cooler), SilverStone’s Milo ML12 or Louqe’s unique, award-winning RAW S1 chassis as well as many other cases that cannot fit the larger NH-C14S (115mm in low-profile mode) or NH-D9L (110mm).

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduces-nh-l12sx77-low-profile-cpu-cooler

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
That's pretty niche, isn't it? I'm sure we'll get cases that make use of it after a while but right now I can't think of any off-hand. Max CPU cooler height Terra?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it first reminded me of their ghost cooler that sounds like it was more or less specifically made for ghost s1 case

https://noctua.at/en/nh-l12-ghost-s1-edition

people would sometimes use it for other things

i wonder when it makes business sense for noctua to make super specific coolers like this, maybe it's just to keep other manufacturers from threatening noctua's incumbent position

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

That's pretty niche, isn't it? I'm sure we'll get cases that make use of it after a while but right now I can't think of any off-hand. Max CPU cooler height Terra?
"At a height of 77mm (7mm taller than the original NH-L12S’ 70mm), the NH-L12Sx77 is a perfect fit for Fractal Design’s Terra (with the maximum space setting for the CPU cooler), SilverStone’s Milo ML12 or Louqe’s unique, award-winning RAW S1 chassis as well as many other cases that cannot fit the larger NH-C14S (115mm in low-profile mode) or NH-D9L (110mm)."
:)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCPzmlNTWo

This case looks pretty nice, but it seems like they could have made it MicroATX compatible with almost no sacrifice.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

so, about that venus um790 pro with ryzen 7940hs...

will you actually be able to run over 3840x2160@30hz with that machine with linux? i know it's mainly a 1080p gaming kind of machine, but for watching media it would be neat if you could get a proper hz output over 4k, like 120Hz or something.

i'm asking because of the hdcp debacle with radeon and linux - even if the card should technically support it, i don't think it will on linux without having displayport connectors. just wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or has tested it out?

Tankakern posted:

to answer my own question, it might be possible if you use the usb4 connectors in front instead of the hdmi connectors. that makes it kinda ugly to have in your living room, but maybe that's a small price to pay...

(if anyone has gotten like 4k@120/144Hz working over hdmi with radeon on linux, please do tell)
i got everything set up, and yes: with e.g. this insanely expensive cable, 4k @ 120Hz works, also in linux. rejoice!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCPzmlNTWo

This case looks pretty nice, but it seems like they could have made it MicroATX compatible with almost no sacrifice.

Maybe it could've been mATX compatible in the front-mounted PSU configuration with just a little more height, but the GPU compatibility is pretty limiting in that mode. If you want to make it mATX compatible in the side-mounted PSU mode, it would have to be quite a bit deeper (front-to-back). At that point, you may as well just get an Asus AP201.

Still, looks like a solid budget ITX option. The fan options don't seem as good as the NR200P, but with midrange parts this doesn't seem to be a serious issue.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some really interesting things going on in this boutique case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CWqCRFroZ0

It's doing a lot of unique things. the crossflow fan seems to actually work incredibly well for CPU thermals, though the GPU thermals were not-so-good--normal GPUs might work better than FE cards. The thing I like most is the mechanical design though, the way everything slides and locks into place. If only it didn't cost $360.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anyone have any idea where I can get a case similar to the Inwin Chopin in the US? I bought a cheaper version, still from Inwin, a few years back but I forgot what the model was called. Also it looks like the Gamemax Violin is hard to get in the US right now. I have an extra itx board and processor around, but I don't want to spend a lot.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can get a case similar to the Inwin Chopin in the US? I bought a cheaper version, still from Inwin, a few years back but I forgot what the model was called. Also it looks like the Gamemax Violin is hard to get in the US right now. I have an extra itx board and processor around, but I don't want to spend a lot.

Goodisory A09 from amazon/ali and a cheap psu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

After a bit of searching I was able to find the model number. It’s an Inwin BQ656. I found one on eBay that even comes with an old Pentium board, for $35. Not too bad. Hopefully the PSU still works.