Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Granite Octopus posted:

Excellent timing, thread! I just picked up one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fanless-i5-Mini-PC-Windows-Barebone-PC-Broadwell-Intell-Core-i5-5200U-2-7GHz-4K-HTPC/32366202925.html after reading Jeff Atwoods article on "The Scooter Computer"

My plans are to put Fedora on it, plug in a big external disk and use it as my downloading/TV show storing box. I know I could get a NAS for not a great deal more, but I really don't need the redundancy and I like that this should have significantly more horsepower. I also don't need the speed and I have a bunch of external drives lying around so the storage part is practically free.

I'm also greatly excited by the fact that its fanless, and without the external drive there are no moving parts. Since it has Wifi I can also stick it pretty much anywhere and not have to see or hear it once its set up. That's the theory anyway.

Has anyone else tried these out?

I've got a coworker who's a really heavy smoker and suggested these for her when it comes time to replace her current machines (both are Vista-era Acer towers that every year or so need a new PSU due to the amount of crap that it sucks in.

Totally fanless + i5 & SSD makes it a perfect Facebook/light office machine that blows away anything you'd find at retail for a similar price.

Let me know how it goes for you, as far as hardware reliability is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Another thread pointed out that Cyrorig is getting into the business of making cases, and they are teasing some interesting looking mini-itx cases here. That taku looks cool and I may end up getting it, and if you wanted a trash can but didn't want to pay apple, nows your chance!

I'm really curious about the Ola's cooling characteristics. A design that uses convection like the Silverstone FT02, but in a more condensed system where air can't get trapped could make for some good thermals.

I also haven't seen SFF Forum mentioned yet. The custom cases & projects subforum has some really interesting designs you wouldn't normally see from the big manufacturers.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah that's fair and those look beautiful but I'm guessing that far exceeds his budget. I guess I'll suggest the alienware alpha to begin with and if anyone else has suggestions for someone who's scared to build their own, please help that dude out.

Why not part out a build using something like a Fractal Design Node 605 or some version of the Silverstone Grandias at NCIX and have them build it for him?

I'd recommend sticking to the mATX or ATX variations to increase compatibility with your standard ATX-sized components which are generally less expensive than those specifically designed for SFF.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Bass Bottles posted:

Lol woah thanks, didn't even know this thread existed. I was just expecting people to tell me I was stupid for looking at pre-builts.

That's a pretty cool service. $50 is ridiculously cheap. I was looking into something similar from Microcenter but that said it "started" at $120, from what I could tell.

Any suggestions for a good case that runs quiet and cool? I know that's a problem with these smaller ones, but I was looking at cube-shaped ones from cooler master that might be good?

My budget is flexible and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I'm not looking to spend thousands as this is mostly for indies/last-gen games and an alternative to the Xbox One for access to those "exclusives."

The two I linked have well-designed cooling, with the Node fitting a standard ATX motherboard while the Grandia a microATX (mATX). Not "SFF" by any means, but that gives you a bit more flexibility in choosing components and future upgrade paths. Since you mentioned in the parts thread that you want it to fit in a media center, I'd recommend these style of cases over cube ones, as they'll fit better into a shelf or cabinet.

If you pop back into the parts thread with one of these style of cases in mind they can set you up with a good build for your budget.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
It really comes down to component spacing. The Core 500 can fit coolers 170mm in height vs the Nano S' 160mm, but the Core 500 GPU length is 310mm vs 315 from the Nano S. Both can fit 280mm AIO radiators. I'd expect the temperatures for the Core 500 to be slightly better than the Nano S, but the Nano S does feature sound dampening like its bigger brothers.

Personally I like the Core 500 as being a true "shuttle" successor, while with the Nano S there's always smaller alternatives for that form factor, or just stick to mATX since it's just a bit bigger anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

well why not posted:

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

What immediately comes to mind is the Silverstone Sugo. There's a couple different variations (like one that has a faux-aluminium front instead of the weird-looking mesh one), but I think all of them lack full dust filtering (pretty inexcusable if you ask me) like the Core 500.