Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

so, about that venus um790 pro with ryzen 7940hs...

will you actually be able to run over 3840x2160@30hz with that machine with linux? i know it's mainly a 1080p gaming kind of machine, but for watching media it would be neat if you could get a proper hz output over 4k, like 120Hz or something.

i'm asking because of the hdcp debacle with radeon and linux - even if the card should technically support it, i don't think it will on linux without having displayport connectors. just wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or has tested it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

to answer my own question, it might be possible if you use the usb4 connectors in front instead of the hdmi connectors. that makes it kinda ugly to have in your living room, but maybe that's a small price to pay...

(if anyone has gotten like 4k@120/144Hz working over hdmi with radeon on linux, please do tell)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but i want 4k@120 or 144

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

so, about that venus um790 pro with ryzen 7940hs...

will you actually be able to run over 3840x2160@30hz with that machine with linux? i know it's mainly a 1080p gaming kind of machine, but for watching media it would be neat if you could get a proper hz output over 4k, like 120Hz or something.

i'm asking because of the hdcp debacle with radeon and linux - even if the card should technically support it, i don't think it will on linux without having displayport connectors. just wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or has tested it out?

Tankakern posted:

to answer my own question, it might be possible if you use the usb4 connectors in front instead of the hdmi connectors. that makes it kinda ugly to have in your living room, but maybe that's a small price to pay...

(if anyone has gotten like 4k@120/144Hz working over hdmi with radeon on linux, please do tell)
i got everything set up, and yes: with e.g. this insanely expensive cable, 4k @ 120Hz works, also in linux. rejoice!