Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
http://slickdeals.net/f/8897435-cyberpower-syber-vapor-xtreme-small-form-factor-gaming-pc-i7-6700-gtx-1070-8gb-1210-free-shipping

Ugly case notwithstanding, anyone have a perspective on this (perhaps with the usb 3.1 mobo and cooler upgrade)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

particle9 posted:

Typing from this monster. Took an hour and change to set up. I ended up putting the heatsink on last which was maybe possibly a mistake. The case is amazing once it's closed, building in such a tight space is definitely a challenge. There is zero cable management here. Management boiled down to "lets try and shove all of this far enough away from the heatsink that it doesn't bend forward". The thermals are good so far. After 10 minutes or so at 100% CPU it gets up to about 56, idles around 39. The CPU fan is by far the loudest thing so far, but I haven't fired off a game yet. Definitely happy with the build. My work buddy is building in a Fractal 202 tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Scored 17000+ on Firestrike without even overclocking anything.

PCPartpicker gives a compatibility warning with the HSF, did you have to switch fans or anything? Also, does such a small case need a blower-style GPU?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

particle9 posted:

The HSF is too tall for the case but the top fan is optional/removable. What I did was use the shorter fan that comes with the case attached above the cpu to replace the larger fan that comes with the heatsink (the heatsink has two fans, one optional top, one 90mm under the grills). Then I used the top fan that came with the HSF in the empty fan slot under the gpu. I don't have a blower gpu, I wouldn't get one there is plenty of air for gpu's in this case. Just make sure with larger after markets you take stock of measurements. I think the MSI is too wide for example. The evga sc totally fits great for me. I think people have put STRIX in this case as well.

Thank you, that clarifies things quite a bit! Can I solicit your subjective opinion on the portability of the case?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Okay here's my latest crack at a video and photo editing/vr dev/gaming portable machine spec out. Feedback, esp about the cooler and storage choices would be greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1055.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-11 13:42 EDT-0400

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

get a used/refurb M1 Mac Mini

it’ll be better bang/buck, your art software will be well-optimized, it runs poo poo like Hades good, and it’ll give you an in to Logic/Final Cut if you so desire, which are frankly awesome value for what they are at $200
Definitely this. Or get a steam deck it you want to game.