Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
maybe the wrong thread for this, but given the recent posts about HTPCs and streaming destinations—I’m looking to get a torrenting box for legally sharing media, one that takes up a minimum of room and fuss vs my existing tower PC, is my best bet still to go with a $80-110 preowned USFF Optiplex/etc office PC eBay special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I think this will depend on how many TB of free open source isos you plan to seed? Hanging multiple external drives off of a usff case gets messy real fast.

Good point. I guess for the same money I could go SFF and pop in an internal drive or three

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah the Node 304 is some way behind the current gen of SFF cases but what it can do is carry 6 full size hard drives. That will gently caress up the airflow a bit.

I have a LSI SAS card if anyone wants it for postage from Europe btw.

What you want may be better served by a NAS though.

Yeah but the point is to have this be as cheap as possible. I’m not looking to spend $400+ putting together an extraneous PC that will definitely not be mainly used for downloading Game Boy ROMs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

McGurk posted:

Speaking of the Chopin Pro I am looking at an APU build with a 5600g but can't find a good case in stock anywhere. I'd prefer the power supply to be internal but at this point I'm open to a brick. Any suggestions? No real budget just want something mini-ITX with room for a 2.5" drive or two.

If you don’t need the extra 50W, the older Chopin is still easily available for sale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Sorry, I live in the desert with an old who thinks the thermostat being set any lower than 81-82F is a mortal sin :sigh:

do you guys look like McPoyles when you emerge from your sauna for food and to run errands, etc?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

for one, it is a dry heat, not a wet hea

properly operating saunas are dry heat, not wet heat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

lmao I've never actually been inside an actual sauna

you’re missing out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cygni posted:

really shoulda been "meshilicious" imo, but i do really like the case

Meshilicious, definition: make the goons go crazy.

Tempted by my airflow, wanna build inside me maybe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

They used to be insanely cheap, less so now but the Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny models are still cheaper than a NUC and fine for a general computer. A couple of years ago I got one off the Lenovo website for £258 shipped.

Mac Minis are also pretty good value for the base model.

Mac Mini for like $550 at Costco is excellent value, will probably last you 10 years easy, will run Hades + Disco Elysium + at like 4k60 plus also civ and Stellaris what more do you want

Tall Lady resident evil + no man’s sky coming soon, Mac has all the games for the discerning gentlegoon and no fluff

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

The old laptop I've been using for my "HTPC" -- really just running windows to stream videos from my network storage and occasionally watching twitch, youtube, etc on TV in an ad-blockable way -- has apparently decided to kick the bucket. I'm looking to replace it with a more dedicated HTPC solution. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like nowadays.

Constraints:
- Ideally uses DisplayPort. My TV is one of the weird Panasonics that uses DP for one of its two 4K-capable inputs and I'm unlikely to find anything else to plug in there.
- Can handle playing compressed media at 4K@60Hz without trouble.
- Small, assembled, quiet, reasonably designed. A black box is fine, but I don't want to solder my own Pi.
- Reasonably flexible when it comes to the software I can run. I'd like to be able to run some better HTPC-type UI, use steam link, etc.
- It would be nice if it could run some up-to-90s emulators natively so I can wallow in childhood nostalgia.
- I don't care about storage or wifi, it'll sit in a cabinet under the TV, next to my switch and NAS.
- Doesn't have to be the cheapest possible option, but I don't see a reason to spend much money on this.

I have a Chromecast Ultra but it's a little too limited for what I want, in addition to definitely not using displayport. I'm thinking the best solution is just the most cheap-rear end NUC-style mini PC I can find, but that's not a hardware segment I'm at all familiar with. Currently looking at a Zotac PI335, which is available here in Europe, is cheap (213€), and has a Celeron N4100 which I think is probably fine for my purposes. Is that a reasonable enough choice? Does the hardware matter at all for this sort of stuff nowadays? I don't need to or want to play modern PC games on this thing, but I do want it to not choke on video playback and be responsive to use. Are there other approaches, like more flexible pure streaming solutions than a Chromecast, that I should be looking at? Would I be better off outside x86-land? Windows feels like an optional expense, but I haven't really seen a better non-windows option.

wait 6 months and pick up somebody’s used M1 Mac Mini for like $400 when the M2s come out.

It’s not remotely the cheapest option but if you’re ok with the surprisingly deep and broad options for Mac OS HTPC software it’ll probably run like an ice cold little top for the next decade without giving you very many problems.

plus next year you’ll be able to play native ports of RE8 and No man’s sky at the rough equivalent of medium-ish settings on it, hooray!! Hades and Disco Elysium both already look great at 4K on it, and that’s all the games anybody really needs.

joking aside, it actually handles a lot of stuff like EVE and even a lot of Rosetta/emulated recent games quite well, and it’s honestly pretty beastly as a USFF emulation box up thru GC/Wii-era poo poo. I don’t personally spend a ton of time with emulating old games myself but from what I can tell from people who do, it seems like they’re generally pretty happy with M1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

One in a million chance, anyone know where I might be able to get a repalcement drive cage for a node 804 case? Got one from a friend, which would be perfect to move my nas into ( I've got an old tried but true matx supermicro X10SL7-F even!) but for some reason he threw out the second drive cage

I've tried contacting fractal but no bueno , I might just have to figure out to fabricate my own since unless someone's smashed their existing case I don't know why they'd sell it, so I realize the odds of this are pretty drat slim

lol just nvme

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OP what does your bro think of Elon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

teagone posted:

Despite running bots on his PC, my brother is like the most un-online person lol. I'm sure he's aware of Elon, because he's looking into buying an EV, but I doubt he knows anything explicit about him/his recent Twitter shenangigans; he's not one to really care about that sort of poo poo. The only social media my bro has is the FB page he runs for a boba tea business that he's a part-owner of. Outside of that, the only online stuff I'm aware of that he does is whenever we play whatever games together lmao.

My good goon, I was joking

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ughhhh posted:

At least once for sure. They have a work trip coming up next year and will be gone for a month or so. I have a couple of pelican case knockoffs from harbor freight that i could easily fit something like a dan a4 laying around.

Some thoughts:

1. I think you should just get your partner a Steam Deck, if they’re gonna be on the road so much.

Definitely consider something like a Steam Deck over building a 2070 gaming PC into a Pelican case with the hope that your partner will drag it along with them on a monthlong business trip.

2. You can take the 2070 and the remainder of your budget and build them a much more affordable, less compromised, desktop computer for the home around it. With RGB as god intended.

Do still make them a gaming PC, it sounds like they need a new computer and like you want to involve them more in your hobby.

3. If you’re dead-set on “portable desktop PC” that can hang with the big budget i7s/i9s/xeons from a couple years ago in certain tasks, and it must be in that form-factor, then a $600 M1 Mac Mini will play like 70% of indie weeb games natively/thru Rosetta, and the remaining 30% can probably be emulated effectively thru Parallels or whatever.

If they’re playable on an old low-power laptop, they’re probably not much of a challenge for M1. There’s supposedly a Mac version of Valheim in the works too.

A Mac Mini won’t be nearly as compatible with the Steam library as something like a Steam Deck will, but it’ll be more capable at desktop work while still being much better at portability and packability than what you’re planning.

They use much less power, which makes them better suited for setting up in a hotel room or office or whatever, and they’re relatively inexpensive compared to what people expect to spend on a gaming PC, or what you expect to spend making a 2070 “portable”.

4. If you’re even remotely on board with the Mac Mini suggestion then really you should just spend $200-300 more and get the same computer in MacBook Air form and that way your SO can replace the old laptop.

5. Get your partner a Steam Deck. Build them a gaming rig with the 2070. Consider replacing their old laptop with something like an M1/M2 MacBook Air because there’s still nothing in the Windows space that comes close to touching it for the money, and the QoL improvements for doing “day to day laptop poo poo” are probably worth the lack of compatibility with most AAA games.

They’ll still probably be able to play a ton of (indie/dating/weeb) poo poo, and anything that won’t run on the laptop will happily run on the Steam Deck and 2070 gaming PC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LegoMan posted:

A coworker recommended a stick PC (plugs into HDMI) for traveling to watch Netflix and things. Well I bought AIOEXPC PC Stick Mini Computer and am returning it immediately because can't even run browsers, let alone streaming media. Does anyone have any recommended sticks like this or are they all poo poo

stick PCs are all gonna be poo poo unless you want to spend several hundreds of dollars getting something with a proper CPU/GPU. Maybe try looking at refurbished USFF office PCs on eBay for $80-200. They’ll be a bit bigger than a stick, but not by much and they’ll be able to take many hours of use without complaint. Plus if you get a new enough one you can do some light steam gaming or moderate emulation on it (or heavy steam gaming with Steam link if your connection is good).

Keep in mind that a lot of streaming services top out at 720p on desktop as an “antipiracy” measure, regardless of whether you’re trying to use said computer as a HTPC or not.

Something like a Roku stick/puck for $30-60 or an AppleTV for a lot more than that (but with notably snappier performance) will let you access streaming services and also AirPlay from an Apple device if you’re so inclined (Roku does Airplay now) but IDK how either device would handle being constantly setup and taken down from various hotel rooms, etc.

I think Roku would be fairly simple but pairing it to a new wifi network frequently would get tiring fast, and IDK if AppleTV would just make you set the whole thing up again from scratch with every unplug, but I can’t imagine it would be that much more annoying than adding your stick PC/HTPC to hotel wireless

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Moey posted:

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?

your mom is doing client isolation

HalloKitty posted:

I've been to huge tech events where you can run a wifi scanner and see all the other clients. A hotel? Good luck

your mom’s a wifi scanner

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Minecraft was a bad example. I was looking into beelinks earlier. It'd probably suit my needs just fine tbh.

get a used/refurb M1 Mac Mini

it’ll be better bang/buck, your art software will be well-optimized, it runs poo poo like Hades good, and it’ll give you an in to Logic/Final Cut if you so desire, which are frankly awesome value for what they are at $200

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean depending on what your actual budget is you could prolly even get a new M1 or M2 one at such as Costco.

But you can get an M1 in clean shape with upgrades like a 512 gb SSD or 16gb RAM for like $400-500CAD. Base models are like $300 and it’s trivial to add more storage with an external SSD. Way better than a micro PC for running creative apps and day-to-day poo poo IMO.