Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Excellent timing, thread! I just picked up one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fanless-i5-Mini-PC-Windows-Barebone-PC-Broadwell-Intell-Core-i5-5200U-2-7GHz-4K-HTPC/32366202925.html after reading Jeff Atwoods article on "The Scooter Computer"

My plans are to put Fedora on it, plug in a big external disk and use it as my downloading/TV show storing box. I know I could get a NAS for not a great deal more, but I really don't need the redundancy and I like that this should have significantly more horsepower. I also don't need the speed and I have a bunch of external drives lying around so the storage part is practically free.

I'm also greatly excited by the fact that its fanless, and without the external drive there are no moving parts. Since it has Wifi I can also stick it pretty much anywhere and not have to see or hear it once its set up. That's the theory anyway.

Has anyone else tried these out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I recently learned these things exist (from AI) http://cdn.axminster.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/920x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/4/340355_xl.jpg
Search for offset ratchet screwdriver.

Also flexi-shaft screwdrivers might do it, depending on the angle.

Stubby screwdrivers are common but only in larger sizes than what you would probably need.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Magnetic side panels are interesting. Probably no good if you want to travel with it, but simplifies the construction a bit. Seems like a pretty good channel too btw. So nice to have someone who doesn't just yell all the time.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If it’s not shutting down to protect itself, and the fan noise doesn’t bother you, then it’s fine.

Save the money and buy lowtax a liquid-cooled spine instead.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah usb3 ports will interfere with the wireless receiver. Just use a usb2.0 extension cable if you only have usb3 ports and get the receiver as far away from the computer as possible, ideally with line of sight to the keyboard.