Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm moving to the UK in a month, but want to build a PC over there. What would I need to know about eventually shipping the PC back to Aus when I come back? Thinking a lot about the Phantex Evolv ITX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Keep the case packaging, potentially build it into a wooden crate as well, insure the gently caress out of it, remove any heavy CPU coolers or video cards and ship them separately - or fill the gaps in the case with dense foam so nothing can move around too much.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that when it's time to come back, I might just sell or ditch the case and any bulky parts. I'll bring back CPU/GPU in carry-on or something. That's a problem for another day I guess!

Coredump posted:

Will that case work in an inverted orientation? For when you get back to 'Straya? :v:

:australia:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Anyone here using the ITX Phanteks Evolv? What's airflow actually like? I've seen some chatter online about it choking GPUs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

honestly, I think you're past the limit of being sensible with a case that small. You obviously have money and the room for a bigger case. Why not just get something that actually fits what you're doing?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wish the M1 and A4 were just regular products you could buy in a store or on a normal webpage. This age of pre-ordering kickstarterted/croudfunded stuff is kinda frustrating.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you could get a nice cooler for your CPU you'd probably be fairly well off. This guy did similar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4pvk4r/build_complete_asus_strix_1080_fits_in_the_ncase/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is literally how iMacs got so popular - people don't want towers. I vote for a NUC or one of the smaller silverstone cases. I think the FT series are pretty handsome.

My old work legit used NUCs as PC replacements for their graphic designers. Photoshop / Indesign are within reach of a box the size of a large sandwich.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DANCASE A4 is apparently going to be available end 2016, early 2017. Looks like they're even linking up with retailers (overclockers in the UK), so it's slowly becoming a real, actual product you can buy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

seconding the 304. It holds 6 drives and isn't exactly massive. Looks really nice, depending on how you feel about microwaves.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That thing is pretty cool. Silverstone is neat company, I appreciate how they're not afraid to get weird and make niche stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think a Nano S with a PSU mounted vertically in front - where ODDs would usually go in an ATX case - allowing for a shorter height would be ideal. Fractal, email me for my paypal deets thanks in advance.

Also loving lol @ NZXT's itx case. That thing is so silly. Everyone just wants an S340 mini, guys! No need to build some curved monstrosity.

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 10, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Be Quiet! Cooler, EVGA GPU. Fractal Case and a Corsair PSU.

That's a really smart build. Good stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yes but with an actual supply chain.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Could be, it's been a while since they've released a new product. Any predictions? I'm gonna suggest a white Nano S and potentially a new Node case.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

More and more I'm seeing multiple items share the same page / review data. I've seen ITX, ATX, MATX boards on the same page, as well as a 24" IPS screen share data with a 27" TN panel. It's borderline deceptive.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When do we start betting on the noise / temps? I'm keen to see how it works

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

buffbus posted:

I believe the mini c is micro atx.

yep it's mATX. Honestly mATX is kind of a weird area. ITX / ATX get all the attention, but there's not really anything 'wrong' with mATX it's just kind of ... in the middle.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So it goes:

Define XL - The biggest case they do, does it all, weighs a tonne.
Define R5 - full featured ATX. Basically the flagship.
Define S - ATX, minus cages and some minor changes
Define C - ATX, minus cages and maybe a bit narrower? Seems very similar to the S.
Define Mini C - mATX version of the above.
Define Mini - older mATX design.
Define Nano S - ITX version. There's no non-S nano.

Jesus. It's as bad as cars. Why do no companies have any foresight or respect to standards?

It should be more like:

Define XL - eATX
Define R5 / S5 - ATX
Define M - mATX
Define Nano - iTX

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could also get an external soundcard or interface. Even something like a used low-end Saffire would be more than enough I/O.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If 6 is not enough, it might be time to start considering a NAS TBH.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Already bought a new Fractal Define R4 and migrated the parts. The mobo is swimming in this case.

This was my NAS. Had to finally sacrifice size for more HDD bays.

I still have another ITX system though :)

neat. are you gonna do the ODD > HDD caddy thing?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can understand the desire for handles. I always wanted a case with backpack-style material straps anchored to the bottom corners. That way it would be very light and strong. A steel handle seems a bit excessive.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

That's kind of cute.

I don't move my computer all that much, so I've never really thought "Man I wish my case had a handle". What use cases are there where a handle is a big improvement over a case that doesn't have one? Do people travel a lot with computer towers? I thought LAN parties were dead.

I can imagine having a bigass monitor and accessories at both home & work, then using a briefcase or backpack ready ITX build I could cart between the two. I did it with a MBP for a while and can see the benefits of having actual desktop parts instead. The builtin screen and keyboard are basically just backups for me.

Small size, easy carry and a bit of water resistance, it would be pretty cool.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dali Parton posted:

So I just finished my first ever SFF/ITX build. I'm pretty proud of myself, having come from a gigantic HAF 932 (I tried googling a pic showing off the size, but someone posted this and I think it fits pretty well).

The idea was that I wanted a case as small as possible, but could also be upgraded without a lot of fuss or super-specific part hunting (like the small form factor PSUs). And I needed something that could accommodate a massive graphics card like my MSI GTX 970 (which is 10.91in/277mm long). I went with the Thermaltake Core V1, though I wanted a Fractal Node 304 because it looked more sleek, wasn't covered in vents, and just a lil' shorter. After a couple of hours of researching, it didn't look like the Node would fit my card because of the size and the position of the power inputs.

The V1 and other parts came today and I was surprised how easy it all went. I was scared of SFF computers and how cramped it would be, but it was actually quite alright. Nabbing a full size modular PSU wasn't a bad idea either. I suck at cable management, but theres few cables comparatively so they're not getting in the way. With everything else installed, fitting the GPU was a little tricky but not too bad. Having to fit the power cables through a little gap was the most uneasy experience in the whole build, but the cables should be fine. I just don't like having to bend cables more than I have to. In the future, I'll probably grab a graphics card just a smidge shorter. I'm banking on graphics cards not getting more than 11 inches because this is sorta ridiculous. Other than that, case was a pleasure to work with.

Anywho, it's all said and done now. I put all the stickers on the backside because I want the case to blend into an entertainment center without "sticking out". I even ripped the Thermaltake logo that was glued onto the front, and put it in the back. I'm trying to think of a way that I can cover/tint/spraypaint the top clear panel so my flashy GPU doesn't show.It's running now, I'm surprised how quiet it is! Here's the specs. I dunno why I wrote this post, but hopefully it'll give you some insight with what fits into a TT Core V1.

Case: ThermalTake Core V1
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G2, Full Modular
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
Mobo: MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC LGA 1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: That one Samsung one everyone likes, 250GB.

can you post a picture of the front, where you've ripped the logo off? I like the look of the case but hate that logo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

neat! the depression is barely noticeable in black. Looks sharp!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could try using like, contact adhesive paper on each side and then poking out the holes carefully. You'd get a consistent colour that way, and you could also get one with like Spider-Man on it or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

apparently this has some support : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#ov

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like to see more SFF cases that only have room for short GPUs. The single fan 1060 & 1070 cards exist, there's really no need for a fullsize card in a smaller case.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

:eyepop:

that is a seriously enticing case

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, that thing with an interchangeable processor + different GPU (and some more restraint in the styling) would be almost perfect.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'm referring to this where it is centered and looks cool:

i still wish there was a way do remove it without leaving an indent. It'd be cool if the logo was held in with like, squeze pins or something, so you could move it wherever you wanted. Like, the bin, for being ugly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't see why we can't just have a whole bunch of M.2 slots on the back of the board. There's also a DIMM > M.2 adapter in one of the CES vids, I think. Strange days!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fractal Nano S, Phantext Evolv Itx, NZXT Manta are all in the weird category of 'giant ITX'.

Actual small ITX cases you can buy in stores include Silverstone Sugo series (sg13 is the 'best') Rajintek Metis, Coolermaster Elite and Thermaltake's subwoofer-looking thing.

I honestly can't recommend ITX if it's your first ever build. I'd recommend you get a small mATX system, unless you 100% need a tiny box. mATX is cheaper and easier to work with.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A FTZ01-E with 70's style timber/aluminium finish would basically be the greatest.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nzxt is doing a daily countdown on twitter, tomorrow is zero. so i guess, no one buy a case for the next day or two.

hopefully it's an even bigger itx box

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Because everyone calls it mATX so using µatx is just cumbersome? You're not wrong, that's a valid name but to me t's equivalent to thesaurus abuse.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cubes make sense if you have specific shape requirements (like shelving or something to place it on) or just really, really love minecraft.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's a short 1060, 1070 and 1080 as well as stuff like the R9 Nano. The 1050 can be small, too. I'd like nothing more than to see wider adoption of the smaller form factor for GPUs. Gamers love sagging big GPUs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

an skeleton posted:

What are the variables that result in a delid failure? Is it a crapshoot or not likely if im careful?

I'd seriously recommend you try something (anything) before delidding. It's a delicate process and should definitely be the first port of call for dealing with temps.