Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just wait for the hades canyon NUC :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

emocrat posted:

Hi thread! I'm putting together a build this fall and while I've built a dozen or so PC's I think for the first time I am going to do a sff build.

Looking at putting a 9600k and a 1070ti in a z390 board and at the moment I am looking at doing it in the Fractal Design Nano S.

https://goo.gl/NemGoy

So I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that case, good or bad. I am also open to other case suggestions along similar lines that I might have a better experience with.
Thanks!

Nano S owner here! It is actually quite big for a mini-itx case, so unless you go for some ridiculous components you won't have any trouble fitting a standard CPU cooler and GPU inside, while still having some room left. Remember that this case was designed with water cooling in mind.
The only recommendation I'd have is to use a SFF PSU, because it sits quite close to the GPU and you'll want some breathing room to keep temperatures low. For other stuff like case fans etc. I'll leave it to someone more experienced to weight in.
Otherwise, FD cases are really well put together and great to work with. As for other cases, I think the Ncase M1 is basically a Nano S with the extra room removed if I remember right.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

emocrat posted:

Thanks!

Do you have a suggestion for an SFX power supply?

Are you water cooling yours? Is this a serious concern for me that air cooling would be insufficient and I might run into problems? I am not really interested in doing an AIO.

Either Corsair or Silverstone (see OP), both seem to be equivalent. They might be a bit louder than regular PSUs though.

No water cooling on mine, air cooling is plenty sufficient unless you go for some high overclocking.
What I meant by saying that the case was designed with water cooling in mind is that it is big enough to house an AIO + radiator if you want, not that it is necessary to have it. On the contrary, the bigger volume actually helps with air cooling as well!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Hmmmmm...

Intel Plans Ghost Canyon X NUC with Discrete Graphics in 2020

Quite a ways away of course, but an interesting wrinkle for extremely small SFF systems while overcoming the NUC's biggest disadvantage for being used as a high-end system.

Pretty cool indeed, the PCIe slot really was the biggest hurdle to have something high-end that's smaller than mini-itx. Well there was mini-stx, but with the unavailability of MCM gpus (sadly) it was pretty much a fringe phenomenon.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Ended up getting a set of cables from Cable mods for my sf600 a couple years ago when I built my Ncase M1.

Shouldn't you be only using the manufacturers cables on the PSU, unless you want to fry your Mobo?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

BrassRoots posted:

poo poo. I just bought an ML08B case and MSI b450i. Hopefully no regrets.

I need a computer for a home office but not urgently so just buying buts and pieces as they go on special.

Plan is:
Ryzen 3600
2060 super

It won't do much gaming but I want that option. Especially when my kid is old enough in a few years. I don't plan on buying any more games because of my backlog so it should chew through witcher 3 and the division pretty easily.

e: huh, no red text yet. that's nice. i mostly phone post so never know.

Fwiw, the Witcher 3 and the division run fine on my 5 year old rig (i5 6600k + GTX 1060). Not at 144 fps with everything on high of course, but perfectly playable.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
You can easily sideload any Android browser or emulator on the Shield if that's your concern :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

While I'm aware the good answer is "buy a laptop", bear with me.

Is anyone making a relatively portable sized PC, prebuilt, that can game? Not necessarily some of the Roku sized NUC stuff in this thread, as it seems hard to find those that will game, but still something that is small and portable?

I'm helping a friend look for a portable PC that can move between houses, but for whatever reason doesn't want a laptop. Is there anything like that?

Maybe a mini-ITX prebuilt?

Something like the Corsair One, or the Falcon Northwest Tiki?