Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason to not go with the $50 upsale built-in PSU for the Fractal 202 case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

negativeneil posted:

where do you guys get your cables from? I keep seeing these nice braided motherboard cables but I never seem to figure out where to buy them.
They're called sleeved cables. I looked into this once, but these are the only links in my notes I could find just now:

* http://www.icemodz.eu/
* https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-mdpc-x-sleeving-of-individual-cables-by-kamaster.1599965/
* http://www.overclock.net/t/1262900/frequently-asked-sleeving-questions

There's also the subreddits /r/CableManagement and /r/PCSleeving.

Dunno whether you may need to roll your own given the case size.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe get a faster clock speed for your RAM? 2133 is a little low when you can get around ~3200 without much of a change in price (like $20).

EDIT: Ah, the motherboard doesn't support higher. But maybe there's another one that does at a similar price, just putting it out there.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 28, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any thoughts on Lian Li cases? They didn't get mentioned in the OP so I was wondering what the general take is on them; I'm looking at the LIAN LI PC-Q10WX. It's a step up in price, but not as big as those custom Kickstarter cases so it might be a good middle ground for me, and if they're built to last it might be worth it if I end up re-using it for a new build in 5 years
I have an E-ATX case, here are some things:

1) Ease of use is very high, especially mounting
2) Some nice soundproof elements, but missing some like foam on cases
3) It's not very good for filtering dust - at all - and it takes way too long to clean the front filter
4) It's heavy af, but that shouldn't be surprising
5) Some things like screws are impossible to buy replacements for, which sucks when they're supposed to be placed loosely in some cases. I've sacrificed the two screws for my front panel to the Vacuum God, so guess I'm not using a front panel anymore!

It's only sort of prestigious, and as it is, I've currently got some tape on the front where I'm missing a placeholder panel to close the slot from where I used an optical drive, since that panel is somehow now gone, it's dusty as hell and not super silent, and my door panel is probably not gonna be used for good due to their dumbass screws that have been impossible to find online for years (here in Europe).

I'm getting a beQuiet next time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Lian-Li was the king of PC cases a bunch of years ago until Fractal came along and dethroned them.
I got a case, and it's impossible to find replacements for minor parts, which is absurd given the premium branding and pricing.

They look lovely and are easy to use, though, but other companies appear to have caught up with them anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone who's ever done a custom job of installing fan filters without any designated sockets?

My place has absurd amounts of dust which I think has to do with the underfloor heating, so I want to filter dust at every given opportunity, but a lot of case manufacturers aren't hip to this problem. I don't want to slap on a dust filter with tape, since I have to be able to remove and clean it regularly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

bubblewrapsky posted:

Magnetic filters might be an option for you. They can be fairly expensive but they work well.
I've dabbled with a bunch, but for whatever reason, the ones I have don't stick to my case. It does stick to my whiteboard, so it's definitely magnetic, but the case metal doesn't work with it for some reason.

Maybe it'll be different with my beQuiet Dark Base 900.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Open it in HWINFO64 and see if it's constant 70C or if it goes up and down in a weird sawtooth pattern. You can also right click on a value and get it as a graph to make things easier.

Maybe you didn't tigten it enough, or you didn't switch between screws on the heatsink brackets to tighten it more evenly.