Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I slapped an Accerlero III on my 1080 with a pair of 120's horfing the heat exhaust out the bottom; works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hate when manufacturers have no non-glass panel option. I want more ventilation, not a window into something no one will be looking at. :(

I'm still musing on the A4, but I don't want to plunk down the money when I may need space for an AIO come Vega. :ohdear:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Did you test temps with and without the fans under the GPU?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've become so indoctrinated into the cult of itx that seeing hordes of new, massive, glowing towers makes me reflexively sneer. :ohdear:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I lust for an itx future where one cable from the PSU to MB can power everything. :kheldragar:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have my M1 sitting on the floor on top of a pair of yoga blocks with the bottom vents exposed for exhausting the GPU. It works well for giving lots of breathing room.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

Everything can basically breathe fresh intake air if you configure it right. My setup is both side fans pulling fresh air through the rad, both bottom fans pushing fresh air into the GPU. With decent pressure fans (I'm using ML120s) this surprisingly isn't too much positive pressure because the case is entirely vents so you get plenty of passive venting. The comedy option is to buy an accelero xtreme III to replace the GPU cooler and have the bottom fans (which nearly touch it) just exhaust case air through that. If you have any issues at all with GPU temps in either of these configurations you can use some different case feet (aftermarket AV equipment feet or whatever you have around) to lift it up another half inch or so and easily gain a few degrees.

As mentioned previously, I do this and it's glorious. The bottom fans just horf air out the bottom. Fair warning though, getting all the little VRM and RAM heatsinks to stay on is a bitch.

I'm thinking that my next GPU will probably go the AIO 120mm route, though. Obviously bending hoses around in a tight space is a pain in the arse, but the Accelero is no walk in the park to install or mount either in a small case.

My mad scientist brain would love if the GPU in the M1 (or similar size case) could be mounted vertically a la Silverstone's 90° system so that you could have much clearer airflow from the bottom intakes go the rest of the system without a big, flat wall of GPU in the way. That said, I'm sure that engineering such a thing in such a small package is tricky and would inevitably create a larger case as a result.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

On a scale of 1 to "totally not loving worth it", how much of a pain is the accelero? I'm debating between getting a EVGA 1080ti SC2 and just dealing with the slightly subpar thermals/acoustics or going whole hog founders edition plus accelero. Not feeling super amazing about pasting cheap little heatsinks onto a $700 PCB though.

In the case of the M1, I think it was absolutely worth it. Using it to exhaust GPU heat out the bottom with 120mm fans gives you the best situation short of using liquid. 120mm fans give tons of power while still being quiet, and venting out the bottom keeps a lot of hot air from mingling with the rest of the system.

The pain in the rear end is sticking on all the little heatsinks. iirc I used 3M thermal tape to secure them because the glue provided by Arctic is a much bigger pain in the rear end to remove down the road. You need to be gentle moving and installing the final GPU as a bump or shake might knock a heatsink off. Completely doable but takes a bit of patience, trial and error.

If you can elevate the case so there is more empty space under the fans, all the better. This advice also holds true if using bottom intakes fans.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 13, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I do things in a slightly heretical way. I don't have a big overclock on the 1080 and I didn't want to futz around with a lot of fan control software on my older MB so I just have the 120mms fixed at 40% speed where they noiselessly keep the GPU under 80°, and often under 70° degrees when I'm playing games.

I could figure out more advanced fan control software; I could push a more aggressive overclock; but at the end of the day I find set it and forget it silence has worked just fine for me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's ambitious but I don't know why I'd take it over the M1.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm running an Accelero with my 1080 in the M1. It works great with a pair of 120s exhausting out the bottom. I have both ends raised so the bottom exhaust has more space to vent before it hits the floor.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If I couldn't use my C-14, I'd have gone with the U9 for sure.

If you're going balls out on overclocking might need a CLC unit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

M1 with 90° mobo rotation for best airflow practices. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://youtu.be/aUrhcovJZss

This thing is basically an Dan Case A4,but expandable to hold a 240mm AIO. Very cool but very expensive.

I like it. Not going to rush to replace my M1 with it, but I like it.