Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For larger mini-itx cases there is the Fractal Node 304, which I love. I'm probably going to turn it into a file server in a few months since it has 6 2.5/3.5" slots available, but it works great as a gaming pc. It fits an ATX power supply, though you are limited to less than 160mm if you use a long video card (moreso if you have modularity). I have a shortened 970 though, so I don't run into that issue. I kinda wonder if the 1070 or a polaris card will do that as well... I love my tiny little 970.

Not mine, but look at it! :3:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are those avotons grunty enough for plex 1080p transcoding?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Well, haha it does look like it is just barely powerful enough for that. However it might not be enough for me though... I am planning on building a NAS/Plex server with both being equally important and I don't care enough to spend the money for a Xeon, so I might honestly sacrifice the ECC for processor oomph.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah I got a g3258, but I'm really not interested in paying $200 for a mini-itx c226, plus whatever extra ECC ram is. I think I can risk a zfs pool being corrupted for a home plex server. It's just video lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

Are you sure you need a special motherboard? The memory controller is inside the processor, I think the motherboard just provides traces and power.

I agree that it's not that big of a deal for a Plex server in particular, it was just interesting to me because I recently set up a home server based on an old X58 system. It works great but is kind of overkill and uses around 100W, so I was thinking how it would be nice to get a newer and lower powered dual-core. Probably not worth the expense but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

ECC memory tends to be pretty expensive new (especially since most of it is registered too and that won't work in a desktop board), but if you're willing to risk eBay it's not bad. I got a matched 3x4GB set for the system mentioned above for $17 a stick, which is about what normal memory costs.

Well, from everything I could find, both the chipset and cpu need to support it :/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Another thread pointed out that Cyrorig is getting into the business of making cases, and they are teasing some interesting looking mini-itx cases here. That taku looks cool and I may end up getting it, and if you wanted a trash can but didn't want to pay apple, nows your chance!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
One thing I like about the Ola over the A4 is the 3.5" HDD spot. I have a 2gb hard drive that I'd like to keep into a new case lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah. I was strongly considering getting one of those and using my current case as a file server, but that's a little too steep for me. I might as well just get something cheap isntead instead and get one of those cyrorig cases when they come out next year. I know the huge Enthoo case was a hit, how is Phantek's itx case? It's 50 bucks on newegg right now.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 29, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh wow :stare: That's like twice as big as my 304, and that's a big case itself. The SG13B is cheap and all, but I'm not too big a fan of that chamfered look the front panel has.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah I just came across that. Since I already use a 120mm AIO and will only have an SSD and a bulk storage drive, for $45 that's not bad at all.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
What I'm waiting for is a tiny case that is 120 or 140mm radiator compatible with full size gpu support and multiple mount points for ssds and a 3.5 or two. I actually just gave up on that and just got a corsair 380T which while large, does have plenty of room and stuff lol.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
huh, for some reason I thought the rvz01 couldn't fit a AIO cooler... Though I wonder if it's one of those that requires a thin fan and or rad. Regardless, I didn't want to have to buy a new PSU, and I love the look of the 380t and plus I can slap a AIO on my 1070 in the future!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The 380t is twice as big as anything I mentioned in the OP. However, the SG13b fits your description as long as full size means up to 10.5" gpu, which reference and some of the smaller 2 fan cards are.

That's what I -had- and it definitely did not fit the EVGA 1070 I got. But the 380T is a great case (and looks and feels much better than the SG13b), even if it's not a nano sized one that I'd have to buy a SFX supply for.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
It seems to me like the core x1 is made for people who do custom water cooling and/or need a ton of drive capacity, stuff which you need a good amount of room for.

e- Also for the people who want plenty of room to work around, not the cramped-to-non-existent room of the ueber tiny cases lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

If I had to do it again, I would get a blower card and use a i5 6600k (or lower TDP) processor. It's perfect for gaming but when I start doing any video encoding using hand brake / adobe premiere pro, the CPU hits really high temperatures (80-85 degrees). I'm not sure how much is because of the Hyper Threading. Too much heat builds up when doing high CPU intensive tasks and can't keep up. Same thing happens with Prime 95. It's still reasonably below 90, but it's not ideal. I don't feel comfortable with those temperatures for a long period of time.

Playing video games, it never goes hotter then 70 CPU wise. GPU does run a little hot, for example, when playing Overwatch at 1440p / Ultra the temperatures hit around 80 degrees. The 1070 is efficient though so the fans never really run at 100 percent. If those temperatures are too high you can probably implement a custom fan curve to cool it down more. I'd still prefer a blower cooler since it would push the hot air out of the case. Now if you remove the dust filters, temperatures do drop 5-10 degrees for both the CPU and GPU but that's a pain in the rear end to do each time I decide to do any video editing.

edit: If you want a small case and haven't bought any parts yet, look at the Silverstone Sugo SG13. You can install an AIO water cooler along with a 10.5" blower 1070 card in a smaller footprint then the RVZ02. I would actually go this route if I did it again.

I actually had the sg13, and no matter what I tried, my 1070 (which is 10.5" long) could not fit in that case with my AIO cooler, fwiw. BTW if someone wants to buy one with the mesh front plate, I have that one sitting around.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Just get a larger size mitx :D

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The longer ends need to be facing vertically, did you do that? Or was it more of a tube issue? An SFX power supply might alleviate that.

Here's a picture of the first thing I stole from overclockers.net, but turn it 90 degrees.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2331280/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

I'm having trouble seeing what you are trying to explain here, but that picture shows the issue exactly. I had that exact setup, almost (not corsair brand, but same size cooler and the mini Asus 970), and the cooler blocked the 1070.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The guy in his picture has it the wrong way for what you want to do. You can see where your graphics card would extend. The longer dimensions of the radiator should be oriented vertically, not horizontally. Or if its easier for you to understand it this way, the plastic ends of it should point up and down.

Ooohhhh I thought you were talking about the video card. Would that still let it be screwed in, and wouldn't that block the top storage drive plate?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, a 3.5" HDD is out of the cards entirely (unless you just have it hanging there) no matter what with the AIO screwed in, I found.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Speaking of 1080p, here is some Full HD paint!! https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Screen...4037Q3R3C3R6484

It's practically guaranteed to have 1080p resolution and, according to one review, actually has a 1440p resolution!!!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I got the corsair sf600 and its fantastic. I think the jonnyguru rating is like 9.75, and it has near platinum efficiency. The only mark is its like $100-120, but its an amazing little unit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

What do we even need dual M.2 for again? Samguns 960s are out in 1 and 2 TB which is plenty, Raid 0 is not going to made a perceivable speed difference whatsoever, Raid 1 is kind of pointless because these drives don't exactly fail on a regular basis, I dunno.

The same reason we need >1 SATA port

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

Apparently Silverstone was showing off an RVZ-03 last week. It's like the old Ravens, but the front is more angley, and it has room inside for 4 2.5" drives.

When I went looking for information about it, I came across this page in french:

https://www.cowcotland.com/news/56146/silverstone-rvz03-enchaine-ftz01-e-ml07-e.html

It looks like the ML07 and FTZ01 are both getting -E revisions, just like the RVZ01. That probably means no slot loading disc drive, but more room inside for drives, and enough space for a smallish ATX PSU.

http://www.overclockers.com/ces-2017-silverstone-shows-cases-psus-and-more/

Here's an english page that says the new cases have room for 12" video cards.

It also looks like they got rid of the logo that was printed on the front of the FTZ01, which is great, because why would you even put that there when the case is probably going to be turned sideways.

... Did they set up an exhibit in a regular hotel room?

Seriously, the cases are on the coffee table in front of the sofa and the PSUs are just in front of the TV!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Well, to be entirely fair, the mitx cases that are the same size as µatx cases are much easier to work in. my brother got a µatx case about the same size as the manta, and holy crap is that thing cramped.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

well, its not wrong. If I have the key available right on the keyboard, why not use it?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What keyboard has a mu character on it? Or are you typing in the alt code? Either way, lol.

OsX has it with alt-m ;)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Zotac does have a 'short' (about as long as a mini-itx board) 1070 and 1080 (though I believe the short 1080 still has heatsink sticking out off the edge of the PCB). Asus and gigabyte also did short versions of the 970, and probably did/will do the 1070 as well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Pff if you want a micro tax case get a Moneual Sonamu G100 :D

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
lol i love how people are saying to 'just get a micro atx system' as if it will be just as easy to work with. I've worked with microatx cases technically smaller than the mini itx case I'm currently using. Its hell: cramped, hard to screw things down, and just barely enough room for everything. A mini itx system in a similarly sized case is much easier to work in. Yeah, I know its not something you have to work with all that often, but if you have the space in your home and aren't completely obsessed with having the most efficient space possible, then theres really not much of a reason to get a microatx system.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Palladium posted:

Your "everyone" are also idiots who mindlessly copypasta myths about PSUs since the birth of Nvidia SLI..

It's next to impossible to break 300W on a stock i5 + 1070 setup, and most of time it should be running well under 200W in games.

:nallears: The reason people recommend 450+W power supplies is because efficiency is at its best at around 35-65% usage. Yes, you can pull up to (and over in some occasions) the design max in well designed models, but its not the best way to treat a PSU as that power from <90%design_max>*(1-Eff(<90%design_max>)) has to go somewhere: into the PSU components and atmosphere, encouraging wear and increasing the odds of it failing (if only by a tiny amount). It's not a myth.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Palladium posted:

I'll tell you what the AC power draw difference tested by Jonnyguru is between a EVGA G3 750W and a Seasonic G360 outputting ~350W DC: A massive 7W. Exhaust temp difference? 1C. Jesus, how could anybody afford to run that smaller PSU without it exploding left and right when they won't be running close to the max to begin with?

Besides you started a red herring about efficiency and still didn't prove how a typical gaming PC needing a 450W PSU isn't a flat out lie.

Oooo, nice it seems modern components are doing very well these days! That's a good sign (Of course those are both rather good parts, and I'd be more interested in how a lower end one (such as in a pre-built dell or something) would work) Theres also how the price difference between ~300 and ~600W supplies of good quality isn't THAT much, plus nice features like silent mode, modular, # of plugs etc that people sometimes care about. Of course, if you are overclocking that may complicate things, depending on what you are ocing and by how much.

(also your first sentence was bugging me with the weird grammar/wording so I went ahead and fixed it for you. I hope this is what you meant to say?)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't know really know what you guys are arguing about, but, my i7-5775C and GTX1080 computer draws 265W from the wall under a typical gaming load. That's a 65W CPU and 180W GPU on an 80+ Gold PSU. So I don't think efficiency is nearly as bad as that one girl is making it out to be. Or she is stuck in a time warp from 10 years ago.

Well, my biggest point of contention is that I generally like to play it safe. Just because the interior temp of a PSU isn't too hot doesn't mean that individual components or joints/contacts/whatever/electromigration aren't being stressed by approaching their current limits. Like I said, modern components are better than they have been, but if you can get something that keeps its usage in the middle for not much more (if anything) than something smaller power wise. It's better to be safe than sorry, and all that, even if its rather safe these days to edge closer to the limit. Now granted, sfx psus aren't anywhere near as big a market at the moment (not to mention the DC DC converters) as regular ATX, so economies of scale (or the lack thereof) make the lower output models more attractive. I, for one, have OC'd 4790k (4.6) and 1070 (2.05) with not much else pulling power, and I hit 300W from a wall with a SF600. Could I just as well have gotten a SF450? Yes, but given my previous PSU was a decent 450W seasonic bronze near the end of its lifetime and gave my computer some minor issues, I decided to just play it safe and get the next model up. Yes, the sf450 would almost certainly have had no issues as it was new and better, but for one, I have having to go through the hassle of returning things, and for two if the 450W would almost certainly be good enough, the 600W definitely would.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
You can just get a pentium, BXXX mobo, and a case that suits your needs-- install ubuntu on a flash drive, and stick home on the regular drives. I got the anniversary pentium and stuck it in a node 304 for the 6 hard drive spots-- a nice little server, and since steam streaming is nothing more than low latency video streaming, practically anything that can watch netflix can stream games (including any core processors, id imagine). Though honestly it might be just as good to get a surplus sandy bridge xeon or something for cheap, and just get a steam link.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
A GPIB card?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oof, yeah that's a wide card. Sorry, you might even have trouble fitting that into some standard mitx cases, let alone half height ones. I know it's a kinda expensive option but if you already have NI gpib stuff what's another few hundred? You could get a nuc or something similar and stick the card into an external dock such as this this. I don't know how much power it draws, but I'd guess it'd be small enough to work with the 25W that box provides.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Err to be clear, by width I meant the length from finger edge to the opposite edge--- the height you are talking about.

And I assumed you were academic or commercial; Not a lot of people need or use gpib. Honestly I think it'd be best just to get something like that silverstone sg-10 or whatever its called. That should fit everything just fine, though if I recall there's only one 'official' 3.5 mount point. There's nothing stopping you from just having one hanging/sitting there in the case though lol. I have an extra one if you live in or near Austin and/or want to negotiate ;) It has the solid flat front rather than the meshy one with the beveled indentations on it.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ha, no, I'm a loon who learned NI DAQ stuff on the job as a test engineer, and is trying to build a system so I can do data acquisition stuff for a sideline or for my own test equipment. As a hobby. I found a deal on the hardware and am trying to make it relatively portable so I can use it on as many projects as possible. Thus portable rather than sticking it into my normal desktop.

Not familiar with GPIB actually - the specific card I'm using is analog inputs and timing stuff onboard rather than connecting to separate instrumentation.

I'm up in Wisconsin if you think it's worth your time to ship.

That's awesome :) I really want to get an awesome electronics bench one of these days with a decent bench supply, oscilloscope, (pipedream) ENA, waveform generator, DMM etc all controlled by a computer via labview. I think I still have my student edition I got for my signals and systems class, though its probably expired,. I need to find an excuse to build a VI that isn't mostly mathscript-- it looked kinda fun to be honest.

Anyways, I doubt it'll be worth it to ship all the way up there as its a big box and not exactly a feather. I'll check the pricing out to like milwaukee, though.

e: Yeah the cheapest shipping is about 16-17 bucks for fedex and 20/25 for ups/usps resp. Considering a new sugo SG13[B] is all of $40 on amazon for the mesh front ($45 for the solid front, the one I own) the profit i'd get after shipping and paypal if its used is like 5-10 bucks. Not really worth it, ah well. I need to repost my samart ad for a much of poo poo anyways.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Metal files

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Fyi I have a 120mm AIO (radiator maybe 1.5x the thickness of a normal fan), and when I had a mini-970 I had it all in a SG13b. When I got a full size 1070, I could not fit it in at all, though since this was over half a year ago I don't remember what exactly the issue was (I think getting it under the support bar running along the top?). It might work if you basically built the case around the system, but that's too much work for me to care about lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh my, that Corsair case is seriously pinging all of my love buttons. That thing looks absolutely gorgeous! Those triangles are a tiny little thing, but that sort of geometric design is something I would kill a man for to have in my things, definitely on my body in the form of tattoos. But anyways, yeah, something that is bound by a 120mm fan and 240 long radiators will have an absolute minimum volume of ~3.5 cubic decimeters (which are liters). Now, it's obviously a bit bigger than that, but its easy to see how it could be 12L comparing the bounds of the fan and radiators to the actual case. Given we are working in cube space, a quadruple increase in volume would only be around 1 and a half times larger dimension wise, which does make sense. The case does seem to be larger by about half the fan, and half the rad.

oh god that triangle pattern :shlick: