Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What are you shoving into there? Why not a NUC instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
A fanless NUC? You get your choice of i3 - i7 on the latest model. Been deploying these at work in one off scenarios, no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC6i3SYK-BOXNUC6I3SYK-Silver-Black/dp/B018JDP590

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lian-Li knows how to make the weird stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can filter on the review page by being on the particular item then going to the reviews. I agree though, it's a lovely system.

Never knew that. So there are zero reviews for that specific HSF.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zero VGS posted:

Son of a bitch, now they changed my one-day shipping order to "expected to ship Nov 7th" with one-day shipping. Just call it a preorder if you don't physically have them yet, for fucks sake.

That sucks. I'm guessing Amazon will refund your shipping upgrade though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lian Li makes some really decent stuff.

Also, someone get this.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-y6/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Asus VivoMini VM45 takes a 3.5" drive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
NUCs do come with a VESA mount in the box.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
It seems Intel consumer chips have had this poo poo IHS problem for a while now. Your next step up for 8th gen is an i9 for like double price.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Phone posted:

Also, no one makes a 2TB NVMe drive or the monitor I want to replace my two Dell 2412s. :smith:

What's wrong with the 970 Evo? Those go up to 2tb.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What kinda gear are you looking at?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Did passmark update or something and now scores are lower?

I could have swore the i7-3770 was around 9k passmark, now it is showing around 6k.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Did a build for a friend with an ASRock X570M Pro4, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://www.newegg.com/white-grey-cooler-master-masterbox-nr200p-white-small-form-factor-mini-itx/p/N82E16811119404

The White NR200P seems to be in stock at Newegg currently.

I am holding off on building something, but have been staring at this thing.

Edit: Black in stock too.

https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-masterbox-nr200p-small-form-factor-mini-itx/p/N82E16811119403

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't follow the GPU game a ton. How long will Nvidia keep cranking out the FE cards?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VorpalFish posted:

Hahahaha it posts! My unobtanium pc is alive! Now for the hellish task of cable management in this case.

SF750, 5800x, 3080, nr200... I cannot believe I finally collected it all!

Replace the 5800x with a 5900x and you got what I have been thinking about building.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Warmachine posted:

For the lifecycle of the card, if history is any indication.

Do 3rd party cards ever drop cheaper than FE? Or are you just shopping for boost clocks/leds?

In theory, the 3080 FE may be in stock somewhere in a few months?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DrDork posted:

Nope, the FE makes an effective price floor: everything else will be more expensive unless you find one of the cheaper cards with a $50 sale or something. NVidia has yet to discontinue a FE card to my knowledge, so there's no reason to expect that you wouldn't still be able to get one in a few months (I mean, as much as you'll be able to get any 3080, anyhow). Despite the name, they're not being positioned as limited editions or something like that.

Thanks. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled over the next few months.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This seems pretty interesting for a USFF gaming rig for the lazy human.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-to-announce-nuc-11-extreme-beast-canyon-with-tiger-lake-h-and-full-length-discrete-gpu-support

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I've been planning an ITX build around a very hot (backplate) running HP RTX 3090.

Ideally I'd need something with some decent airflow that will hit the backplate (and not a PCI-e riser cable melting on said backplate).

Any ideas on a case?

Was really hoping the Meshlicious would work, but I still unsure.

CPU wise will either be a 5600x (if I build soon) or a Zen 3 CPU if I wait.

Nothing against the Intel 12th gen chips either, but have a 5600x on hand from this HP pre-built. So if Zen 3 sucks or is unavailable, Intel would also be an option.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CyberPingu posted:

NR200 is probably a good candidate for that then I'd say.

That was one of my thoughts, but it doesn't have any front fans to get some fresh airflow going over the backplate.

The Meshlicious was tempting if I put it in 4 slot GPU mode, then do the "standoff mod" thing to push the GPU right up to the mesh. That would give some space for airflow on the back of the card and possibly room for a longer PCI-e riser cable to avoid contact with the backplate.

This thread (and once I realized how bad these thermals are on the HP OEM card) got me worried.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comments/o9aaqn/my_gpu_backplate_fused_with_my_pcie_riser_cable/

Comedy option (but mildly serious), I am already a buttload of money into this, waterblock + active backplate for the GPU?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Butterfly Valley posted:

5600x is Zen 3. The next gen will be Zen 3D.

It was past my bedtime apparently. I was referring to Zen 4 (AM5 socket, 7000 series).

Canna Happy posted:

Sm580 has the best gpu thermals I’ve seen in an itx case.

I'll take a look into this, it wasn't on my radar.

Edit:

This looks pretty nifty.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector2-re-rtx-3080-90-abp-set-d-rgb-nickel-acetal

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 21, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ephphatha posted:

If you run a standard horizontal GPU layout and have the top fans as intake (with side exhaust and the mesh panel) they'll blow straight onto the backplate. Vertical GPU with intake from the bottom and exhaust out the top will also have plenty of airflow over the backplate.

If I do horizontal GPU in the NR200, 2x top fans as intake, I think the CPU cooler will end up blocking most of the airflow across the backplate.

Didn't even think of the vertical position, but the HP OEM 3090 I have should fit without any modification, since the IO shield on it is only 2 slot. That may work, but would have to get creative with the CPU cooling then, as it really limits your options. Something like the Noctua NH-L9x65 should fit, but it would almost be touching that hot rear end backplate.

Some googlin' shows people fitting a top mounted AIO in there, looks like a tight fit (without modifications). I also assume CPU thermals would suffer as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HalloKitty posted:

I was going to suggest the Silverstone DS380 until I got to the last part of your post. I have two of them, and think they're pretty neat. It's really ridiculous how few choices there are.

Did you have to do some fancy/makeshift shroud work to get good airflow over your drives? I remember reading about all this fun a while back.

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VulgarandStupid posted:

Meshilicious. No joke. Someone on Reddit has 3d printer files for a 9 drive NAS.

The drives need to be done in 3s, I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comm...utm_name=iossmf

It's funny, he can wedge 9x 3.5" drives in there, and I went and backed off my planned build of a meshlicious + custom water cooled loop.

Ended up going matx in a fractal design meshify 2 mini. I feel like a sinner.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would be a good idea to find 3600 CL 16 RAM, which will be a bit faster. RAM speed is probably even more important if you plan on heavy integrated GPU use.

And savings to boot!

$90 via the newest egg

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2D3600C16

Or if you require some vitamin d.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) AMD Optimized Desktop Memory Model CMN32GX4M2Z3600C16

Or if you are not hooked on Corsair or the annoying lights

Mushkin Enhanced Redline Stiletto 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model MRF4U360GKKP16GX2

I've been running 4x sticks of RGB RT RGB pairs for a year now, zero problems. Paid like $140/pair back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cygni posted:

yeah i generally use a Shield TV tube when I used to be on the road for extended periods, dont need to pack the remote because of the Shield app on the phone.

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?