Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

My Z270i has a USB 3.1 gen2 port on the inside that's for cases with USB C ports to use, so we're halfway there, but as far as the other half? Not a clue

Edit: Lian-Li does make a cable that would allow you to add a USB C slot to your case if you already have a mobo that supports it

Note this does not require the CASE to support USB C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFF2vujTv4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I had no idea small form factor computers were a thing. If I was looking to spend about 400ish in filthy, useless Canadian dollars on a machine that could realistically do the following:

- Run basic music producing software like FL Studios and not have my beautiful music tracks stutter because I have like, a few samples and some VSTs loaded at the same time.

- Run basic image editing software. Nothing too crazy, just something that won't lag when working with a .pdf file that has more than a few layers

- Run basic games that aren't necessarily graphic heavy. I'm not an intense gamer but poo poo like minecraft shouldn't run at at 12 fps

For context I've been using a broken down HP floor model laptop with a busted screen, loose keys. It's a pathetic situation but I've still manage to produce ART. I just want to do it more efficiently at a reasonable price. What should I be on the lookout for?

Are you near Vancouver or Toronto? At the $400 price point you’re looking at a refurbished office machine and maybe tossing in a low-end GPU for better Minecraft FPS. I mention those two cities since they have computer refurbishment centers for that kind of buying (look up FreeGeek city name). There might be similar in other cities but I’m not aware of them (Montreal should be large enough to have something).