Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

buffbus posted:

I have that case and have not tried a rad that big but I very much doubt it. The case is nearly a perfect cube and if you look up some pictures of it, that front fan is a 200mm and occupies much of the width. A 200x200 could probably fit on the top or front with a little custom work but not a 200x400.

Then you have the Core V1, same as I do, where indeed a 400mm radiator isn't going to fit anywhere. Even to fit a 240mm you'd need to mod it (it's great for 140 or 120mm ones, though).

The Core X1 is this thing, which is much bigger. CTRL-F "radiator support" and it states that it can hold up to a 360mm radiator at the top, and up to 540mm in the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

snuff posted:

No fan filters was an early dealbreaker for me.

You can get the Suppressor F1, then. It's nearly identical but comes with additional filters on the side panels. (Both the V1 and the F1 have filters on the front intake and on the bottom PSU intake.)

I didn't go for it because I didn't like how the front fan intakes from the sides, and unlike the fan filters I couldn't easily fix that one. And since the Suppressor costs about 10€ more (55€ instead of 45€), I figured I'd just put the difference into a couple of cheap filters for the GPU side panels. (Then I ended up just taping some mesh on the inside of the panel, and it turned out totally invisible.)

In any case I agree with necrobobsledder, the V1/F1 is an excellent bang-for-buck choice and should probably be listed in the OP. It's a little bigger than the Sugo S13, but it's less restrictive on component choices and much, much easier to build. Though, if I were building my system today, I'd splurge a little extra for the Node 304 instead (it wasn't available at the time).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If those additional brackets can hold 2x 3.5" drives instead of 4x 2.5" drives - and it would frankly surprise me if they couldn't - then that case would make for a great compact file server. 6x HDDs + 2x SSDs is a crazy amount of storage in such a small space, probably more than consumer-grade miTX mobos and SFX PSUs can support out of the box actually - I've only seen up to 6x SATA ports so far.

Of course, that wouldn't be nearly as crazy as actually putting 4x 2.5" in each bracket as they seem to suggest. You'd need to use a RAID card in the PCI-E slot to even connect them all (assuming a small enough card wouldn't block brackets #4 or #5), rely on plenty of Y-splitters for powering them, and I'm getting boners nightmares just thinking about the cable management.

EDIT: I stand corrected, turns out there are relatively cheap, NAS-oriented Avoton mITX mobos with 12 onboard SATA ports.

EDIT2: Thinking about it, though, I'm afraid 6x HDDs in such a small space without fans actively blowing over them would probably be headed to a fiery death within the short term. I fear that using this case for storage is probably limited to the VERY expensive 12x SSD option. Or you could McGyver some way of sacrificing a few drive slots to fit in a few 80mm fans, kinda like a ghetto blade server.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 7, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Speaking of which, this was a really useful spreadsheet that helped me a lot during the build process:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saNUPX6ycN20R1Yu_lNDPpowTfVwmrQiwHYVNAoZenw/edit?usp=sharing&pref=2&pli=1

I personally chose to go with the ASRock Fat4lity because of a few extra features and better looks, but the z170i pro gaming was indeed my #2 choice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Salted_Pork posted:

Hello friendos,

I was hoping someone here could recommend me a PSU and 2TB HDD, here's the build I'm considering:
Case: Thermaltake Core v1
CPU: Intel i5 6500
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other
1*2 TB HDD for storing games, and audio visual entertainment, plus a myriad of other poo poo

I was looking at a Coolermaster Avanguardisti 80+ Gold Full-Modular 550 PSU, and a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

I'm also interested in comments on my other choices except my GPU, because I've already bought that, especially whether its worth getting a Z mobo to host 3200 Hz RAM when I won't be overclocking. This build will be used to run games like modern games, and a bunch of engineering stuff like solidworks, abaqus, and the like.

Thanks in advance for any help

Overclocked RAM is essentially worthless in real world usage. Get it only if it costs pretty much the same as a basic 2133 MHz stick, otherwise don't bother.

Without CPU overclocking, any 500W or even 450w from a decent brand will do fine. Splurge for modular, though, the Core V1 has plenty of room for the PSU itself but routing cables will still take some finesse.

I'd also recommend splurging for a slightly larger SSD and running your games off of it. The bigger the games, the more they'll benefit from it in terms of loading times. You can easily move them to the HDD when you start playing something else.

WD Blues are fine disks, but if you need plenty of storage in few slots I can heartily recommend getting a Toshiba Canvio 5TB, taking it out of the enclosure, and enjoying a 7200rpm unit at an incredible price per gig. Leave your second 3.5" slot free for further expansion.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

MrMoo posted:

And USB 3.1, all the other Z170 based boards are cheaper than that Asus.

A lot the parts listings I see only spec out 16GB not 32GB which seems a bit strange considering the minimal price difference whilst getting the i7-6700K and a GFX 1080.

You can get the premium ASRock board, it'll have USB 3.1, including a Type C port, and a M.2 port instead of the silly U.2 one. Or you can go with the lower-tier ASUS mobo, same price as the ASRock and it still has USB 3.1 (not Type C though).

The only scenario where I'd actually get a Maximus Impact would be for building a serious overclocking toy, and you sure as hell aren't gonna do that in a DAN case.

As for RAM, very few users will benefit from the extra 16GB, and it's not like you cannot add an extra stick if and when you do.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Salted_Pork posted:

I recently built:

CPU: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte Z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other

And I'm pretty happy with it, but what I've noticed is that the huge fan at the front of the case give me a massive reservoir of cool air between the front of the case and the cpu cooler, but the air behind the cpu cooler is kind of still. My mobo only supports 2 fans (1 cpu, and 1 case), but is there some other way to power two 80 mm fans at the back of the case, to get better air flow?

Most if not all of Arctic's fans have T-shaped fan plugs that are able to daisy-chain together and share a single fan plug (and PWM, where applicable).

I have the same case as yours and I use two F8 Pro PWM for the rear exhaust, they're pretty good fans and cheap, too. Get the ones that are made specifically for exhausting and have screw holes on one side only, they're super silent (they're housed in a flexible rubber structure).

My only complaint is that they're pretty ugly and with the V1 they're in plain sight, unbraided cables and all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

e:nm

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

At a mere 78 degrees? That's some weak sauce OC. Get a higher-binned body.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Usually, if a card extends that long, the last 5mm or so is usually just shroud, and can be shaved down to fit, as the board itself is still reference length.

Also sometimes the listed length includes the video output connectors.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What I'm waiting for is a tiny case that is 120 or 140mm radiator compatible with full size gpu support and multiple mount points for ssds and a 3.5 or two. I actually just gave up on that and just got a corsair 380T which while large, does have plenty of room and stuff lol.

Uhh, depends on what you mean by "full size". For example, the Core V1 and RVZ01 would satisfy all your requirements except for the very biggest AIB cards (I know the Core V1 can fit a Gigabyte GTX1070 G1, and the RVZ01 should stretch a little farther), while being significantly smaller than the 380T.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

japtor posted:

Quick question, what's the system monitor thing of choice these days? I tried Open Hardware Monitor but that didn't seem to support temperature or anything on this chip/board, looks like it was last updated years ago.

HWInfo64.

About your internal 360 dongle, your motherboard should have an unused USB 2.0 connector, you can use that with an internal USB adapter (two-port version, just remove the pci shield) to avoid the clever-but-awkward workaround you came up with.

While you're at that, get a pack of cable ties to help organise them, and an inch of double-sided tape to prevent the dongle from sliding around.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ooh this one is cool, I've been waiting on a case in this form factor since I saw the MSI Vortex pre-built:

http://bottlenext.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLTiMVJAxCM

The white version looks like a trash-can, but they have black and red versions and most interestingly an unpainted version - the lack of edges should make it a pleasure to decorate on your own.

Shame that the thermal design is awful, though. Hard lid instead of a mesh for the top exhaust? Sandwiching the CPU between the GPU and PSU? You're gonna have to install a notebook / blade-server style blower cooler if you don't want your CPU to melt, and that will be real loud. The Vortex had a much smarter design, placing the mobo and the GPUs in a triangle so that they would all dump heat towards the outside instead of on each other.

Their FAQ doesn't exactly inspire confidence though:

quote:

Q: What are the temperatures on full load?
A: Without the lid it stays cool enough to not bottleneck on temperature.

What kind of loving answer is that, which CPU? Which cooler? At which load? :ughh:

quote:

Q: Can “ALL IN ONE” water coolers fit?
A: The Cryorig X31 fits and the Cooler Master Seidon V2

Okay, the first is an air cooler so I have no idea what they're talking about, and the Seidon V2 has 90°-angled plugs on the waterblocks so I cannot imagine how you'd be able to mount it in their case.

So yeah, I de-hyped myself over the course of writing this post. :eng99:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Coredump posted:

I have a Silverstone 450 sfx modular power supply. Where can I get a longer atx 4/8 pin cable?

Contact Silverstone directly. PSU cables are not standardised and you cannot simply plug in third-party cables.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

How does the V1 hold up with two 80mm fans on the back? When I upgrade my Node 304 it's one I'm looking at.

Pretty well I think? You have the front fan, the CPU cooler (whether a tower or radiator), and the 80mm exhausts all lined up in a row. The CPU is laid down horizontally and is surrounded by plenty of rooms..

But I'm surprised that you're considering this an "upgrade"; I'd say that the Node 304 is generally superior to the Core V1 in everything except price and ease of access, and possibly aesthetics. If it's cooling you care about, the Node may have worse airflow but it's more than made up for by the ability to mount a 240mm radiator without modding.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Do you mean 140mm? I'm struggling how you could mount a 240mm in this case.

Oh, nevermind, I must have confused it with a different shoebox-type case - I'm positive there's one that lets you mount a 240mm radiator on the top side, I thought it was Fractal Design's.

Looking it up, the Node 304 still supports 2x92mm radiators, which are slightly better than the Core V1's options (1x140mm max, and you might need to remove the front fan if it's a thick radiator and you want push/pull).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My Core V1 came in and... I guess it looks nice and seems well constructed. It doesn't seem that much smaller than my BitFenix Prodigy if you subtract those weird handles, though. I guess it's not as long? Though that's the least important dimension to me. At least it fits under my desk better than the Prodigy

Yeah, it's definitely one of the bigger mITX cases. That kind of cases (Core V1, Prodigy, Sugo) are meant for you to save space without having to compromise on power or features - you can run liquid cooling, full-sized GPUs and PSUs, several mechanical drives, etc. all while keeping good airflow and easy access. You buy them because you don't need anything bigger, more than because you actively want to go small.

I don't know what your system specs are, you may or may not have been able to get away with a smaller case like the popular Raven or Node 202. You sort of mentioned wanting to overclock your CPU, if you do the low-profile cooler required by slim cases would significantly reduce your maximum achievable clock, for example. Again, I don't know how much you care about that as opposed to saving (under-)desk space.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Also, which mobo is better? The ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming ITX, or the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming?

The ASRock is probably better in the abstract, but you need to look at the features your specific use case calls for. Bookmark this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saNUPX6ycN20R1Yu_lNDPpowTfVwmrQiwHYVNAoZenw/edit#gid=0

For example, I doubt you care at all about 6 SATA ports instead of 4, but you might care about having a Type-C USB port (ASRock) vs. having Bluetooth 4.1 support (Asus).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Also antenna attachments are standard, so if the bundled antenna doesn't work well you can replace it. I didn't like the one that came with my asrock mobo (i mean aesthetically, performance was fine) so I got a pair of bunny ears for like 15€. If you have bad reception you can get some humongous ones, perhaps they help.

Some motherboards also have the wifi card mounted on a mini pcie port, so you can upgrade it or replace it if it breaks, although neither scenario is particularly likely.

USB WiFi adapters will always work regardless.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Or, you know, get her another laptop? Desktops, including even the tiniest of SFF builds, mostly exist to support large screens and/or high performance. If you don't need either, there's basically no reason not to go mobile.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 9, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

IDK, I'd totally buy a stupid gimmick case if I had the cash to spare. And I think the yacht one is legitimately beautiful.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Photex posted:

it's big in all the wrong places.

mlym

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you want to have to flip your computer over every time you need to plug or unplug something?

How often do you need to plug or unplug power, monitor, ethernet, and keyboard/mouse? Most cases have USB plugs near the front for the stuff you will actually plug/unplug on the reg.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/galax_create_a_single_slot_gtx_1070_gpu/1

Single-slot 1070. Could be interesting?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new NAS/VM host build. It will likely be an i5 6500, in a Fractal Node 304 case, with at least 5x HDD + an SSD.

Whilst I've found a few mITX motherboards which have 6x SATA ports (e.g. the ASRock C236 WSI or Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM), the prices are high and the selection is limited. Would I be better off getting a motherboard with less built-in SATA ports, and then buy a separate SATA controller card?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5552#sp

6x SATA + 1x M.2 connectors. $114 on Newegg. It's even a dual-LAN model, which might be useful for a file server.

I don't think cheap mobo + PCI-E SATA controller is going to save you much money, at least not enough to be worth the hassle.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

japtor posted:

I have that board, one thing to keep in mind is the orientation of the SATA ports. Most are on the edge facing sideways (parallel to the board), so if things are tight in front that might be an issue, like if the drives are placed right there. In my Ncase the PSU is right up against the ports so they're useless.

Good point. Judging by pictures of a Node 304, assuming he gets a full-size PSU, it would be a really tight fit. Angled cables could help but may not be enough. On the other side, if he gets a SFX power supply, then he'd have plenty of space.

I can say I have the ASRock Z170 Gaming which actually does have 6 perpendicular SATA ports (plus M.2), but it's a little more expensive and would be a bit of a waste for a NAS.

Edit: by sheer coincidence the picture I linked features another 6-perpendicular-port mobo :v:. The article doesn't say what it is, but it's a 1155 DDR3 model apparently made by Zotac - didn't even know they made mobos.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 2, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a Core V1 with an embedded (Atom) Braswell Celeron ASRock board (which uses vertical SODIMMs!) as a home server and it works great. Definitely don't need the space it provides for a big CPU cooler or GPU, but I like the 2x 2.5" + 2x 3.5" bays and I can get by with just the included front 200mm fan since the Celeron is passively cooled.

If you didn't already know, since you're using neither a GPU nor an aftermarket CPU cooler you can just screw additional hard drives to the perforated side panels and get 3 or 4 extra "bays" that way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

What's with the massive heat sinks on gaming motherboards? I don't overclock so maybe I'm missing something, but that seems mega useless. It seems even weirder when it's on a mITX motherboard where space is at a premium. If you actually want to be mITX gaming oriented, wouldn't you try to be as unobtrusive as possible?

Heatsinks don't take up any extra space, as by definition they sit on top of the components.

Now whether the heatsink is actually useful or just a placebo / decoration depends on the component in question.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Oh neat, Thermaltake finally scrounged up $500 for a logo that wasn't made in MS Word '97. Next time I buy a case from them I might not have to rip off the brand anymore.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The original logo is like my favorite logo :(

I still don't get why people are ripping it off the front of the Core V1, it's a cool buzzsaw for crying out loud.

The buzzsaw isn't irredeemably bad. The godawful, off-centre, cheapskate Arial Italic lettering in the middle of it is.

If you like those proportions, colours and composition, you have objectively bad taste and I will challenge you to a mechanical keyboard swashbuckling duel over it.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

On the international layout it's AltGr+m, as one would expect.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

A SilverStone DS380 8-bay ITX case (21L) and 300W SFX power supply is about the same price as the NSC-810 (17L) alone. SFX power supplies also have room for relatively big, quiet fans compared to FlexATX.

That case has awful cooling issues that will kill your hard drives. I'd only consider it for a pure SSD build.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Nothing like winning a freaking design award by repackaging the 1990s desktop form factor :allears:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

A sort of interesting new ITX case release:

Basically an A4 with tempered glass sides and double the volume. Much larger but can fit a lot more stuff.

Why keep the GPU vertical when it's going to get its intake fans choked by the glass panel? :thunk:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Does anybody have a Thermaltake Core P1 and care to comment on it? I'm moving house and I'd like to transfer my ITX build from its current Core V1 to a wall mount. The reviews for the P1 are pretty good and it's within my budget.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 22, 2019

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is the TTake Core P1 still the only game in town for wall-mount cases that don't cost a kidney?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I was looking at the XProto cases in fact, so thank you so much for your report! (Currently undecided between an open case and a DIY wall mount following this guide)

You mentioned that the L supports AIO cooling, I currently have a pretty small system (Arctic Cooling 120), do you think it would fit well or just about as well as ATX PSUs i.e not very?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Not sure if it's the right thread for it, but I want to make a HTPC for watching (4K) video and also doubling as my home server. Nextcloud, Jellyfin, and Matrix would be its heaviest tasks.

Would a J5040 board be a good pick? It's fanless, has all the ports I need (4x SATA, HDMI 2.0, SPDIF), and while officially limited to 8GB users report that it can run up to 16GB no problem.

Seems a much better bang for my buck compared to e.g. an i3/Ryzen with a fanless cooler, as long as the Pentium isn't like, hilariously underpowered, or has known issues with HW acceleration for video transcoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a budget alternative to the Sliger Cerberus?

My requirements are:

- ATX PSU (but ITX motherboard is OK)
- Full-sized GPU
- At least 1x 3,5" HDD, ideally 2

That kills the Meshlicious unfortunately, since it only mounts HDDs with a SFF GPU.

Cerberus + brackets etc. comes up to like 250€, so I might as well buy a cheaper case and a new SFX PSU instead.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 12, 2022