Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I thought about backing the DAN case, but I'd rather save money and get a N-CASE M1 much faster.

Speaking of the N-CASE M1, is there any sort of consensus as to what CPU fan to get? I'm not even sure if I want to go air-cooling or watercooling.

All the reviews and a lot of the documentation mentions water cooling so I fit my M1 with a 240mm aio water cooler. Kind of overkill; too loud for my tastes and there was a subtle vibration going through my desk thanks to it so I sold the fucker. Currently using a Noctua NH-D9L - runs almost as cool and is virtually silent.

Tl;dr: water cooling is for mugs (with very niche exceptions)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SlayVus posted:

I've seen dozens of pictures online of people saying they just picked up the case and the glass just shattered. I've seen a few of saying, "didn't even touch it." Then I've seen the I was putting it back on and it shattered while tightening the thumb screws. Obviously the last one is user error. My problem with TG is that the system is no longer closed, they leave gaps between the TG and frame. Following that up, you're going to have to make the case positive pressure and be diligent in keeping the TG clean.

it's probably a pretty even split between people not knowing how to handle anything, and said thing being built as cheaply as possible. i'm not crying too much over people who think case windows look good getting their hands sliced up tho

kloa posted:

Just don't install 3rd party software? :shrug:

it's first party software. you need it to use the thing that you bought

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Olivil posted:

Was really interested in building a console-sized i7/1080ish rig in a couple of months but being really concerned with cooling and noise (especially as I plan to put it on my desk) I'm thinking of going full on with a Define Nano S with a full liquid cooling loop.

I've never done custom liquid cooling, only AIO, what are good sources to catch up to the currently available market?

Other cases suggestion? I think the Define Nano S is very nice (it would replace my Define R4 so I know what to expect) but a tad wide for a Mini-ITX.

i owned a define nano s for some time. it's a great case and incredibly quiet, but it's not even approaching console sized. it's closer sized to a micro atx tower. i'm not much of a water cooling guy but i think there's ample room for you to put in a custom loop; anything smaller is likely to get a hell of a lot more fiddly.

honestly if you're concerned about noise air cooling is still the way to go. i ran an aio liquid setup on my desk for a bit and i could definitely feel pump vibration and hear pump noise. conversely the nano s with the noctua 90mm tower cooler (i had an ncase m1 originally hence the small cooler, you can fit a massive cpu cooler in the nano s) and the msi armor 1070 (so decent cooling on both counts but nowhere close to best in class) was virtually silent, even running an overclocked i7. utility wise it's a great case, just make sure you check how big it is as it's not really a console sized thing you can pick up under your arm and seclude away.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ughhhh posted:

I thought the m1 had a dual chamber layout?

i owned one. it doesn't. no room

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I should clarify that the Nano S and open cooler 1080 Ti works fine as long as you don't increase the power limit over 100%, it gets a bit toasty but stays under 80C with a reasonable fan curve. I don't have an SFX PSU either so if you have one of those you'd probably get a better result due to the limited clearance.

yeah i ran an overclocked open cooler 1070 in mine and didn't really encounter any temp issues. motherboard died within a year though, which i suspect was due to only having one intake fan and consequently very little airflow over it. sold the rest of the parts and bought a mac mini. can't play any games from this decade but i needed to catch up on my reading anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 29, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I have that motherboard in an In-Win IW-MS04

just googled this and it looks so exactly like an hp microserver gen8 that it's almost suspicious. might pick one of these up if i want to supercharge my nas situation