Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

wipeout posted:

I'm impressed with the Asus z170i pro gaming board.
I just used one for a mitx build intended for vr and work, and would recommend it.
I was not sure I would care for the separate wireless antenna, but I was happy to find out it fold flat and has a magnet to sick it to the case.
I would say the build quality makes it worth the extra :10bux:

I'll need to play around more with the over clocking stuff. I turned it off because I was getting the occasional hard lock, but I think I narrowed it down to video drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Did somebody take a look at the fractal node and decide that it was too good?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

One downside to passive cooling is that you will be keenly aware of any coil whine.

E: ahhh posting this made me notice a buzz coming from my light switch :suicide:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 27, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ijyt posted:

Might just get a T1 after all.
*Sigh* I was perfectly content never touching water cooling before seeing this case. My Node 404 is looking downright huge to me now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DrDork posted:

if ... brown coloring isn't a concern
I like the brown. I just wish there was a case the complimented the color palette.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How much power consumption does that build work out to and what would be a more reasonable target for that setup?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

same efficiency rating.
Same efficiency rating at the same load though?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Coredump posted:

At this rate computers will be gpus with a cpu, ram, mobo module you add to them.
Well I was considering going the thunderbolt e-gpu docking station route....

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

My only hard requirement is to avoid RGB wherever possible. I find it distracting and tacky and don't like it. I tolerate it on my mouse but don't really want it anywhere else in my setup.
The best part about programmable rgb is that you can turn it off.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe the wrong thread for this, but given the recent posts about HTPCs and streaming destinations—I’m looking to get a torrenting box for legally sharing media, one that takes up a minimum of room and fuss vs my existing tower PC, is my best bet still to go with a $80-110 preowned USFF Optiplex/etc office PC eBay special?
I think this will depend on how many TB of free open source isos you plan to seed? Hanging multiple external drives off of a usff case gets messy real fast.

Depending on scale, the fractal 304 is easy to build in without much consideration for special small form factor components and can fit 6 drives.

E: oh, it's that case posted above with the short video card.

It can fit a long video card if you pay attention to PSU size and are willing to sacrifice 2 drive mounts.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think that may have broke me of my itch to try and build a sub 10L pc. I think the main complaint I have with my node304 is the desk space it takes up. I could probably be happy with that more vertical layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You can add Node304 to that list. 19 Liters and fits a big tower cooler and six 3.5" drives or four with a long video card.

E: Oops missed the aio requirements