Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I cannot wait for the IO version of this case, but calling it a DAN clone just because it’s a sandwich layout is kind of lame. It’s had a lot of thought put into it and the adjustable frame to fit 3-slot cards is such a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What do y’all do with your ATX stuff after downsizing? I’ll be doing a total system replacement but don’t really know what to do with the rest of the gear. Can you even get Z97 boards still? I could maybe see myself dumping my ATX board to have a secondary ITX system but not really sure what I’d use it for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow yeah that is more than I expected.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Honestly he's the only tech YouTuber who does dedicated SFF content. I don't think I've seen any other major channels doing what he does. They're all rainbow puke gamer channels.

Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid do great technical content, but they're not SFF focused like OT.

His channel was a godsend when I first started researching poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NXraJiJsU

My Ncase looks like it's going to be fine until I get this thing on water.

I'm real tempted with an Ncase or the CoolerMaster NR200 until the FormD P1 is real.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

buglord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgZXh_p_NA

Silverstone you had one job with updating the SG-13 :smith:

Good god the SG15.

e: No SFX bracket!?!?!?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 5, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The NR200 / P honestly seems the way to go if you can find one, or the NCase M1 if price is no issue. I’m tempted to get one myself until the FormD case comes out but I can just throw an ITX board in my 750D for now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm still kinda dubious of the FE style in sandwich cases tbh. I'd rather go for an AIB if I were going for case like that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

You can't. The FE is the only card that's strictly sticking with the two-slot height limit. You might be able to wedge a ASUS TUF or EVGA XC3 in there, as they're only slightly taller, but any other AIB is far too big for that case.

It's a 3-slot case.

Hence the 3090 that fit in there. IDK what 3090 AIBs are like size wise but I should have clarified that I was talking about the 3080 in my post, my b.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I might be just dumb but I’ve been struggling to find comparisons of the NR200 and NR200P. Is there much of a difference in thermals between the two, because if not I might just buy whichever comes back in stock first.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sphyre posted:

They're the same case. The P comes with a tempered glass side panel (in addition to the normal vented side panel), riser cable for vertically mounted GPU setups, and an additional 120mm fan for the top exhaust

I know, I’m wondering about the difference in thermals between the vented panel and the glass one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I actually had no idea the NR200P came with both vented and glass panels, good to know!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Internal layout looks basically identical to the CoolerMaster NR200P

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

hmm yes it does. Thanks.

Also just found out via Razer support that their itx is shipping worldwide come november so might hold off.

Hnnngg, that being said. That CM box is nice

I do like the sharp lines of the Razer though, but woof that price. That's entering MCase and FormD territory.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I dunno, I feel you'd be better off with the NR200 and a lightstrip, the Razer case is still steel, at that price I'd be hoping for aluminium.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Power supplies can last quite a while--Corsair's come with a 7-year warranty IIRC. It's almost the one part you can do that with.

Hell my AX760 came with a 10 year warranty. It's currently on year 7 of it's life.

CyberPingu posted:

Since there's no definitive date that the NR200p will be back in stock in the UK does anyone have any other suggestions?

Basically it just needs to be large enough to house a 320mm GPU. And preferably not a cube. I also have a motherboard that's not got a vertical GPU mount

Man, you're just 3mm too long for an NCase M1 :(

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 13, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SFF people, how do you handle multiple fans on an ITX board? The X570-I from ASUS has 3 headers (CPU, Pump, Chassis). I'm gonna go google this but is there anything BIOS related that might affect the pump header like having it run at 100% RPM, or is it just labeling and they're all the same. My next build is probably going to have 4-6 fans depending on space constraints, two on the heatsink, and two intake at a minimum. If I can, an extra 1-2 as exhaust fans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Aight, that all sounds good! Thanks dudes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

amazon isn't giving me that option in their little return wizard, probably because it's not a great move to leave packages sitting on your porch here, sadly. hopefully by the end of january we're either over our inevitable second wave of covid or so in-the-midst-of-it i can convince amazon to grant an extension, though

silly question, but just to clarify: I'm getting a Noctua U9S, which sits on a CPU like this and, as far as I know, doesn't rotate:

given it's gonna be pulling air from the front and venting out the back (I guess??), would it be best to get front/rear fans to go with that, or will this be powerful enough on its own that its a non-issue unless I really want to optimize temperatures?

I'd say go with the NH-U12A, and two bottom intake fans for an NR200 set up. Check the video below at 9:29, the H210 has a 165mm clearance so plenty of room for the U12A. If you're going with the H210 at the moment, set up two front intake fans for whatever airflow you can get out of those narrow side channels.

Wouldn't really need an exhaust fan with the NH-U12A, as the gap between the two fans would probably be quite small and just introduce noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSUK7p9qQnU&t=569s

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moey posted:

https://www.newegg.com/white-grey-cooler-master-masterbox-nr200p-white-small-form-factor-mini-itx/p/N82E16811119404

The White NR200P seems to be in stock at Newegg currently.

I am holding off on building something, but have been staring at this thing.

Edit: Black in stock too.

https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-masterbox-nr200p-small-form-factor-mini-itx/p/N82E16811119403

Almost ordered that when I saw a UK option, until I realised they still ship from the US and it basically doubled the price, noooope.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Hey, the hard part is done at least, unless you're also searching for a 3080.

Little old me looking to get an NR200, 3080 FE, 5900X, and SF750.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm also strongly considering the ASUS Crosshair Impact over the Strix X570-I just for that flashback (and admittedly better organised cable terminations).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Check (tempered glass version of course), check, not sure yet but I am waiting for the reviews, says 10/26 for the warehouse to actually get which would be fine.

I'm not super worried about the case and PSU, as I've got my full tower and ATX one to use in the meantime, but lordy do I wish I had the 3080 in-hand so I wouldn't have two recently released components to worry about.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Cheers,

Im torn on what to put in it.

I currently have a H100i SE 280mm AIO, so if i put that in i would probably have 2 exhaust at the top. Then potentially put the fans that came with the case on the bottom, or one on the bottom and 1 on the rear (bottom one as intake, rear as outtake).

The other option is to use the AMD Ryzen stock cooler and just have the two fans one exhaust on top and 1 rear

Honestly I'm just gonna be waiting for the Chromax NH-U12A with some intake fans at the bottom, should work really nicely with an FE 3080.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SFF thread, I don’t know if I want the ASUS Strix X570-I or the Crosshair VIII Impact. Both cases I want to get support miniDTX (NR200 definitely, FormD P1 likely). The Crosshair has some neat features, like the SO-DIMM.2 board throwing NVMe in the path of airflow for better cooling, better arrangement of power connectors and headers, Type-C front header cable and BIOS flashback (which will be handy for me not having a Zen2 CPU).

It’s about a £90 price difference between the X570-I and the Impact, but I’m torn. The place I plan to get the board and CPU from said they’re happy to flash the BIOS before shipping, and both boards have the same VRM setup.

I’m pretty :psyduck: at the ASUS B550 board having the Type-C internal connector but not the X570.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You bet your rear end I'm taking photos of an ITX board in a full tower case because I can't get an NR200.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

You can....you just need to pay £60 for shipping and import charges like me because I'm a loving mug

I was getting ram from newegg and trust me I was tempted, but not £140 for a steel case tempted. I'm not making that mistake again.

e: Wait wtf its £104 not £140, thats honestly what I'll end up paying with shipping from a UK seller, gently caress I just might.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah I'd say the tempered glass panel you'd have to stick within the recommended height - the vented panel can flex a little but it's still hit or miss.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had more AIOs fail on me than air coolers. Bring on the black NH-U12A.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think in terms of my plans of getting a 3080 FE (lol), two bottom 12x25's and a Noctua NH-U12A will be the best combo for the NR200.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vigil for Virgil posted:

When is the U12a chromax supposed to be out?

I'm torn between that and the Scythe.

Q1 2021, they have a roadmap on their site but not sure how often they update it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Is it worth paying almost double for the Noctua over the Scythe? I can't find anything to justify it or is it just Noctua is a more well known brand?

I don't think so, I think the Fuma 2 and NH-U12A are pretty much on par for noise and performance.

e: Decided to say gently caress it and order the NR200P from Newegg as I saw it shipping from the UK and :negative:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 24, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

I've been following this project's development for a while, and I am all around impressed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fznalm/winter-one

Nice but not at that price, drat.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jink posted:

I really like that Winter One case...

Not sure why we have a response of 'too expensive'? The case that I showed https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post508776349 was well over $350... and I've been using it for over 7 years.

My point is; a well designed case can certainly be worth the money and last you a long, long time.

It's surprising to me how quick the community will jump on $1000+ video cards that last 3-5 years but a case is a 'no'?

Because I can buy a £80 case and put the remaining £260 into more useful hardware?

rarbatrol posted:

That said, I think I'm going to hold off though, since there's another project I've been following and I enjoy the aesthetics of if just a little bit more. I guess I'm a fan of mesh more than the "panel full of holes" look.

Also this.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 29, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Some of the 10 year old Antec cases would be fine to build in, with the exception of those that can’t handle large video cards. Kind of sad to see a brand that was considered one of the best evolve so little, though.

Probably the biggest changes are more ventilation, rear motherboard cut outs for swapping CPU/coolers and NVME, accommodations for larger video cards, cable management channels, and less room allotted for drives as we move away from optical disks and even 3.5” drives. It is almost embarrassing how little has changed in 30 years. We are still mostly on ATX.

You just gave me a little nostalgia about seeing all those Antec 900 and CoolerMaster HAF X builds :allears:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The T1 is gorgeous and I’m super tempted, but I want to wait to see more from the P1.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Nothing wrong with your partner having a wide turning radius, just be sure to check the mirrors before backup up and watch for folks passing on the right.

I think $230 is decidedly average for SFF. Things like the NR200 are the "budget" end, though the NR200 is definitely a winner for price/value proposition.

I do kinda want a T1, but I need to finish my Ncase first. Getting close: EK has shown what the 3080 FE blocks look like.

O gently caress.

e: The shortness of that might actually solve the main issue I had with T1 watercooling, lack of space for a proper DDC pump + small res combo.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 1, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

Speaking of, what are people's general thoughts on the small combo units, like these https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Pump-Reservoir/Hydro-X-Series-XD3-RGB-Pump-Reservoir-Combo/p/CX-9040003-WW instead of the larger colum based ones?

They seem pretty neat, Optimum Tech featured a similar one that's also the CPU block:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIWgKmwr68

I think it's a pretty great idea for super compact builds, but I'd have to really trust the seals on it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

Is... is that not what it's supposed to be?

I think it’s just an edgy G, for Gaming of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tyro posted:

Nice, HappyCapybaraFamily, Glad you got it working.

So I have a Cougar QBX, which is a really great case for the money. I have a new PSU and RTX3070 on the way so I've been considering getting a smaller case at the same time.

Everything I can find is either barely smaller and therefore not really worth the $/effort, or crazy expensive, which is hard to justify when my current case is fine. I've looked at the ncase m1, nr200, Thor, Dan case, louqe, Sliger sm570.

I currently have 1x 3.5" drive and 2x 2.5" SSD, that 3.5" drive bay is really limiting my options but I don't really want to ditch it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Looks good!

My recommendation is if you’re happy with your current case, don’t change it, otherwise the NR200 is the no brainer when it comes to price. The main issue with SFF cases for a while has been that they’re cheap and crap, expensive and good, or in too many cases (like the Circle Pro), expensive and crap.