Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The Corsair SF450 and SF600 look like they're real good, based on the reviews. Anecdotes from forums also claim they don't have the problems that some of the Silverstone models have where the fan rapidly trying to switch between passive and active mode due to being right on the temperature threshold makes a weird ticking noise. Also the ML08B is about as good as the RVZ02 and some people might prefer it visually; it's also pretty well filtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm using a Prodigy right now :( I guess I understand the complaints though, it basically takes up the same footprint as an ATX tower so there's no real estate savings there.

I definitely want to change that for my next build though, and I'm looking at the SilverStone ML08B. Any reports on that? It looks nice and small and doesn't look like it should be a trouble to build in if I use a modular PSU. I've heard some wariness about the lack of fans, but also that it stays pretty cool regardless because of the case design itself? I probably would just be using a 1070 and stock CPU cooler, no overclocking or anything

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at as well. The big thing for me was that the non-windowed version has fully filtered intakes and the reviews I've seen put it as having better airflow than the Node 202. It's not mentioned a lot, but if the GPU you use is shorter than about 200-210mm there's mounting holes for a 2.5"/3.5" drive in there, but for me it's only ten bucks to switch to a 2.5" HDD and probably get a quieter computer.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

particle9 posted:

From what I can tell it's a lot less packed than the rvz01 or ftz01. I am just going to keep my 1tb ssd and a 6tb WD 3.5" drive for files. A lot of the super small cases (Node 202) don't have any room for a 3.5" drive. I just want it to fit in my TV console eventually.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/hd-media-console/s339688

I mean, it's great there are this many options.

The SG13b is too meshy for what I'm looking for. The FTZ01 is really the closest thing I've seen so far. If the Node 202 could fit a larger HDD I would buy that.

The RVZ02 and ML08 fit a 3.5" drive but only if your GPU is less than about 200-210mm long.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Baldrash posted:

So I'm looking to build a mini-ITX machine to replace my six-year old ATX beast, but the last machine I've built entirely from scratch was that one, so I'm out of the loop on what mini-ITX can do these days.

I'm rather taken with the form factor of the Node 202 and RVZ02, but I wanted to go with a i5 6600K/GTX 1070 build with a little overclocking. The reviews I've found are kind of mixed on whether or not it'll actually work out alright, but I'm not sure exactly how much cooler the current generation of parts runs compared to the previous gen stuff most reviewers stuck in them when those cases came out.

If cooling is actually a concern, would one of those acctually suffice, or should I instead focus on a slightly larger case like the Fractal Core 500 or the Define Nano S that'll allow me to utilize a full-sized CPU cooler and provide enough slots for fans? The Ncase M1 looks basically perfect, but I'm having trouble justifying three times the cost over the other cases I've been looking at.
An RVZ01(/ML07/FTZ01) would be almost the same form factor while trading a bit of thickness for fan mounts and cooler clearance. It should also be about the same price.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The field is mostly corsair and silverstone, and the corsair sf450 looks pretty great if that's how much power you need, but I'm not as 100% sure with the higher rated ones.