Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Number of fans is not really a good benchmark because two larger ones can be just as effective at lower RPM. The high-end models with 3 fans usually also come with a huge heatsink that frequently doesn't fit into SFF cases. On the other hand, tiny coolers with 3 fans might still be annoyingly loud if built poorly.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the point of using version numbering if you reset the numbers even retroactively every new release :psyduck:

USB 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.2 for the different Gbps variants would have been absolutely fine and clear so I guess that would have been too easy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I hit the trigger earlier,

- Dan A4 Case from Overclockers.co.uk
- Silverstone SFX-L V2.0 500W
- Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm

The things I still need to figure out,

- Low Profile RAM. The 120MM Heatsink may not fit unless I use low profile, very low profile or ultra low profile memory. Finding this is incredibly difficult.

- Custom Cables. All of the shorter custom Dan A4 Power Supply cables are sold out.

- Additional case fans. I'll build the system out and see if they're needed.

- CPU Heatsink fan direction. Exhaust or Intake?

- Motherboard clearance. I may have to do some careful modification of rear IO Cover.

Reality posted:

Corsair vengeance LPX works if you use the stock blackridge fan or NF-A9x14. You’ll have to import ultra low profile ram for a 120mm fan.

As long as you don’t plan on filling the space under the PSU with SSDs or HDDs or fans you can shove PSU cables in there.

I have a NF-A9x14 under my motherboard as exhaust and the cpu fan as intake. I had a 20c drop (80c to 60c) during a stress test from my initial cpu fan as exhaust install. I cannot add/remove the case fan unless I take apart my entire computer but the V4 might be better. Everything fit fine on my asrock z390 board with no modifications.

Canna Happy posted:

I don't think you're going to be able to fit a fan under a sfx-l psu in the dan. I'd personally go with an sfx unit.
Yeah it only requires VLP RAM if you want to use a 120mm fan underneath the Black Ridge, with a 92mm fan you can use normal low profile RAM like Crucial Ballistix Sport or Corsair LPX etc. With that it's going to be about on par with other SFF coolers like the Noctua NH-L9 or the LP-53 (is that still being made?).

An SFX-L PSU leaves no room for HDD/SSD/fan underneath the PSU, although in my experience a fan there doesn't really do much even with a smaller SFX unit because it will have a ton of cables in the way of airflow. You will not have much room for cable management with the SFX-L PSU either, so the custom cables are probably "required" (good luck!).

A fan under the mainboard mostly helps with airflow over the VRM/RAM I think. I only have a V2 so it has room if I bend the 3M riser harder, but no mounting holes and I wasn't going to disassemble everything again to try. IIRC most cooler tests in the A4 have shown that CPU coolers blowing onto the CPU/mainboard are better than configurations where the cooler was trying to exhaust air. If you add a fan shroud (3d print, cardboard, etc.) it gets even better because that avoids recycling warm air from inside the case. And if you're still not happy with temperatures at that point, removing the I/O shield will let air exhaust more easily.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

drat it.

Is it possible to have two fans on the bottom as exhaust?
You can do that but it's not going to help much. You'll also have to raise the case higher than the default feet to do more than produce noise. I'd honestly start without case fans and only add them if you have unreasonably high temperatures you can't or don't want to handle differently (common options: fan shroud / open I/O panel / TDP limit / undervolting / delidding).

The current SFX PSUs like the Corsair SF series are inaudible over the CPU / GPU fans under load, and should mostly stay quiet while the PC is idle because the fan doesn't have to run in the first place, so a 120mm fan wouldn't help at all. The SF 600 Platinum should be plenty and you get sleeved cables with it, which are a bit too long for the A4 but the SFX PSU leaves room to hide them. You could still use custom cables if you can source them later.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There was an optional window panel during one of the earlier releases of the case, but the thermals were significantly worse with it. Not sure if it's still being made.

Are you using a blower cooler GPU? Those always have terrible acoustics under load.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have you worked out which fans are loud enough to be annoying you? If it's the GPU or PSU, don't expect a real improvement.

I recently switched my A4 CPU fan (the single 92mm/15mm fan that came with the NH-L9a-AM4) to a quieter fan curve in the BIOS and the computer is virtually silent until the GPU fans turn on.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was pretty obvious from just looking at the case. The interior is kind of a mess IMO. It looks neat from the outside but with just the tiny perforated areas in the side panels and the bottom cover you won't really get a lot of air through that case, the PSU is oriented in a way that will make it heat up the interior too (and recycle warm air for itself) and for a radiator to be of any use you have to remove the nice looking top panels. This really needs a revision to compete with those optimized SFF cases, considering the price.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The guy in the YouTube video did that and only got reasonable temperatures when he also removed the bottom shell I think.

German testers said the pretty tops also completely choke radiators, requiring the perforated top cover (ruining part of the look) and another German website tried air cooling and said the 80mm fan is completely inadequate but using the perforated top cover with a 120mm fan venting out of the top works fine for the CPU.

So the stylish tempered glass or wood panels on top are completely unsuitable for cooling the CPU and the bottom design is terrible for GPU cooling in general. I guess you could cool low power stuff in there if you don't like the look of or think computers shouldn't be as small as an Asrock DeskMini (with eg. a Ryzen APU).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The creator of the case even says that the fan below the mainboard will not help cooling the CPU but that it can help with RAM/VRM temps. I'm not surprised the spot below the PSU didn't help either, because that was my experience too.

I used Noctua's NF-A9x14 (slightly higher static pressure, obviously lower airflow than the NF-A12x15) in my Dan on two different CPUs and they always ran virtually silent at like 1100 rpm in idle, that's normal for low profile coolers in this case. The DAN's 50 mm clearance is just not enough room for heatsinks to dissipate a lot of heat, so fans will have to run at high RPM unless you're using low-power CPUs or "notebook" settings, like a very low long-term TDP. That's just the nature of these tiny SFF boxes: Small/silent/powerful, pick two :)

That said, if you're not happy with the mainboard's BIOS- or software utility for fan speeds, I think people use Argus Monitor to customize fan curves nowadays.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Get the Asetek 92mm CLC and be done with it.
The exact same 92mm fan cooling the radiator isn't going to spin much slower, if at all.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

How much would using a radiator for cooling help with noise levels?

orcane posted:

The exact same 92mm fan cooling the radiator isn't going to spin much slower, if at all.
Compared to your 120mm low profile fan, not much. You're restricted to low-profile 92mm fans on the AIO and the location is not optimal, the space above it is going to be full of cables (now you REALLY want custom cables):

Since the fan is focused on just cooling heat from the CPU in the radiator, it can probably run a wee bit slower. On the other hand there will also be pump noise and now you don't have airflow around the CPU socket (VRM, RAM, possibly NVMe) so that 92mm fan below the mainboard has to stay and run too.

That's specifically for the DAN A4 in default setups. There's an optional bracket to fit a 120mm AIO (requires an SFX PSU, not SFX-L, and a short ITX GPU) that would be slightly better I guess. Also, some people jury-rigged the case to fit even larger AIOs but then you're looking at extensive modding of the case and attaching stuff externally (eg. the PSU or radiator).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Realistically that's the only way if a Noctua NF-A12x15 is supposedly too loud.

A 120mm tower cooler (eg.) (requires an even bigger case tho) or a 240mm radiator is simply going to handle modern CPUs better and as long as you use sensible BIOS settings for the CPU they will not need their fans at 100% speed. Although I built several computers with the DAN A4 by now and it's usually the GPU that determines how loud the computer gets - with the CPU you simply tweak the fan curve and TDP/OC settings so the NF-A9x14 can keep it reasonably cool. Even at 2500 rpm the fan is not "jet engine" loud but a lot of 2-slot GPUs actually are.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if there is something wonky with the thermal sensors or CPU, I can already tell you that a 92mm low profile fan will not cool a 65W CPU (even delidded) at 1200 rpm under load. Maybe if you drastically cut the CPU's TDP to Ultrabook levels. The NF-A9x14 is great for what it achieves but a 92 mm low profile fan is still tiny and there's a reason the one they sell with the NH-L9a/i coolers goes up to 2500 rpm (regular A9x14 PWM goes up to 2200). 1000-1200 rpm is the speed at which my DAN A4 with Ryzen 2700X idles. It's hardly perceptible at this rpm in my setup so either your fan/mainboard are reporting wrong speeds or your setup introduces a ton of air turbulence.

If the two bottom fans don't do anything for CPU temps a third one on top won't either BTW. Before delidding I would start from scratch, check rpm and noise with only the Black Ridge heatsink + 120mm fan, with the bottom fans disabled and with a fan shroud around the Black Ridge (easy to build with cardboard eg.) so the CPU cooler can't recycle warm air from inside the case.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 11, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The quoted ~20°C temperature drop is usually just "normal" delidding as in, replace toothpaste with something like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, then reattaching the heat spreader. But that's load numbers, not idle (eg. stress testing with Prime95 or w/e). If you need direct die cooling to handle a 65W CPU there's still something wrong though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That fan speed and temp seems normal for Prime95, considering you're not using liquid metal between die and heat spreader.

What are your BIOS settings regarding TDP, multicore enhancements and AVX offset (unless you ran Prime with AVX off)?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's still 20 degrees below throttling so that's not even "super" high. The "65W" i7-8700 will draw almost 150 W (ie. only a little bit less than the "95W" i7-8700k) with AVX if you let it. It's pretty neat that we're running these things with low profile coolers at all :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Comedy option: Thermolab/Cooltek LP53 (optional: zip-tie quieter fan to it). It's probably more expensive than a NH-L9i though :v:

It's a really good copper heatsink, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scientist Al Gore posted:

I wonder if any of the new Z490 Intel boards are compatible with low profile heatsinks, the new VRM heat sinks are huge.
As long as the cooler isn't larger than the cooler clearance zone (which is unchanged from previous sockets as far as I can see) there shouldn't be any issues.

It will be harder for coolers like the Alpenföhn Black Ridge whose footprint is larger than the clearance zone and parts of the cooler overlap VRM setups or the PCI-e slot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think if a 140mm fan was feasible in that case Dan would have tried it for his HSLP-48 project (which was sold off to EKL who made the Black Ridge, because the original boutique / Kickstarter version wouldn't have been economically viable).

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not that crazy, considering some people remove their I/O shields in order to let warm air escape more easily. You ccould try to MacGyver a tiny fan in there to help :getin:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're using a fan but it's apparently not blowing out the back: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z490-I-GAMING/overview/
Asrock uses two fans on their TB3 version but, same deal as Asus (no room for rear exhaust): https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z490%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp
Maybe MSI? It has holes at least :v: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15723/the-intel-z490-motherboard-overview/40

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Wish there were more cases that copied the Corsair One lay out. Pretty much a vertical sandwich case with a big exhaust fan at the top to draw air thru side mounted radiators. If other manufacturers were going to copy the idea make it wide enough to put fans on the side radiators instead of relying solely on the big top fan as Corsair does.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x

:v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Dan C4 will apparently grow a little bit more in order to take 3-slot GPUs (in the classic layout).

The redesigned version is interesting to me again, a small tower cooler and a thicker GPU should allow quieter operation than the A4's tiny top-down coolers and 2-slot GPUs which are often the cheapest loudest SKUs of recent high-end cards (I wrote about the original design in the past, it was noticeably larger but still had size/cooling restrictions closer to the A4).

It mostly looks like this right now:

The first draft was mostly aimed at watercooling and supported a 240mm radiator at the bottom + a 2-slot GPU in sandwich mode. I hope he can finish it this year.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sandwich mode still exists:

and you can flip the entire case so the radiator is on top:

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 5, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It can already be put there? And the objective isn't to stay as small as possible anymore. The original iteration of the case was like that but you were seriously limited in hardware choice and Dan said it was horrible to build the computer, when he tried it in his prototype.

The case is more about SFF but with flexibility now (it first got about 10 mm wider to accomodate GPUs in a normal layout and now 6mm bigger to also fit 3-slot GPUs). You can use decent air coolers or watercooling and fat (cooler/quieter) GPUs without losing CPU cooler or radiator clearance.

I like it because GPUs aren't getting smaller and people can do fine air-cooled builds in the case if they want, too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scientist Al Gore posted:

It can be but then you have extra wasted space! I will admit though assembling the Dan A4 was not easy. The tolerances are quite extreme.
A case where you have no/minimal "extra" space would basically be tailor made for a specific configuration (like a console?), and I assume he actually wants to sell the case to more than five people :)

And it was worse than the A4, apparently.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Intel even has a white paper on it :v:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Honestly, if upgradeability with entirely unknown future parts is your main concern, don't buy a specialized case like the N1 that doesn't let you freely pick or replace the PSU and cooler/AIO. Although the 650 W PSU will probably not become a problem, since you're not doing extreme overclocking in that case (and can't run 2 GPUs and ten HDDs to begin with).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Repasting would only help if it eliminates something that went wrong completely (eg. people who forgot to remove the plastic sheet under the cooler) but if you applied your paste properly I'd expect like a 5°C difference, not almost 20.

Warmachine posted:

A bit of cursory searching suggests 50-55C is normal idle, which is loving bonkers to me on Team Blue but if I recall what I watched last night correctly AMD's chips "target" the 60-65C area with PB2.

You're probably fine. A better cooler would be great, but your Wraith is performing as expected.
That doesn't sound normal at all, no. Maybe if someone runs with a minimal cooler (which the stock cooler is not) with the Ryzen power plan at 30°C room temperature and has stuff running that keeps the CPU from actually idling. PB2 target temperatures are for boost clocks so idle temperatures don't really apply.

The T_die of my 2700X (which is roughly as warm as a 3600) is usually in the area of 35-45°C when it's just sitting there and that's in a Dan A4 (no case airflow) with a Noctua NH-L9a (way smaller than the stock cooler) on Windows Balanced. I have a long-term power limit of 95W set, but that affects boost clocks, not idle clocks/temperatures.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The case is large enough so it doesn't restrict the size of your GPU and coolers much, and it can use a "normal" setup with front to rear/top airflow, so a top-down cooler isn't strictly necessary . The smaller cases often don't have actual airflow or room for tower coolers, so they use top-down coolers to pull in air from the outside and - preferably - cool the mainboard's VRM and RAM. The Ryzen stock cooler should work fine in terms of cooling, but it's somewhat loud at higher RPM (ie. when it's not idle).

Personally I would actually put the NH-U12A in it but the cooler is expensive (and overkill), so I can see why you wouldn't want to :).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If it works like the 3600X the TDP difference is in default behaviour, if you set the limits accordingly in the BIOS you can probably make them draw equal amounts of power (but the 3600XT might be very slightly faster/more efficient there). It's not really worth $80 in cases where you can run them at their "auto-OC" boost clocks all day long and even less so in SFF cases where you may or may not want to limit their long term power consumption somewhat.

Also people said the case just about fits the NH-U12A with a height of 158 mm despite of the official clearance saying 155 mm max. The Hyper 212 is 159 mm though so :iiam:

Oh also the B550 chipset was officially released in mid June so yeah. For a 3600 you could technically also use a B450 mainboard (with a minor risk of getting one that needs a BIOS update), but B550 (and some X570) boards can have faster LAN and WLAN. The rest of the updated specs don't matter much in SFF PCs.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I looked at that board for a hypothetical refresh of my Dan A4 build, it's cool unless you need the SATA ports in which case the angled connectors are a huge headache in the very small cases.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

Question time do you think it's possible to fit a 157.5mm cpu cooler in an nr200p with the glass on? https://www.scytheus.com/mugen-5-argb-plus Cooler master says no 153mm . Hardwarecanuck says 158 to 159. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP3-881X5o Apparently the offsets are also like 6mm and maybe I could get the extra mm needed by going with smaller ones?
The Noctua U12x at 158 mm apparently just fits with the vented panel but not with the TG panel so I don't think the Mugen fits with the glass panel either, at least not without modifications.

Source: Pre-release thread by someone from CM

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

They did it, the absolute mad lads...

At least if their going to do a proprietary elongation of ITX they went with the direction that my chonker 3080 extends in.
Dan made minor alterations (a cutout to rotate the PSU I think) to his C4 design for builds using that (called the Linus Tech Tips option), it's great :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be honest the spinning rust drive in any SFF case is way worse than a few cables and mismatched colors :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ephori posted:

I have the following right now in a Dan A4:

-i7 6700K with a cryorig c7
-16GB corsair DDR4-3200
-asrock Z270M
-EVGA 3080 XC3
-2TB M2 and a couple SATA SSDs

It works great, but gets real loud under load obviously, and I feel like I'm due for an upgrade anyway since getting the 3080. If I was going to upgrade to a contemporary CPU & motherboard, any suggestions? Any other advice on upgrades to mitigate the fan noise? I'm open to liquid cooling but I'm only familiar with closed loop stuff.

Canna Happy posted:

B550/x570 and a 5600x would most likely be my pick for an a4. You could 3d print a fan bracket and a duct for your c7 and put a noctua on it or maybe use a noctua L9 and a duct. Water cooling options in a Dan are really limited, your only option is the 645lt from what I recall.
B550 and 5600X IMO. X570 doesn't get you anything ITX mainboards can actually use (B550 usually has better LAN options and no chipset fan). A Ryzen 5800X is said to be hot but it might work if you severely limit the TDP - at that point you might as well go 5900X and take the larger heat transfer area and more cores for $100 instead.

For water, the 645LT is the only option beyond sticking custom loops and larger radiators outside the case (some people do crazy things in the name of their SFF gods :v:), it's not really better than a properly set up air cooler in the case IIRC.

In terms of air coolers the Noctua L9a-AM4 is a good option that doesn't require much tinkering - the only thing you should put on it is a custom fan duct (3d print or cardboard) to avoid recycling hot air. If VRM/RAM temperatures are a concern you can stick a 120x15 mm fan on it with a custom adapter, on the L9i that didn't help but the L9a heatsink is larger so you get 1-2 degrees and some more air on the mainboard. There are a few ways to customize / optimize the CPU side by combining silent fans of your choice with different coolers' heatsinks. Like reusing the C7 with a better fan (you can find 3d printable adapters on Thingiverse eg.) like eg. a Noctua A9x14, or stick one of those under the Alpenföhn Black Ridge or on top of the Thermalright AXP-90R full copper version.

The main problem with noise in the A4 is running CPUs unlocked / auto-overclocked (I'd recommend setting a long term TDP limit of like 90 W, the CPU will still boost but not constantly), fan curves that make the fans ramp up and down all the time (very noticeable with Ryzens' boost behaviour) and having intake fans too close to the vented panels. If you're using (or planning to use) a fan underneath the mainboard you should make it push out the air at the bottom for that reason.

How is the EVGA RTX 3080 fitting and working for you? I always imagined it must be sort of loud in that case, but I was thinking about trying to get one for my A4 eventually.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

It also doesn't have bios flashback which is probably the bigger issue.
Until they're buying the B550 board for a hypothetical Ryzen 6000 CPU that's not really a problem?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are you running these CPUs unlocked (ie. unlimited TDP) or WTF?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Not sure how easy it is with AMD CPUs but some undervolting and power limiting in the bios has done wonders for me on Intel.
Some BIOS versions hide the options in weird places (IIRC on my B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi the power limit options are in the peripherals menu :confused: behind a "do you want to enable overclocking, if your computer explodes that's on you okay?" prompt) but it's not hard at all, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Technically the NH-U12A is better and bigger but just a few posts ago people were complaining it was too hot/loud which is utterly :confused: to me, I guess it won't help if you run a dysfunctional case fan setup?