Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

Rip dual slot gpu cases.
I don't know their reason in particular, but yeah the SFF high performance cases which only allow 2-slot GPU designs are DoA for the latest GPU generation. Most of the current "max hardware / min size" cases like the Dan A4, Ghost S1, Sliger 550/570 etc. started development when there were a lot of 2-slot options for Pascal cards all the way up to the GTX 1080 Ti, but that didn't last. It was pretty bad with the RTX 2000 series already, but the RX 6700/RTX 3070 and up have like 3 SKUs per GPU that still fit these cases (if you could buy the GPUs, that is), everything else is 2.5 slots and bigger. That's okay if your niche is midrange and lower hardware, but iGPU users will buy a NUC or DeskMini, and someone making price-sensitive builds with a GTX 1660 will probably not buy a $250 boutique case.

Dan scrapped the original ideas for the A4-H20/C4-SFX, Lian Li is making a version of those drafts as the A4-H20 now and it has room for 2.7-slot GPUs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3S5y_uaFKQ&t=12s

His C4-SFX redesign is closer in size to the Ncase M1 or NR200 now and takes up to 3-slot GPUs:

The A4 will get side panels that add some room for thicker GPUs (and CPU coolers), and he considers making the next revision wider to allow for 2.5 slot GPUs at least:

It's clear that "make case that only works with 5-10 specific GPU models of the latest generation" is not viable anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kunabomber posted:

It's not viable because you can't choose what GPU SKU you get anymore, you just take whatever they have in stock if you're lucky.
It's both. Even if the "released" GPUs were available it wouldn't be viable. In the past, production of reference cards was usually stopped after a while, on some markets they weren't being sold at all, and the AIBs only made 2-slot cards in their cheapest tiers where the heatsinks suck and the fans are loud. Obviously that was still better than the 2-slot designs not existing at all (the RTX 3080 had like three or four cards: FE, the EVGA XC Black and Gaming and a Gigabyte Gaming model IIRC, 3090 had some blower design by Asus maybe(?) and even 3070 cards mostly reused the 3080 coolers outside of the FE) or not being able to buy specific models because you can't actually buy GPUs this year.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume 3090 also doesn't do too well since there's probably no airflow over the backplate/VRAM chips?
You can fit a 120x15 mm fan under the mainboard in the A4 (including the future revision / optional side panels that allow for 2.5-slot cards, not sure about the Lian Li A4 H2O) which I think would help with that.

The main problem is the RTX 3000 FE through-fans are trapping hot air behind the card, people got significantly better temps by removing the plastic sheet between mainboard and GPU, and adding a few mm with taller standoffs. But that only works if you're not using every last mm to fit the GPU in the first place.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah a bottom fan should help with that (also a bunch of 3rd party coolers have cutouts in the backplate for the last fan to blow through, similar problem as the FE).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still waiting on having money again then I'll throw a Quadro RTX A5000 and a Ryzen 5900X (or 6800/6900 by then) into a Dan A4.

The current (and rumoured future) GPU generation has not been kind to <10l SFF cases.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

I was hitting 80C with mine in an NR200 and using an NH-U12A :/
Still 10 or 15°C (can't remember) below throttling, what's the problem? :D

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 23, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
SFF fans will pay a premium for ITX boards, and people who think they need 50 phase VRMs like world record OCers will buy $500+ ATX boards. The mATX board comes with an air of "doesn't try hard enough" so manufacturers probably think they can't sell mATX boards for those $500.

While technically mATX would be sufficient for most users ever since multi-GPU setups died, there's a chicken/egg problem where at least in the past, mATX was for budget mainboards so enthusiasts didn't buy them so there was no incentive to make high-end mATX boards.

And yeah if you can make a case slightly bigger and put a full ATX board in there, why bother. Just buy the $200 ITX board.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think that's an issue, it's not trying to compete with size minimized boutique cases.

And yeah the former Dan A4 H2O was still trying to be as small as possible, somewhere you have to decide whether you want to size up and allow the next bigger tier of coolers or radiators, or not.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

So Lian Li is manufacturing DAN A4 cases now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwoiyvCQ4U
He always had Lian Li manufacturing the cases, this is just the first/only one they released under their own brand.

IIRC the A4-H2O is similar to the original C4-SFX concept, before Dan redesigned that one to be slightly larger in order to be more generally useful. I guess there was enough demand for the old version for Lian Li to pick it up. It's also much cheaper than the C4 (mostly due to using lots of steel where Dan mostly uses aluminium).

E: Added quote because new page.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 5, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This will be great for the upcoming 600W GPU setups :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gigabyte has a DDR4 version of the Aorus Z690I Ultra, the ITX mainboard they recalled over PCIe 4.0 issues :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can never decide which part of that name is more ridiculous, Lian Li calling the brand "Sunny Side Up Design" or the case being the "Meshlicious".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Both of them are rumoured to push voltage beyond reason to have the longer dick in benchmarks. You should still be able to take one of these insane cards and undervolt/underclock them just fine, but you're going to be paying "SUPER GAMER OC+++" prices for it anyway.

Or just buy the workstation cards because those actually aren't built for "+50% power draw, +5% performance" applications. Sucks their prices make scalpers look generous :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's pretty cool, the GPU shenanigans since 2020 made me get off the tiny SFF case train and I dislike AIOs anyway. Big fan of putting a baby head cooler and (mostly) any modern GPU into a smallish case though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Mushroom S already supports ATX boards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It all depends on the "quality" requirement which is completely arbitrary, but just off the top of my head:
  • As a reference point the Lian Li's A4 H20 is 11 liters and takes a single 2.5" drive with a 240 mm radiator, this is a shoebox that I'd consider the minimal size that's feasible for modern hardware without having to jump through a ton of hoops with mandatory custom cables, external PSUs, external custom loop cooling or having half the GPU hang out of the case.
  • The upcoming Dan C4 SFX is <14 liters and comes with 280 mm radiator support and room for two 2.5" drives.
  • The Lian Li Q58 and Meshlicious are both <15 liters, for 280 mm radiators and up to four places to put 2.5" drives.
  • The Mueshroom S will also be <15 liters, support two 280 mm radiators and up to seven 2.5" drives.
  • Coolermaster NR200 is <19 liters for up to 280 mm radiators, can take up to three 2.5" drives.
  • Also at the upper limit around/just below 20 liters, Lian Li will release the A3 ATX which is aiming for 360 mm radiator support, but this will take a while to come out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just really want the C4-SFX to come out already because the A4 is neat but not big enough for today's GPUs and CPUs. I mean, it runs them and it's not losing much performance, but I know I DO lose performance by restricting PPT and I would like to be able to pick from more than three GPUs per type.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just put a "RTX™ 6000 Ada Generation" in your SFF computer :v:

Which apparently inherited the insane naming scheme of the old Titan cards, makes sense as a workstation GPU I guess?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:laffo: Asus wants almost €400 for the Asus ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI, and MSI wants $240 for the MSI MPG B650I Edge WIFI so that's going to be close to €300. This is hilarious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-123#post-271666
The Dan C4-SFX will be 14.7 liters instead of the previously planned 13.37 (:v:), looking at the compatibility list of currently announced RTX 4080/4090 and RX 7900 cards this makes sense and the larger dimensions probably aren't very noticeable unless you put the smaller version right next to the large one (which you can't).

E: I think 2023 is realistic, but fair: It was already supposed to be out "soon" in 2020 :v:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 16, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
While the trend for GPU sizes has been going in the opposite direction for three refresh generations now, this case is even more aimed at putting the fastest hardware into an ITX box than eg. the A4 or A4-H2O. He already makes cases where you can only fit 2-slot FEs and approximately three basic AIB models per card. That's also not an exaggeration, the compatibility list for RX 7900 partner cards in the small version of the C4 lists exactly two models. For RTX 4090 partner cards it's zero. He probably wants to avoid the situation of the Dan A4 and RTX 3080 cards, where the compatibility list included FE cards and EVGA XC3 models (which they never really made/sold) and nothing else.

It's not safe to bet on the slower cards ending up being significantly smaller, with the possible exception of reference models. And while FE cards might be almost sensible, their availability is limited (in quantity but especially location, they're not sold in every country) and the alternative partner cards all tend to be (way) larger. For AMD cards the problem is similar, the AMD RX 7900 cards are small (but also somewhat limited by that "tiny" cooler, and also not available everwhere and only in small numbers) while all the partner cards are gigantic. So the 4090 might be ridiculous but the case creator can't really aim for the "average" 4070 or RX 7800 cards which are not out yet, without losing yet another few months. And the lesson from the RTX 2000 and the RTX 3000/RX 6000 generations is that especially the third party vendors will often move their oversized coolers down the stack longer than they need to, in order to save on tooling cost and so they can pump another 20% power through the card for bars that are 5% longer.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC (from reading people using the 3080 FE cards in the A4), they work fine after removing the plastic foil and using standoffs for the riser.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It depends a lot on what you're planning to do, and you have to keep the restrictions in mind. You can't run modern CPUs fully unlocked with these tiny coolers (and using a 92mm AIO won't really change that) but for eg. gaming where you might be GPU bound or have a 2-3 threads maxed out that's alright. If your use case is having the case sit next to you on the desk while you do rendering or other productivity, I would definitely get a bigger case with a proper tower cooler or big radiator. Even with limited TDP and undervolting, the fans will quickly have to spin up to their maximum RPM, which isn't remotely quiet with 92mm fans, and you probably don't want them to do this constantly.

As one of the people who run this 5800X3D+NH-L9a combo, I have 90W PPT set for mine for a start. In the Dan A4 with TDP limits in the 80-90W range all CPUs I used will approach their respective throttling t_max in stress tests and stay there long term while sitting at base clocks, but without actual thermal throttling. That's obviously going to stay under the maximum performance you'd get out of the CPU with "real" coolers in a big case (one of the reasons I'm planning to move it to a bigger case is so I can use eg. a D12L). I have yet to mess with curve optimizer, that might help a bit more.

My fan curve in UEFI is set to run at 30% RPM (nearly silent with that fan) up to reaching 45°C. It ramps up to 70% RPM (which is audible but not bad) until hitting 80°C, when it will max the RPM and become very noticeable, but I still wouldn't call it "loud". It's not an annoying volume level to me, but that's a living room PC sitting next to the TV. My conclusion would be different if I was doing productivity tasks all day with a 92mm fan doing 2500 RPM right next to me.

Temps are "fine" but they could be better. In Windows the PC idles in the 40-50°C range, like all Ryzen it's very happy to rev up for even the tiniest background tasks like search indexer turning on, and then it can temporaily spike to the 50s or low 60s and slowly drop back down. Installs and updates can make it run up to the low 80s for the duration. Stress tests on all cores (like Prime or Cinebench) will eat up the entire PPT and run up to the max. temp as described above. For games it really depends: I usually run with a 60 fps limit at 1080p. Modern games utilizing many cores will reach higher temps (in the 80s), the somewhat older games I play, or 3DMark, will frequently hit the max. boost clock as needed and stay in the 70-80°C range. If the game is GPU bound or runs into the FPS limiter, the fan noise at 70% RPM is alright.

E: My next modification was going to be that new be quiet! Pure Rock LP but with a Noctua fan, but I don't expect much and most of the PC will move into a bigger case at some point this year (Dan C4, if it really comes out :v:), so it's not a priority. I had a LP53 with a Noctua fan on the Core i7 and I wish there was a version of that heatsink for AM4.
E2: Edits since I finally used the machine again and could check some numbers.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh hey the Dan C4-SFX is finally launching next week.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-143#post-276198 posted:

The case will be available through our partner stores. European customers are able to buy from Caseking. International customers can order from OverclockerUK or ComputerOrbit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh phew CaseKing still has them in stock :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

unimportantguy posted:

I am weirdly enchanted by the Fractal Terra and am heavily considering building a new PC in it to replace my 8 year old gaming PC. I've also been assuming for a while that my next computer would have a 7800X3D and whatever 7700/7800/whatever midrange GPU AMD manages to put out eventually. Is this a sane idea, or am I inviting horrible temperatures and/or performance? Can the X3D work well with a low-profile cooler or is that too much of a compromise?
The main issue in these sandwich style ITX shoeboxes is usually CPU cooling, and noise. If the computer is doing work 24/7 and sitting next to you on your desk, even the best 120 mm fans will be annoying - there's no soundproofing and you'll have smaller CPU fans working harder. In games you're more likely to be running in the 50-70% RPM range though and with just a bit of distance that might be okay. Meanwhile the GPU is primarily a compatibility issue, but you have to be okay with limited OC here, too.

The X3D CPUs don't use that much power but the cache stack (especially on the single chiplet 6 or 8 core CPUs) adds to heat density issues which will be worse with a low profile cooler. You will generally have to accept higher temps, and mess with curve optimizer and power limits if the heat or noise gets too high. If you absolutely need the last % of performance you definitely want a bigger case. In games it's no big deal, you sacrifice like 5% performance with sensible power limits. But if you're rendering or doing anything else asking for full performance for as long as possible, the hit will be significant. I run a 5800X3D in a Dan A4, with my settings it can boost up to max clocks for a few seconds and that's usually all games are asking for. Stuff like Cinebench will quickly make all cores/threads fall back to the base clocks instead, and stay there for the duration (this also runs the 92 mm CPU fan at 100%, which is pretty bad).

The Terra allows you to use up to 77 mm height for a CPU cooler which will fit the better top-down air coolers (Black Ridge with 120 x 25 mm fan on top, Noctua NH-L12S, Big Shuriken 3 etc.), but for their maximum performance you're still limited to 2 or 2.2 slot GPUs. This is still the better compromise than scaling down the CPU side to even lower profile coolers, but in my experience (with the Dan A4 and cards in the RDNA 2/RTX 2000/RTX 3000 generations) it opts you out of some desirable medium tier "OC" models.

Overall, people have been building flagship CPUs + RTX 3000/4000 FEs in the Dan A4 just fine(TM) so I'm going to assume doing a bit less in a slightly bigger/more flexible Fractal Terra will work okay, but consider your use case and your tolerance for fan noise.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 3, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

What's your gpu tho? Since the terra seems to dictate the size of CPU cooler by the size of your GPU. I don't think there are any 2 slot GPUs this generation (except for those 4060s )
There are a few 2-slot RTX 4070 cards, and RDNA2 up to the RX 6700XT also had a bunch. I'd expect it to be limited, but not impossible, to find midrange GPUs if you're trying to maximize CPU cooling in that case (the 7700X also uses more power than the 7800X3D and for a mostly gaming use case, the latter is seriously better).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if your plan is using modern CPUs unlimited or even overclocked, abandon the idea of getting a sandwich case. Coolers in the range of a Noctua L12S are decent but still not amazing at cooling those CPUs (definitely weaker than the D12L) and it will limit you to 2-slot cards again. Using it as a "Dan A4 with better CPU cooling" is a viable option but that doesn't help if you already have a 2.5+ slot GPU you want to stick in there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO all the (originally announced) AM5 ITX boards suck, and the prices are absurd.

But yeah that's the exact same selection we have in Switzerland :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At least AM4 boards still exist here in case mine breaks before the next generation AM5 chipsets/CPUs launch :v:

Really curious what Gigabyte is doing, not selling their B650 board here.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The collaboration project sold as the Lian-Li A4 H2O, which fits a 240mm radiator on top: https://lian-li.com/product/a4h2o/

E: That case is basically the production version of the original C4-SFX idea:

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 13, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Update:

Good news and bad news! The C4-SFX v1 is sold out. Nearly everyone that is on OcUK preorder will get a case. Caseking is now moving the last inventory to them.
Before you ask there will be not a second production run of the v1 !

I already startet my work on v2. I will change a lot of things so the v2 will be more like a C4-TWOt. I can show you more within the next two weeks. The v2 will be on preorder later this year and shipped early 2024.

He obviously underestimated the demand and the first production run is basically sold out now (I think CaseKing still has some in black) so that sucks if you didn't buy one since orders opened a month ago. On the other hand they're still boutique cases in fairly limited numbers and gaps in availability should have been expected.

Regarding the new version, he says he doesn't want to risk suppliers sitting on unsold V1 cases while the V2 is teased/sold, which happened with the earlier versions of the A4. The V2 will use the same layout and is roughly the same size so I don't really agree with "effectively a different case":

quote:

- same layout as the v1
- a tiny bit less in volume
- new look
- flat pack (much easier for shipping and much more economic) - like IKEA
- hardware compatibility increased
- extra kits to customize colors
The V2 preview looks like this:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As a user of a Dan A4 for TV gaming, :yeah:

Fractal Terra will be fine. A modern Ryzen with 65W eco mode or manual TDP limits, so even a tiny CPU cooler with a 3-slot card is fine (but personally I'd recommend using a not-much-more-than-2-slot GPU and a higher CPU cooler but YMMV).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sadly there's no B550 ITX board that does all the things at once, some have dumb fans, some have barely accessible CMOS headers, some have USB-C headers and others don't etc. The Gigabyte had the things I wanted and I never had issues with my B450 and B550 Gigabyte ITX boards, but I heard horror stories about their support too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xcVF04B_M

I'd probably get the Asrock phantom gaming nowadays. Or the basic B550m if you don't need fancy features, and you shouldn't be overclocking Ryzens anyway.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
so I guess the flat packing and new design for the C4 are pushed back to a later revision, and the V2 will mostly be an optimized, slightly larger V1 so it can have mATX support

also the I/O panel moves to where it should have been in the first place IMO (front/bottom) and gains USB-A and 3.5 mm jacks (good for my Gigabyte B550 I which lacks an internal USB-C header)

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/1accu6e/dan_c4sfx_v2_update/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is that unsurprising?

After watching that yesterday I'm glad the next C4-SFX version is not flatpacked yet, I absolutely do not want to deal with IKEA style PC cases.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean in some way it's not that different than the endless M1 revisions? Apparently the one Steve tested already doesn't exist anymore as a thing you can buy. There will be more runs of the C4 and you can get them used :shrug:

And yeah almost all the criticism in that video is about the infinite screws you have to handle, how terrible the manual was, how the flexibility is nice but mechanically it's a pain to do etc. Also the case is very expensive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Dan Cases collaboration (atm) is the A4-H2O (should be available?), with a larger mATX "A3" rumoured to be announced at their event tomorrow. Like that's the entire point, having a manufacturer mass-produce certain cases so they're not $250 bucks and constantly sold out (for the A4 and C4, Dan designed them and ordered runs of x units from Lian Li and as far as I can tell he will do this again for the C4-SFX V2).

I don't know. I was frequently checking Lian Li cases for builds in the early 2000s and never bought one because they weren't particularly better than the cheaper "mass-market stamped sheet metal" cases with better availability. Outside the Ssupd cases they have several cases now that don't seem bad at all, unless they're bad because mass market :shrug:

E: Oh I see. Pointless elitism, yay.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You probably get more out of spending the CAD 160 (or less?) on a good USB DAC but someone else or audio threads here will have more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

That's pretty niche, isn't it? I'm sure we'll get cases that make use of it after a while but right now I can't think of any off-hand. Max CPU cooler height Terra?
"At a height of 77mm (7mm taller than the original NH-L12S’ 70mm), the NH-L12Sx77 is a perfect fit for Fractal Design’s Terra (with the maximum space setting for the CPU cooler), SilverStone’s Milo ML12 or Louqe’s unique, award-winning RAW S1 chassis as well as many other cases that cannot fit the larger NH-C14S (115mm in low-profile mode) or NH-D9L (110mm)."
:)