Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Getting the M1 down to the noise levels you're currently experiencing is not going to be possible. The noise-deadening material in the Define is very effective, and high-end air won't be able to make up for it, especially at load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Arctic extreme and a large cpu cooler are going to give you the best results with the M1, it's just not going to be near-silent the way a Define or similar noise-deadened case are. The M1 is a nice case, don't get me wrong. It just won't be able to provide the same degree of noise control.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

What's some good mATX cases to look for? Looking to get the boyfriend a more airflow friendly case. I'll be avoiding bottom intake due to pets and carpets. Looking for full-size GPU support, good airflow, as compact as possible without sacrificing too much 3.5" and 2.5" drive space.

Are you sure you mean mATX? mATX boards are only a couple inches shorter than full ATX and the same width, so there aren't a lot of very compact mATX cases. Motherboard selection is also very thin now that you can cram audio, wifi, and an m.2 slot or two onto an itx board, so most people don't have a need for more expansion. I have a fractal design define mini c which is great, but it's also not much smaller than the regular define c, and if I keep it when I upgrade I'll probably just have to get an ITX board to go in it. Other than that it meets your requirements - good airflow, full-length GPU, and two or three 3.5" and 2.5" slots each, although it's not very compact - more of a smaller tower than something truly SFF.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Yes I know what the difference between ATX, mATX, and ITX is and I went through that with him, he doesn't want an ITX build because SFF sized stuff tends to be at more of a premium and he doesn't particularly care for a smaller case that sits on a desk.

Just checking! In that case i’ll double down on my fractal design recs of the define mini or meshify mini. They’re more compact tower than SFF but they hit everything else on your list in a decently small footprint for a floor-standing case, you’ll never have any compatibility problems, they’re great to build in, and - since you have pets and carpet - all the intakes are filtered, and the filters are very easy to clean. Meshify has better airflow while Define trades some airflow for noise-dampening foam on every interior surface.

I’d also look at the matx motherboard situation very closely before pulling the trigger, though. There’s a compact atx model in both lines that has the same footprint and three inches more height, but full atx compatibility means you’re not restricted to the handful of matx motherboards released for a modern socket.

To compare dimensions to something like that SAMA: the sama is 391 x 185 x 303mm (L x W x H), while the meshify 2 mini is 396 x 205 x 406 mm. So you’re shaving almost nothing off the length, about an inch off the width, and four inches off the top, where you probably won’t care if it’s going under a desk. And for that you get worse airflow and fewer features, though the sama is admittedly cheaper.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

That 500w PSU - yikes. Totally missed that one

edit: actually, good chance to ask, is a Platinum PSU worth the price over Gold if you're someone who leaves the computer on almost all the time?

Imo yes, especially for sff. The price difference is pretty minor now and maybe more important than the power savings, you get less heat in the case.

Arzachel posted:

What functionality would you be missing with a mITX board that mATX provides? If anything, the latter usually end up worse equipped because consumers view mATX more as a cost saving measure than a form factor.

this is it for me. If you do care about height, the difference between itx and matx is bigger than the difference between matx and atx, and you don’t pay any more or lose any functionality these days. if you don’t care about height there’s no reason to go matx.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cygni posted:

While true, people should know what to expect for the price difference. At 100% full load, the difference between Gold and Plat is 2%. 87% minimum vs 89%. And most SFF case designs smartly dump the PSU heat outside of the case.

All things being equal, I wouldn't spend a lot extra for Plat vs Gold. If the specific Plat unit has other things that make it more worthwhile in the long term though, like warranty or cables or higher capacity which makes you incline to keep it longer, thats likely the better choice.

Going from 13% efficiency to 11% equals a 15% reduction in the energy consumption, and heat output, of the psu specifically (at full load ofc). It’s admittedly not a large change in the output of the complete system, but it’s a significant difference in the specific component. You can decide what that’s worth to you but imo it is well worth the $10 or $20 difference most brands seem to charge

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cygni posted:

Fair enough. Again, I’m not saying they are worthless, I’m saying people should know what the value for their dollar really is. Small, is generally the answer. If it’s super cheap or there are other benefits, great! But the difference between gold and plat, all other things being equal, is very small.

If the choice is between $50 for a PSU with a plat instead of gold or the next step up on GPU, the GPU is going to be the better option in my book 9 times out of 10.

The marginal benefit of $50 extra spent on gpu, which probably only buys you a small clock speed increase, is also very small. If your $50 or $20 can either save you a few watts (and an accompanying degree and a decibel or two) or buy you a handful of extra fps, for you that might be the gpu 9 out of 10 but it would probably be the efficiency for me

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Lol @ "getting mad". Please point me to actually good cases that slot between the 4-10L of ultra SFF and the 24L of mainstream SFF, anywhere close to the quality of what FormD, Louqe, etc. put out.

Also please show a diagram of your mental gymnastics where me asking for higher end slightly roomier cases suddenly makes your shoebox not exist?

used ncase m1 @ 12.7L. It won’t fit a 280 radiator but it will fit a 240 fine and frankly 280 isn’t a basic part

if you’re asking why the cutting edge hype designers aren’t doing m1 derivatives any more, it’s because that space is very crowded now and it’s so hard to stand out that even the original m1 is out of production

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

What is the best ITX case for GPUs that size?

the fractal design ridge looks pretty good if you want the console form factor, and it looks like the updated ncase m1 is shipping in waves. Either should support any (air-cooled) high-end gpu

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Nice they found someone competent to review it instead.

despite all that it seems like he came to the same conclusion as Linus - fiddly build and thermals not as good as individual blocks. A lot of the criticism from Steve was that Linus was "too harsh" on a small business making an extremely expensive niche product, and frankly that's a plus for me from a reviewer. Don't get so buddy-buddy with these guys, you're not their marketing team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

His criticism wasn't because they were harsh, but because they dragged it while testing it with incompatible parts, making it look worse from a performance perspective than it actually was. And then apparently stole the prototype (unless I'm misremembering which product it was).

ltt did a bunch of other really dumb and heinous poo poo, but the reason they gave for not retesting the block with correct parts is that they didn't think the performance gain would be significant enough to change the conclusion, and it turns out they were right about that

quote:

If they had said this is a stupid product for nobody outside of the niche-est of niche builders after testing it fairly I don't think anyone would have thought anything of it.

I do find it funny that steve is now going out of his way to avoid saying this. "it's a great product if you have the ability to do custom case fabrication!" like c'mon dude