Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

wipeout posted:

I've read that the thermaltake core x1 can fit a 400mm rad in the top, does anyone have any experience of this?

I have that case and have not tried a rad that big but I very much doubt it. The case is nearly a perfect cube and if you look up some pictures of it, that front fan is a 200mm and occupies much of the width. A 200x200 could probably fit on the top or front with a little custom work but not a 200x400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

It's been mentioned a few times in the build thread, and I'm sure it has in here too, could be wrong. Plenty of good reviews out there.

Either way, it's a good case, nothing wrong with it. It's just a little larger than the guys that want to cram everything into the smallest box are looking for.

I'd definitely go for it if I was building a mini ITX box, especially if you have a GPU that needs room to breathe.

I almost went with a Nano S but ultimately decided on a Core 500. The main reason was GPU cooling. The Nano S puts half of the GPU about 0.5" from the top of the PSU. That is enough to make my 980ti FTW thermal throttle below its normal boost of 1400mhz. The Node 304 and Core 500 give the GPU lots of fresh air so it's only limited by power delivery. The Nano S was definitely designed with GPU watercooling in mind.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Coredump posted:

Agreed. These were used parts I got off sa-mart as part of an unplanned but happy upgrade. Still haven't gotten the washers yet to get the standoff screws nice and tight. Apparently what happens is with the standoff screws being loose the water block / pump assembly is not as tight as it needs to be for cooling. This is apparently a common thing with those h60's. I had no idea. I wish Corsair would include some optional washers in the package.

I have the same loose bottom plate on my h60 and asus h97i-plus but the top plate is still nice and tight to the point where the arms on it flex a bit. Idle temps are usually 27-32c. Just throwing in my anecdotal evidence that some play doesn't mean something is wrong.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

well why not posted:

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

Take a look at the node 304. It is almost the exact shape and size. A notable missing feature is the 280mm top opening of the core 500 but the exterior is about as plain as you can find.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Goons, I need help! The Define Nano S requires a PSU 160mm or smaller. All of the PSUs in the OP meet that restriction by a mile, but for some reason PCPartPicker is flagging every single one of them as incompatible with the case. Does anyone know why this is happening, and if so, have a different PSU they'd recommend?

Here's the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($399.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1233.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 23:48 EDT-0400

Unless you are going to watercool that GPU, pay very close attention to how close it's fan(s) will be to the PSU.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

She doesn't really need the portability at all. Well, she is still kind of stuck on the idea of having a permanent set up. I am pondering if she wouldn't just be happier with a Windows tablet that she can dock.

I was thinking I could set her up with a NUC, but she's hoping that we both use the same cases. Me, well, I just play a ton of Minecraft, but I mess around with 3d game development, so I need a good-enough graphics card. That screws up a lot of stuff right there.

Doesn't the ncase m1 have a top slot load optical version? Another albeit bigger option is the fractal core 500.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

showdown posted:

Has anyone had experience with a non-blower GPU in a node 304? I need to build for a casual gamer (SC2/source games) who needs a discrete GPU, but definitely wants a quiet machine. I'm a little concerned about heat already though...

I have a 980ti FTW in the same shape and size core 500 with only a rear exhaust 120mm going through a corsair h60 and it runs fine if not overclocking. GPU is usually mid 70s when not frame capped.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I believe the mini c is micro atx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

It's pretty easy to slide in. I've done it before