Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I really want a Fractal Terra, but I’m concerned about having to drop to a lower end CPU cooler again. When I moved from a Thermaltake Core V1 to a Cooler Master NR200P I was able to upgrade from a Noctua NH-U9S to the NH-D12L. It looks like the Terra, with a Triple-Slot GPU, would only be able to handle something like an NH-L9x, which wouldn’t be able to handle my 5900X with its current OC settings due to thermals. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Currently looking to downsize my existing PC, reusing my Gigabyte RTX 3070 (L=286 W=115 H=51 mm) and Ryzen 5800X3D.

Any suggestions on a B550 mini-itx board that isn't gigabyte (I had to replace my gigabyte mobo last year after they refused to repair/replace multiple times when it regularly would not boot, while still under warranty)?

Was thinking of going Cooler Master NR200 for the case. Haven't even looked at PSUs yet.

There is the ASRock B550m-ITX/ac https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VYCHMG for $130 and the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VYCHMG for $192.

I have an NR200P and for a PSU I'm running a Cooler Master V850 SFX https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Efficiency-Included-Warranty/dp/B0CFCZYC2Q?th=1

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Seeing some theorizing that maybe having a metal housing/frame allows tighter tolerances for the space between the fan blade tips and the surrounding housing, which maybe alters the resonance of the fan, possibly reducing the sounds. Though as stated, if it actually makes a reasonable difference Noctua would have likely done it already. Also should probably be noted that the fan blades themselves are still plastic.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t there another “controversy” at some point in the last couple years where Igor’s Lab posted extremely unreliable data about something else? Maybe PS5 thermals or something?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

And then apparently stole the prototype (unless I'm misremembering which product it was).

Sold “Auctioned” the block after being asked to return it and lost the 3090 that the block was attached to when it was sent to Linus for a while. The GPU was probably sitting in someone’s computer, given the LMG Intel/AMD tech upgrade videos always show people have a LOT of stuff from the office getting appropriated for home use.