Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Is... is that not what it's supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I am weirdly enchanted by the Fractal Terra and am heavily considering building a new PC in it to replace my 8 year old gaming PC. I've also been assuming for a while that my next computer would have a 7800X3D and whatever 7700/7800/whatever midrange GPU AMD manages to put out eventually. Is this a sane idea, or am I inviting horrible temperatures and/or performance? Can the X3D work well with a low-profile cooler or is that too much of a compromise?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 3, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks for the responses! My primary use case is usually gaming with some occasional light video capture/editing on the side. Sometimes I fiddle with virtual machines for fun. I'm reasonably fan-noise tolerant but would prefer not to have a whole-rear end wind tunnel going on because I don't live alone.

For context, I've been considering an SFF build for a while in part because my living space is not very large, and so I don't have a lot of room for my PC. My current PC, which I built in a Fractal Node 804 when I lived in a larger place, is just way too big for this space, and basically the only place I can put it is underneath my desk, which means I have no space for my legs.

Based on responses in this thread, I'm wondering if it wouldn't end up better to go with less CPU to generate less heat. In this use case with an eye towards this size of build, would it make more sense to go with something like a 7700X (or even 7600x), forgoing the extra cache for lower thermals?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The current hope is that there will be a 2-slot 7700/whatever AMD comes up with that is reasonably competitive with the 2-slot 4070s. I'm on Linux so I'd prefer to buy an AMD GPU. (I suppose could buy an RX 6700XT as a for-now stopgap if it came to that.)

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 4, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Where does one even go for CPU coolers? Newegg and Amazon seem to be a strikeout for the NH-L12S and Scythe Big Shuriken.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm going forward with my Terra build with 7800X3D and a 6700XT. Got the parts ordered. :toot:

This is my first rodeo for ITX/SFF so any good general-purpose building advice is appreciated.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

buglord posted:

what CPU cooling solution are you gonna use?

I have a Thermalright AXP120-X67 on the way. Should be a perfect fit.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 19, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Just finished putting all the parts in my Terra and other than spending a while going :ohdear: at the thermal paste, everything went smoothly. The case is a dream to work in. My copy job to get data off my old computer is still running, and I don't have the space here to run both at the same time, so I won't be able to boot up for a while yet. Will report further when I can actually start the computer.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Double posting to update a few hours later: computer now boots and it's so nice. It's surprisingly quiet all things considered as well. The build in the Terra was quite easy and fun and I would recommend it to anybody unless you really need a 7900X or a 4090 or similar sorts of setups.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I built my current PC in a Terra and cannot imagine cramming a 7900XT in there. But if it does fit I want pictures. :stare:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Well drat! I felt nervous about getting a 6700XT in that thing. The 7900XT looks really neat in there too.

Edit: How tall is your CPU cooler?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I really ought to put a bottom fan in my Terra. When the case first came out I saw people saying a bottom fan didn't do anything or actively made temps worse but everything I've seen since then seems to indicate it helps a lot.