Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've been tempted to downsize from an N200 to something smaller since I only use one video card and the NCASE M1 is really nice. That Kickstarter case is nice too but they wouldn't ship until December, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I caved and bought an M1 and it looks fantastic. With regards to temps for SFF, what do you all typically aim for? I got an H105 for liquid cooling because its tubes were flexible and narrow enough to fit, but if I clock my 6700k to 4.7ghz it can get up to 70+ degrees under load, whereas 4.4ghz has it between about 55-60. I'm wondering if I should put on a different paste than what it came with (which I do have), or if I should switch it out to one of those Noctua heatsinks (I have two Noctua fans on the radiator) as people seem to like those for these builds. The GPU seems to get between 65-70ish when in use, but as it's a 1080 I'm not particularly bothered by that. The system is super quiet though, so perhaps I should just leave it as is.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've had a V5 M1 for years now but just ordered an SM570. For as reliable as the M1 has been, it's just a huge pain in the rear end to work with if you want to use an AIO cooler, and I have a 3900x that I'm using with an X52 and it's just too much to cram into such a small space. I'm sure custom cabling helps but it's still pretty tight.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ilkhan posted:

I've been looking at a 580 with a custom 280mm rad setup. Just don't know if I trust a single 280 to cool a 3700+next gen GPU when they come out.

For what it's worth, the X52 is jammed into the M1 right now and the 3900x is doing way better than it was with a U9S, by at least 5-10c, and idle probably goes as low as 40-42c whereas the U9S couldn't keep it below 50c most all of the time. I saw it mentioned by someone else on Reddit, but my ASUS X470-I motherboard also just doesn't respect fan speed curve settings so it'd constantly wind up and down. I think a heavy workload doesn't put it above 60-65c and it's pretty much silent with Noctua fans on the radiator. I have a 1080ti and am considering upgrading it at some point. I can't do much in the way of OC though for the CPU or RAM because of the BIOS still having problems, so if they persist I might upgrade to the Gigabyte X570.

There's a lot of great looking projects on SFF.net like the Sidearm T1 and the Mjolnir, but they're all still up in the air and Sliger seems to have a good track record.